Search this Thread

Old Nov 8th, 2005, 03:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
traveling in italy

itinerary:

day 1: arrive in rome late afternoon
day 2: all day in rome
day 3: train rome to naples, see pompeii, boat to capri and spend the night in capri
day 4: morning walk around capri, boat to sorrento, drive along almafi coast, spend the night in positano
day 5: positano, seina, lucca (night at lucca)
day 6: lucca, pisa, drive our way to florence
day 7: florence (maybe venice?), night in florence
day 8: florence to pisa and to paris..

would love suggestions of stops along the way. is this too aggressive? things i should go/miss?
Old Nov 8th, 2005, 04:41 PM
rex

It's aggressive to the point of a high probability of being unpleasant. As as others have frequently attested - - and matching my own experience taking other travelers to Rome, twice - - a blitz visit to Rome on arrival is a surefire recipe to hate Rome.

Days 3 and 4 make no sense to me, and I wouldn't wish days 5 through 8 on a traveling salesman with only call to make in each place you list.

Sorry to be so harsh, but you need to hear a straight answer.

Delete 75% of your "destinations" unless your only goal is a drive-by shooting, and the victim is going to stand at an appointed spot at an appointed time in each case.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Nov 8th, 2005, 04:45 PM

To each his own I guess. Yes, I would say this is very agressive. You'll have 1.25 days in Rome, 1/2 day in Pompeii, maybe 1/2 day in Capri, 1/4 to 1/2 day in Amalfi Coast, 1/4 day in Siena, 1/4-1/2 day in Lucca, 1/4 day in Pisa, maybe 1/2 day in Florence, etc.
If you stop ANYWHERE you'll cut out one or more of what I mentioned.
You may go through a lot of places, but you're not going to SEE anything.

Look at Day 5! Positano to Siena to Lucca!!! It's about 5 hours from Positano to Siena if you're driving. Then, maybe you'll spend 2-3 hours in Siena. If you left Positano at 8 am it's now 5-6 pm and you've got at least 1.5-2 hours to Lucca!! I think you will be disapointed when this itinerary is finished.
If it were my trip and I had these 8 days, I would limit it to maybe 3 destinations. Rome, Florence, Amalfi Coast, and I would still feel that it would be tight. That's just my opinion. It's not a horserace, it's a vacation in Italy! Slow down and enjoy! Just my humble opinion.
Old Nov 8th, 2005, 04:52 PM

Hello muetravels, well I started a post to you and then thought it sounded to negative so deleted it. In the meantime Rex posted.

Rex posted what I was planning on saying only he added some of his humor to his post.

Muetravels, first of all, where are you flying from. The US? And if so what region of the US?

Have you even travelled to Europe before, and specifically Italy?

Do you have a map of Italy?

Do you have any idea of the travel time between all the places?

Let's just take Day 7. Florence (maybe Venice?), night in Florence.

Do you have any idea how long it will take you to drive to Venice, or take the train to Venice. And of course you would have a round trip in that you want to spend the night in Florence.
That in itself just doesn't begin to make sense.

Way too aggressive doesn't even describe this intinerary.

You need a map, you need to do a lot of research, you need to go back to square one and start all over again.

With 7 nights you should plan IMO no more than two different places. Rome and Florence perhaps. Rome and Venice?
Whatever, but at this point I am so confused with your itinerary I don't even know where to begin.

What exactly is your interest in seeing Italy. Museums, art, big cities, the coastline, the countryside?

Yes I know, you sound like you love everything. Well you are not going to be able to accomplish all that with 7 nights in Italy.

Best wishes in planning a workable trip to Italy.
Old Nov 8th, 2005, 05:00 PM

It's not aggressive, it's nuts. I think rex and the others were remarkably restrained. About 10 places in 7 days, and some of these are important cities.

Why drive from Pisa to Florence?

And why at the end Florence to Pisa to Paris? If you end your Italy whirlwind in Milan or Venice, at least from there you can take an overnight train to Paris.

Suggestions for stops along the way? MORE stops?

As for things you should miss, you should replan and try to miss at least half the towns you mention on this itinerary.
Old Nov 8th, 2005, 05:16 PM

I don't mean to be overly harsh, but this is very aggressive. You certainly will not have time for "stops along the way."

For sure, do not try to add in Venice. I'm not sure if everything here is possible, but it certainly does not sound desireable. I know it is easy to want to see and do evertyhing, but you really haven't left much time to enjoy anything. You will spend LOTS of time in transit.

Still, if you must do this, please don't try to add extra stops or Venice. It takes take to check in and out of hotels, get lost, eat, go to the bathroom, pack and unpack, park, etc....

Good luck and have fun!

Old Nov 8th, 2005, 05:19 PM

Oops...I started this before any replies, then got interrupted with a phone call.

I'm glad others agree with my assessment!

muetravels, please rethink this.
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 05:30 AM
ira

Hi M,

This is not a vacation. It is an expedition.

Are you aware that it is a 10 hr drive from Pisa to Paris?

Old Nov 9th, 2005, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

hi everyone:

thank you for all the replies...harsh but well taken. will obviously look into shorten my trip. since my trip is so hectic, i was hoping that people would suggest places to go and why (and places to skip) -- for example, go to siena and spend two days, and skip lucca until next time.
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 10:42 AM

I had to laugh...you ask "suggestions of stops along the way" as if this was a leisurely trip!

Have you been to Italy before? I would recommend you do Rome and Amalfi, or Rome and FLorence/lucca/Pisa. Forget Venice this time around.
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 10:43 AM

Hello all

I'm also going to Italy for my first time in late May and early June.

I liked the frankess of Rex's reply and as a newcomer to this network and to Italy travel, do you recommend going to Rome and Florence for our first time. We have between 10 and 12 days.

A friend of a friend recommended the Albergo Internazionale in Rome. Any comments.

Thanks.
Adrienne NYC
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 10:44 AM

As far as I can tell, you have 7 days and a few hours.

Take your choice:

a) Rome 4 days and Florence 3 days (with maybe a day trip from each; Orvieto from Rome, Siena from Florence)

b) Rome 4 days (with a day trip) and 3
days Amalfi Coast (Positano & Capri)

c) Florence 4 days (with day trip to Siena) and Venice 3 days

Any more than two main stops is too much.

Old Nov 9th, 2005, 10:52 AM

Adrienne NYC: You have a little more time and can, if you wish, do a little more.

I would suggest either the "Big Three" (Rome, Florence, Venice) or, for a change of pace, Rome, Florence and a few days in the Tuscan hill towns and countryside.
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 11:02 AM
rex

Thank you, Adrienne.

I recommend the &quot;big three&quot; - - and read as much as you can to decide whether to slight Florence or not; for example, give it 24 hours or less, which is clearly inadequate, but being the centermost of the three, hopefully you can spend more time there on your <i>next</i> visit to Italy. On the other hand, if... based on your reading/researching ahead of time, Florence particularly speaks to you, then give it as much time as you wish, and consider omitting Rome - - because it, too, would/should be easy to incorporate on a next visit.

Either way, once you make a skeleton framework of 8 or 9 days... then pick a place less visited by &quot;everybody else&quot; - - maybe it is Trieste, or Lago di Orta or the province of Rieti or Sardinia, and give it three days.

This means that you have to read about a dozen (or more) ... of the &quot;less visited places&quot; to pick the one that melts your heart the most...

... lucky you!

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 11:05 AM

Hi muetravels,

Eloise has given you some very good suggestions to get started.

If you tell us a bit more about your interests, who you're traveling with, what you really most want to see or do,time of year you are planning to visit, etc... there are many people on this forum who can help.

For example, if you love the outdoors and hiking and will be in Italy in the Spring......or if you love art and fine wine and are visiting in January.....or you love big cities or small towns, or.....whatever. The more info you can provide, the better the recommendations for narrowing down your trip and choosing a trip that is just right.

Happy planning!

Old Nov 10th, 2005, 03:27 PM
Original Poster

yes...much more research required but i'm getting a lot of helpful info there...so thanks everyone.

going with a friend (platonic) last week of march. obivously first time to italy.

i guess in the thought process of traveling around italy has been filled with contradictions. at some point, i feel like i SHOULD see pisa or venice, but i also don't want to do all toursity stuff and not &quot;enjoy&quot; italy (i.e. walks, street markets, hangout with locals...etc). certain things i was told that i can just drive...like along the almafi coast (not necessarily stopping) and instead spend more time in tuscany and so forth.

so i will be in rome because i'm meeting my friend there (and i should probably take a picture in front of the colosseum for my mom), and i'm flying to paris from pisa on the last day (70 minute bus ride from florence i was was told). i definitely want to tour pompeii. i definitely want to spend time in seina and florence.
Old Nov 10th, 2005, 03:59 PM

muetravels, you are a very brave individual. It is good that you posted your thread and it is great that you are so willing to work with the folks here. I surely can understand your desire to see so much. I look forward to seeing what your end result is, when you settle on an itinerary. When I started my trip planning, I planned for two weeks and I jammed too much in. I found someone to e-mail my itinerary to for advice, and I was crushed at his response. I had to chuck it all out and start over. Now I am going for three weeks. I hope the best for your continued planning. Enjoy!