Italy in March--good wx?

Old Jul 14th, 2002, 07:21 PM
kristen

Italy in March--good wx?

Is March ok for weather and tourism in Italy? We'd like to tour Venice, Florence and perhaps some southern sites. Not sure if March is a good time of year to go, if not we'll find another location.

Old Jul 14th, 2002, 07:39 PM
Suzanne

It can be rainy and a little chilly but go for it....

Old Jul 14th, 2002, 07:42 PM
Carol

I was in Florence, then a week in Umbria, then Bergamo in early March this year. The weather was pleasant, a little warmer than home (NJ). I was lucky in that it rained only one day, and that was the day I spent on the train from Assisi to Milan.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 12:12 AM
Margot

Kristen:
My husband and I went to Italy (Rome) in late February/early March, 2001. We'd packed a few lightweight jackets and sweaters, and were totally unprepared for the record cold temperatures (there was ice on the roads in Florence, and Rome was windy, overcast, and in the mid-30's in the afternoon). Just a warning - be prepared to layer your clothing, and bring some warm socks, a pair of gloves and a wool hat, just in case. We had to leave our tour of the Coliseum because I didn't bring our daughter's heavy coat.

If you're going in mid to late March, this may not be a problem. I don't know how common this is, to have really cold weather in Rome, in March. Have a great time.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 03:42 AM
Alice Twain

Usually March in norther Italy is still winter. Spring doesn't usually berak until April, therefore you can expect winter weather, ice on the roads, rain (lots of rain!) and winds. In the far south (south of Naples I mean), though the winter should be over and temperatures should be already early spring like. Come to Intaly in March if you are planning to tour Sicily, Puglia and Calabria (but not the mountanious regions of Basilicata and Abruzzo!) but postpone your trip until APril if you are planning any serious stay in norhtern Italy. Otherways you might catch an early spring, but most likely you will have to dress very warm.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 07:43 AM
geri

Spent several days in Rome in early March (this year) and I guess it drizzled a little bit the first day, but after that was warm and sunny. Layered clothing is the secret. If it even looks like a sprinkle, the umbrella vendors are out in hordes. My daughter still laughs about her $5 Roman umbrella. Go and have a great time. Italy is wonderful any time of the year.

After Rome we rented a car and drove to Siena, Venice, San Marino and Sorrento and weather was great--never needed more than a light jacket or sweater.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 07:59 AM
lbb

My Husband and I were in Italy from March 4 - March 9th in Florence, March 10th to March 16th In Rome and March 17th to March 20th in Pompeii. The weather was marvelous. We saw rain only one day and it was in the 60's - 70's during the day and 40's at night. Not exactly beach weather but perfect for site seeing.

A bonus to going that time of year is that it isn't tourist season. The crowds are lighter, the lines shorter, and the hotels cheaper.

Have a great time!

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 08:01 AM
pat

Was there in late March. (Only in the North) One day it would be cloudy and gray, with some rain. The next day it would be nice! It was never cold, but I did wear my rain jacket quite a lot. We had a good time anyway, and it didn`t stop us from doing anything.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 08:02 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

I have done Italy twice in late March but stayed south where it was pleasant.
Tuscany is like NC in March--Rome is Atlanta. The Amalfi coast or Sicily is best for March.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 09:06 AM
pam

My mother and I were in Rome and Florence late Feb/early March 2001, as Margot. It was pouring rain and cold in Rome the first day or two, but we weren't stopped. Take a good raincoat with warm layers (I think I had 6 or 7 thin layers--silk long underwear, turtlenecks, etc--including my coat and its liner). Take warm socks and two pair of shoes. It was a great trip--Florence was redeemed for me that trip due to the absence of any crowds. We met a couple in Florence who'd just come from Venice and said it had snowed on them.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 09:43 AM
Amy

I was on the Amalfi Coast March 14-21 this year and spent the 18th in Rome. Never was it cool enough during the day for a coat anywhere, but definitely at night. The day in Rome and the day before at Pompeii, I was wishing for shorts and a t-shirt...it was over 75, easily. But a week later it snowed at St. Peter's Sq., so go figure!