Italy in August--too many cities?

Jan 31st, 2006, 06:06 PM
Original Poster

Italy in August--too many cities?

In an earlier post I asked about possible choices for a final family vacation (daughter 17, son 14) before my daughter leaves for school, and I got some great suggestions. Now I have successfully booked frequent flier tickets to Italy (through London, and going home through Dublin). We will have two weeks, including travel days, in Italy, and want to see the Florence/Tuscany region, Rome, and Venice. Is this going to be too much to cover in 14 days? Our itinerary also has us spending three days in Dublin before we fly home, so the total trip will be 18 days.

Also, is all of Italy likely to be hot at the end of July, or just Rome? Warm is okay, it is summer after all, but sweltering heat would be no fun.

Jan 31st, 2006, 06:35 PM

Hi Desertgirl,

14 days including travel = 12 days = 3 cities, 4 days give or take for each. Deduct 1/2 day for travel between cities. I don't think you have time for Tuscany on this trip, unless you are willing to give up the 3 days in Dublin.

Where do you arrive and where do you depart? Hopefully into Rome and out of Venice or the reverse.

How hot will it be? From your name, do you live in a desert climate like I do? You will find Italy MUCH more humid, plus the heat. Make sure your hotels have AC. Wear light, natural, but fast drying fabrics. Take a hat, carry water.

Buon viaggio!
Jan 31st, 2006, 06:48 PM

Italy is very hot in July and August, and yes, it can be sweltering hot, especially in the cities. Maybe you'd like to tweak your itinerary a little bit and spend some time cooling off at the lakes or along the coast?

If not, I'd suggest trying to book a hotel in Tuscany with a pool, and doing your sightseeing either early or late in the day. Also, carry water bottles with you. And definitely bring along bug repellent for Venice!

Have a great trip!
Jan 31st, 2006, 06:50 PM
Original Poster

Hi Dayle:
We fly into Pisa and out from Milan. Not the agenda I would have chosen, but we are using frequent flier miles and this is the best we could do. This is a reservation--I have not yet purchased the tickets, so I can keep trying until my reservation runs out. Total days = 15, so 13 days of travel/sightseeing. Still seems a little tight. Can you tell me why we should leave out Tuscany? I have heard that is the prettiest part of Italy.

I live in Arizona but I am no fan of hot summers (I know--why am I here? Hope to spend summers someday in northern Washington) so I certainly don't want to sweat through a vacation.
Jan 31st, 2006, 06:50 PM

I think your basic itinerary sounds great. Fourteen days for Rome, Florence/Tuscany and Venice, even after discounting travel there and back and travel to and from, leaves you a nice amount of time in each of those locations. If anything, I might take one day away from Florence (as long as you leave enough time for other smaller towns in Tuscany) and go by Orvieto for a day. Umbria is, in many ways, different from Tuscany and equally delightful.

You will definitely be busy with this itinerary, but I still think you'll enough time to stop and smell the roses and enjoy a bottle of vino or two.

Come back for more detailed advice when (and if) you need it or want it.

KC
Jan 31st, 2006, 06:52 PM

Hello desertgirl, besides the suggestions that Dayle shared with you I would suggest that you and your family plan on getting up early (I know, teens hate to get up early), do your sightseeing in the morning, have a latish lunch somewhere either where there is shade or a/c and when it starts getting real hot retreat to you hotels for a cool shower, a rest etc. And than go out again later and have a late dinner as the Italians do. In otherwords, don't plan on sightseeing during the real hot and humid afternoons. And it will be real hot and humid.

Be sure to drink lots of water, try to plan your sightseeing by grouping places you are interested in by areas so you don't do unneccessary walking.

Italians stay up late and you can enjoy walking around after a late dinner to enjoy the atmosphere of the cities especially in Rome and Florence. And in Venice you can enjoy that beautiful city after dinner as well as the daytime visitors will have gone home.

Usually a/c in Italian hotels are not as efficient as we have in the US.

With 12 actual days in Italy I would personally only go to three different places. I have no idea where you are flying into and where in Italy you are departing. If for example you are flying in and out of Rome I would probably visit the cities of Rome and Florence and than spend some time in the countryside of Tuscancy. If you are flying say into Rome and departing from Venice (or the opposite) than I would visit the cities of Rome, Florence and Venice.

Sweltering heat is probably what you will encounter. So plan accordingly.
As many Italians that can head to the mountains or the seaside during August to escape the cities and the heat and humidity. The Italians that can't try their very best to avoid rushing around outside during the period after lunch. Best wishes.
Jan 31st, 2006, 07:01 PM
mjs

I agree with Dayle. Weather will probably be very warm as it is humid in the summer in Italy and could be sweltering if you hit a heat wave. There is a good reason Italians head for the mountains and sea in August. I also agree that you will not have alot of time to explore Tuscany. If you have 4 nights in Florence you might consider a day trip to Siena and or a day trip to Pisa/Lucca. Will probably need to do laundry in Florence.
Jan 31st, 2006, 07:02 PM

I think you can have a very nice trip and visit all of those areas. Our family also visited Italy in July/August a few years ago. I'd rather be in Italy during the summer rather than not in Italy at all! Yes, it will be hot, but if you pace yourselves (and force down lots of gelato) you can have a great trip.

How many days were you figuring in each location? You could spend 5 nights in Florence/Tuscany, 4 in Rome and 4 in Venice which would give you a good flavor of each locale.

Have a great trip!
Jan 31st, 2006, 07:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, all. I may need to reconsider a full two weeks in Italy. It will really depend on luck with changing tickets, but I could move us the second week to someplace cooler--perhaps more time in Ireland? The heat issue is more than just discomfort--my husband has a mild heart condition and will not tolerate high heat and humidity well.