Too much time in Tuscany?

Old Mar 4th, 2006, 05:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Too much time in Tuscany?

Saw some messages posted about too much time in Tuscany and I'm panicking b/c of my scheduled trip there 2 weeks the end of Sept. Flying to Venice (6 days in Venice/Tuscany), Rome for 5 days and maybe 2 at the Amalfi Coast. Flying home from Rome. What do you think? And, should I be booking hotels now for late September? Suggestions? My first time to Italy and my sister's 60th birthday present and her first time to Europe. I want it to be perfect!
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 05:48 AM

Hi mg,

I don't know how many days you have in each place since you lump them together as Venice/Tuscany 6 days, but it's DEFINITELY not too much for both. Venice alone is worth 3 or 4 days and another 4 days minimum in Tuscany would be nice. I assume you are spending time in Florence (which is in Tuscany) and it don't see any time left here for beautiful the countryside.

Also, 2 days for the Amalfi Coast is not enough. It will take you at least half a day just to get there from Tuscany. I would skip Amalfi this time around and add that time to Tuscany.

Buon viaggio!
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 05:50 AM

Tuscany has quite of variety of experiences to offer visitors: big cities, tiny villages, walled medieval towns, wineries, beaches. If you book yourself into a tiny town and are bored and lonely, you can easily get to Firenze and hang out.

You appear to be spending very little time in Tuscany anyway, but not very much time in Venice either. Do you know you would rather be in Venice? Six days is not too long to spend there, especially if you are flying straight into Venice, because you both will need a bit of time to get over your jet leg.

Are you planning on traveling everywhere by train? If so, then you will need a break between Rome and Venice, and Tuscany is the logical place to do it. Why don't you and your sister discuss what you would most like to do in Tuscany? Like I said, you can either visit great art or you can enjoy a taste of the Italian countryside. September is a delicious month to go -- literally. All the harvest will be in.

As for Amalfi, I would only recommend it if you are willing to splurge on car services, because it is very difficult to get to, or perhaps you would enjoy spending both nights on Capri, which actually could be easier than one of the steep hillside villages.

Don't expect perfection from Italy. You're going to have to be flexible, because she's a very, very old lady.
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 06:08 AM

Can't address your time questions, because we are just planning our first trip to Italy for October, but I would suggest it's not too soon to start trying to book hotels, especially if you are thinking of some of the smaller hotels. I've booked our hotels, even though our travel dates are not totally firm yet. We were not able to get our first choice for our Rome hotel (the Daphne Inn), and I contacted them a few weeks ago. Just search this board and TripAdvisor for recommendations and pay careful attention to the cancellation policies. Enjoy your planning and your trip!
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 05:47 PM

Too much time in Tuscany is an oxymoron.