Italy in august

Jul 15th, 2004, 05:43 AM
Original Poster

Italy in august

My daughter and I are travelling to Italy in August and we are trying to decide between a Villa (No airconditiong) or a hotel with airconditioning. I would prefer the Villa but have heard that no airconditiong would not be a smart move in August. Any feedback would be appreciated

Thanks
Jul 15th, 2004, 05:50 AM

Where in Italy? And where are your from/what temps are you used to? How badly does heat affect you?

Keep in mind that in italy very few things are air conditioned - so its not just that you won't have it at night - you won;t have it at all. We find the no AC during the day more bearable - even though we are usually in Italy in June - since we know we will have a reasonably cool room to sleep in.

Jul 15th, 2004, 05:53 AM
Original Poster

We will be in Rome for a week and then in Umbria (Orvietto) area. We are from Canada, I love the heat but I am not so sure my daughter fully understands how hot it can get. The Villa is absolutely lovely, we have previouslystayed in it during October one year. The hotel is also lovely however there is no outdoor space but the big plus is the airconditioning.
Jul 15th, 2004, 05:57 AM

Hi
I have a friend who stayed for a month in Arezzo (Tuscany) last July-Aug, which was a particularly hot summer.
She was apprehensive about not having a/c as she is quite dependent on it at home.
She found that the flat she was staying in had excellent cross ventilation, and found the rooms quite comfortable at night, and fans were also provided.
I'm sure this depends on the actual building and location you will be staying in. I have to say, that barring exceptionally brutal temperatures or staying in an airless
building, staying in a villa sounds lovely to me, unless you want more services.
Jul 15th, 2004, 06:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your input. I think the Villa would be much more lovely and the few Italians I have spoken to say that as long as you keep the Villa shut up during the day you can keep the villa somewhat cool.

Thanks