Florence in August without A/C?

Jul 14th, 2004, 10:52 PM
Original Poster

Florence in August without A/C?

Has anyone experienced Florence accommodations in August without air conditioning? I have an opportunity to rent a room in a private home across from Piazza Santa Croce, very reasonable but 3rd floor walk up and no a/c and I am concerned. Alternative is Hotel De Lanzi on Via dell Oche, nr. the Duomo with a/c. Advice re: comfort? location?
Jul 15th, 2004, 02:42 AM

You can walk a little farther...actually quite a BIT farther if you've had a decent night's sleep in air conditioned and "charming" comfort.

If you are "concerned" then i think you already KNOW the answer to this question.
Jul 15th, 2004, 03:41 AM
ira

Hi rhod,

Will two nights without being able to get to sleep until about 3:00 ruin your visit?
Jul 15th, 2004, 06:04 AM

Where are you from/what temps are you used to? Do you use your AC at home all the time - or do you put it on only at 90+? How tolerant are you of very high temps - high 90's/100 and humid?
Jul 15th, 2004, 06:14 AM

I wouldn't risk it in a city in Italy in August, but then a/c is pretty important to me. Unlike the countryside, city buildings and pavements tend to retain heat and I wouldn't count on a flat in the middle of the city having outstanding air flow.
Jul 15th, 2004, 06:18 AM

Hotel de Lanzi is nice, and a great location. Also, Florence is very hot. Plus, with windows open there will be LOTS of noise all night long,with traffic, vespas, people, many blotto, talking and yelling beneath your window. I experienced this for one night, and never again.
Jul 15th, 2004, 06:29 AM
GAC

Florence in August is hot and terribly humid. I've lived there for the entire month, and would strongly suggest to you that a/c is a necessity.