italy in 8 days help

Old May 23rd, 2009, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
italy in 8 days help

I am looking towards september but only have 8 days. thinking of flying into milan and out of rome. because of miles, then taking train or driving through florence stay, then train to rome. do we have time to go anywhere else. want 2 full days in rome, quick trip but looking to make it to a couple of nice places any ideas? Plane rsvp arent final yet. any ideas? thank you. new to this web site.
Old May 23rd, 2009, 08:18 AM

Without knowing your interests, here are a couple of choices-

You could fly round trip in/out of Rome. Head to Florence straight from the Rome airport and spend 3 days there (with a day trip to Siena by bus- if you feel like it). On your way back to Rome, using the train you could stop in Orvieto or Assisi or Spello or Spoleto for 2 nights. This would allow you a chance to stay in a small town in the middle of your city visits.

Or, upon arrival in Rome, head to Florence for 4 nights then train to Rome for 4 nights. If you feel a need for a day trip, consider Siena or Lucca from Florence and Orvieto from Rome.
Old May 23rd, 2009, 08:22 AM

Train (do not drive) Milan to Florence. Rent car upon departure and drive Tuscany countryside while staying in agriturismo near Siena. Return car in Orvieto and train to Rome.
Old May 23rd, 2009, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

so it doesnt really give us an advantage of backtracking by flying into milan? i am more interested in possibly the florence, rome , Orvieto or a side trip somethere there. anywhere we can enjoy a winery or something. I dont really care about too much sight seeing except in rome. more just seeing the landscape I dont really have an interest in milan just thought it would save time to start there and go down.
thankyou
Old May 23rd, 2009, 10:32 AM

You don't want a car in Florence - too problematic. For the winery, etc, focus on Tuscany - that's where you'll find "a couple of nice places"...
Old May 23rd, 2009, 10:39 AM

There are several wonderful places on the way from Milan to Rome. Try spending a couple of days in Portofino, the most amazing seaside town in the Mediterranean Sea. If you are more into wine and the small towns of Tuscany, try taking a train to Pisa, for the mandatory visit of the leaning tower and the Piazza dei Miracoli, but don’t even think of staying there. You should rather stay in Luca (20 minutes train from Pisa) and enjoy the cute ancient town and the best pasta in Italy and then continue your journey to Florence for a couple of days and then you can go to the Chianty region visiting Siena, San Gimignano (possibly the world’s most spectacular little town) and for the best wines, try going to Montalcino. Probably the best thing to do is boom 2 nights in Siena and travel in bus to San Gimignano and Montalcino in the mornings while saving the end of the day for Siena. Spend the rest of the journey , if any, in Rome.
Old May 23rd, 2009, 10:42 AM

A car is great for seeing Tuscany - but not is you're going to be doing a lot of wine tasting (European countries have zero tolerance for DUI - and there blood alcohol levels are much lower than in the US - drinking anything can put you over).

If you don't want to see Milan or Venice i would fly in and out of Rome, take the train from Rome to Florence immediately you arrive - a day in Florence and some day tours from one of the Tuscan towns to see other towns and wineries. then train to Roem and sightsee there. IMHO 3 days is the absolute minimum to se much of anything (I really think 5 is the minimum but recognize some people like to do "fly-bys".)
Old May 23rd, 2009, 01:53 PM
Original Poster

would you have a hotel to suggest in siena, or florence, or san gimigano? Do I need to arrange the train before I go?
thankyou
Old May 23rd, 2009, 02:05 PM

Fly in and out of Rome since you aren't planning sightseeing in Milan. It's a waste to time to fly there. Florence is only 1 1/2 hours by train from Rome.

I would fly into Rome, take the airport train (Leonardo Express) to the main train station in Rome (Termini). Catch a train to Orvieto and spend two nights before training to Florence two nights. Spend the last 4 nights in Rome.
Old May 23rd, 2009, 02:17 PM

Here is a good hotel recommendation in Florence: Hotel Pendini www.florenceitaly.net It has nice decent sized rooms, good beds, A/C, & adequate breakfast. It overlooks Piazza della Repubblica which is acceptable walking distance to most major sites.
Old May 23rd, 2009, 02:19 PM

Forget Milan. Fly into Rome and take train to Florence or fly into Pisa and take a bus to Florence. Both were not problematic for me. Spend several days in Florence. Too much to see. Lovely city. Make a trip to Siena. It is a delightful gated town. I would set up a wine tasting tour with a private guide. I did so with Franco www.francowinetourexperience.com . We were able to take a full day tour through the wine regions surrounding Siena which included Siena, Montelcino, Sant' Antimo, and other little areas that we would never have experienced had we not had a guide. It was a perfect day. Spend less time in Roma. Toscano is worth the extra days. Forget the vehicle, take the train, lovely views on the way down to Roma from Firenze. Have a great time!!
Old May 25th, 2009, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, rstravelers i emailed hotel pendini they do have room for us for 2 nights. what about in Rome or Siena any hotel recommendation?
thank you all for the help.
Old May 25th, 2009, 12:41 PM
Original Poster

kybourbon where did you stay in orvieto?
Old May 25th, 2009, 01:46 PM

If you aren't interested in sightseeing except for Roma, you really are wasting your money -- if you don't mind my saying so -- packing into Firenze and Siena, and to some extent Orvieto, (which is smaller, but people go there to sightsee).

You say you want to be in the countryside, at a winery, and you are willing to rent a car. Go to winery in the countryside! There are many, many, many highly recommended choices.

One of the most highly regarded landscapes with wineries (that have places to stay) between Milan and Rome is the area of the val d'Orcia. Likewise, Chianti. And those are just the most famous places. Even if you decide to go to Orvieto, try to stay at a winery. The area is famous for Orvieto wine!

Do you like white or red wine?

Most people don't do this. Most people go to Italy to sightsee. (I live 20 minutes from Portofino, and it is one of the most touristy spots on the face of the planet -- designer brand label stores and no wine -- so I don't think you'd be getting what you want there).

Since most people go to sightsee, not stay at wineries and relax and enjoy Italy -- you are my kind of traveler, and I live in Italy! -- dig around and do some more research on wineries and agriturismos in Tuscany and Umbria -- or start a new thread asking about where to stay in Italy if you want to stay in a winery in the countryside.

Hope that helps.
Old May 25th, 2009, 06:51 PM

I actually stayed in a convent - Monastero San Lodovico. I'm not sure what my rate was as it wasn't what they quoted nor their high season rate (I was there in September which was supposed to be high season)or low season rate. I think they made one up last minute. I tried to point out my bill wasn't correct (less than I was told it would be when I made my reservation), but they didn't speak any English and kept insisting completo. I gave up trying to make them understand. Ya just don't argue with nuns! Click on where we are and scroll down to see a picture on the convent on the side of the cliff.
http://www.monasterosanlodovico.it/English/english.htm

Click on accommodation for rates. Curfew was supposed to be midnight, but you were supposed to let them know if you would be past 11. Orvieto isn't a late night type of town anyway so I didn't have a problem with a curfew. Breakfast was great (3€), rooms were clean, but spartan and there was lots of hot water for showers. I think they have a tv room and a laundry somewhere, but I didn't use either. I think I had to pay in cash.