Italy in 2 weeks!

Search

Italy in 2 weeks!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2005, 10:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Italy in 2 weeks!

I have been working on the almost final itinerary for our 30th anniversary trip which is just about here and thought I might post it and see if anyone has a comment or two. We will be traveling with friends from North Carolina who have never been to Italy and they have wisely, or foolishly, allowed me to make the plans. DH and I were last in Italy in '00 for our 25th, saw Venice and Tuscany mostly, flew in and out of Milan.For this trip, the reservations for hotels, car, train and some guided tours in Rome, as well as some appointments with wineries are the made plans; I have a file of restaurant reviews and other than a repeat visit to Il Latini in Florence for DH, we may wing the eating part, especially since we also like to strol back streets and look at menus. Casual gourmet, that's us.

So, to start we fly to Rome on July 7th, using FF miles on AA for Business class. Meet the friends in Rome at Hotel Locarno. Set plans for Rome include guided tours of the Vatican and Ancient City, reservations at the Borghese Gallery - we will be in Rome twice, 3 days then 2 nights at the end.

From Rome taking the Eurostar to Florence for 2 nights, staying at Panella's Residence, a recommendation from Tourist House Ghiberti as they were booked. DH made phone reservations for Accademia and Uffizi, also hope to see Pitti Palace and Boboli Gardens. I'm looking forward to revisitng the shops on the Ponte Vecchio.

After Florence, we pick up a car and drive to Panicale, Umbria for four nights at Grotte di Baldrino. On the way, we will take the road through Chianti Classico and visit the winery at Castello di Volpaia, then maybe go to Greve, which is where I bought wonderful pottery in '00.

The Umbrian days include exploring Panicale, taking a day drive around Lake Trasimeno, ferry to Isola Maggiore for the lace-makers. We have appointments with two wineries in Montefalcone, Arnoldo Caprai and Paolo Bea; DH wants to see Assisi and we know that the jazz festival is in Perugia that week.

On the way back to Rome we will visit Ostia Antica, return the car and spend two nights in Trastevere at Hotel San Francesco. Would like to do walking tour of Jewish Quarter.

So, that's that, maybe too much planned but we can tweak it as we see it, especially in Umbria. I'm excited for this trip and have learned so much on this board, so thanks for all your reports and suggestions to others' questions. Some of this I did before I found this board and SlowTrav, but a lot of good and useful info came after hotel reservations were made.

The other good news for us is that our youngest daughter, a UCSanta Cruz student, just found our she was accepted to study in Siena next spring. Hopefully this means I can start planning a visit to Tuscany for Easter '06. The Italy cup doeth runneth over, but always with good wine.

Thanks for letting me share and if you have any good comments, let 'em fly,

Marcia

Old Jun 20th, 2005, 11:46 AM

Hi Marcia we leave on 13 July. I am curious if you alraedy purchased your rail to Florence or will get them in Rome.
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

DOCK,
I decided to purchase them online through trenitalia, mostly since it's summer and it will be just one less thing to do at the train station that morning. All I have to do is remember to bring the piece of paper with the reservation number on it.
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 12:01 PM

Arnaldo Caprai has wonderful olive oil to purchase as well. If your in the town of Montefalco, they are known for great linens, many shops to choose from. Have a wonderful trip. Unbria is charming.
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 04:31 PM
Original Poster

Any restaurant suggestions for Assisi or Perugia?
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 06:19 PM

Marcia,
Congratulations on your 30th anniversary.

Is your daughter going to be with the AHA program? If so, my daughter has been in Siena Spring Quarter with this program and will be staying through the summer, and yes, you should plan on meeting up with her there--both for you and her. My daughter just loves it there and I can't say enough good things about the program.

Sounds like you have a really fine trip planned--just one suggestion--if you like jazz and are going to be around Perugia July 19-21, you might consider the Jazz Festival there. Among the people performing are Geroge Benson and Diana Ross (I know, I never thought of her as jazz, maybe DD has her confused for someone else).

Also, I highly recommend La Giostra Ristorante in Florence (you can check out their website at ristorantelagiostra.com)

Are you going to Siena at all this trip?

Old Jun 20th, 2005, 07:03 PM

I had a fabulous meal at Il Mediovo in Assisi. I found it in Frommer's. If you like truffles,you'll be in heaven,and if you don't ,you'll still be in heaven!
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 07:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Although I didn't enjoy the Boboli Gardens in Florence, there is a cafe on the grounds with one of the most spectacular views of Florence. The menu is simple panini, salads, bottled drinks and wine, but once you sit down and take in the view you don't want to leave. Kaffeehaus. No reservations.
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 10:01 PM
Original Poster

Artlover,
I've been reading your comments about your daughter in Siena with some interest this spring. My daughter will be with the UC Center or so she tells us; waiting to see all the paperwork. We had been to Siena in '00 and originally were going again but when we realized that we might be there for several days in April '06, I tweaked this trip for more time in Umbria. But I may be asking for Siena advice in the fall.
We will not be in the Perugia area July 19, but the jazz festival will be going on the whole week before and that's when we hope to catch it.
Old Jun 21st, 2005, 05:58 PM

socaltraveler,
Sounds like you've done a lot of good research already.

If your daughter would like to get in touch with mine about the program (I think both UC & Univ of Wash are with AHA), let me know and I'll forward her e-mail address (but she's in Barcelona now, just got an e-mail from her that she LOVES it and thanking me for sighing every time anyone mentioned the name).

Do plan on visiting her when she there--I can't tell you how great it will be for all of you.

Have a great trip this time as well--I'm sure you will--and report back to us!
Old Jun 25th, 2005, 09:56 AM
Original Poster

Since we now leave in LESS than two weeks, I'm shamelessly topping this in case anyone else out there has a good idea for us.
Thanks for all the good wishes and comments.
Old Jun 25th, 2005, 02:40 PM

Hello socaltraveler, while in Florence try to find time to go to the Piazza MicahelAngelo for a very beautiful view of Florence with the River Arno flowing through it. I know that you will not have a car while in Florence but am almost certain there is a bus you can take (I have always gone by car). Your hotel could tell you which bus.

Have a beautiful visit in Italy! And congratulations regarding your duaghter's exciting news. Best wishes.
Old Jun 26th, 2005, 09:28 AM

socaltraveler.
Husband, daughter, and I had a terrifc dinner at La Fortezza in Assisi. Food and service were wonderful.