Italy- Hotels

Jan 9th, 2008, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

Italy- Hotels

I've just started to plan our September trip to Italy and already am having problems booking hotels. Plan on staying in Rome for 6 nights with a day trip to Pompeii, then travel to Florence for 3 nights and Venice for 3 then fly home. We don't need any fancy hotels - just clean and centrally located would be nice. And not too expensive. Help Any suggestions?
Jan 9th, 2008, 10:56 AM

You will need to clarify what you mean by "not too expensive." Everything in those three cities is pretty expensive. How many euros do you want to spend per night?

In Rome, the Albergo del Senato and Hotel Portoghesi are popular choices. In Venice, try Locanda Orseolo or La Calcina.
Jan 9th, 2008, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

I guess I'm looking at around 150 Euro a night. With the exchange that would be about $220 Cdn a night? Does that sound reasonable? Also airfare from Canada is pretty expensive. Has anyone flown into Britain and then picked up a cheap flight to either Venice or Rome?
Jan 9th, 2008, 11:42 AM

Hello Lyndamcn

I will be going to Italy also in September, can't wait.
I am staying at La Colomba hotel in Florence which is very centrally located, very clean and comfortable the owners are very nice, and in Venice at the Locandiera which is about a 5 minute walk to St. Marks Square, try looking those up in Trip advisors.
Jan 9th, 2008, 12:28 PM

Because you are spending 6 nights in Rome, I suggest you look at an apartment. You get lots more room, a kitchenette with a frig., a living room and dining area. Go to www.slowtrav.com and look at the apartment reviews. And they also have hotel reviews. You may also be able to get apts in Florence and Venice for 3 days minimum.

One caution for hotels and apts is some don't have elevators! Or air conditioning. In September it still will be hot. And they count floors differently there -- the first floor is the first one up from the ground floor, so you have to think in terms of an extra flight of stairs to climb if there's no elevator. So check their web sites to see what amenities they list.
Jan 9th, 2008, 04:13 PM

If non-hotel lodging is appealing, look at www.cross-pollinate.com. There are descriptions of minimum number of nights and amenities available at each location such as elevators, A/C and whether the owner lives on site (helpful if you're a newbie). Most of these accommodations are very limited numbers of rooms in one location, so don't wait too long to decide.

In Florence, I can strongly recommend www.touristhouseghiberti.com (also listed on Cross-Pollinate).
Jan 9th, 2008, 04:24 PM

Your Rome hotel budget will be hard to meet in the most popular areas, particularly in September, unless you are willing to consider a convent stay.

In Venice, I like La Forcola, although it may also be out of your price range in September.
Jan 9th, 2008, 04:26 PM

I know you didn't ask for input on your itinerary, but I just wanted to make a suggestion -- if you are planning a day trip to Pompeii, it might make more sense to take one or two nights from Rome and stay in Sorrento or Positano.

It would be a shame to go all the way down to Pompeii (it's quite a trip) and be so close to the gorgeous Amalfi Coast without getting even a peek. With 6 nights in Rome, you can spare 2 to stay on the AC, which would be more convenient for a day at Pompeii.
Jan 10th, 2008, 07:57 AM

It's about 3 hours each way by train(s) betweem Rome and Pompeii.
Jan 10th, 2008, 11:32 AM

www.lacalcina.com
Jan 10th, 2008, 03:53 PM

We'll also be in Italy in September (my heart is always in Italy). I don't know a specific place but search for an apartment in Rome in the Fiori district or around Piazza Navona. Great central location for walking and the Fiori district is lively and affordable.
Jan 10th, 2008, 05:24 PM

Hi

I have booked the following hotels after a lot of research and feedback. All at reasonable price and location.
Rome : Nichola's Inn
Montalcino: Il giglio
Venice : Ca'Angeli
Florence : Carravagio hotel
godin