Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Italy honeymoon ideas for a couple who has been to Rome, Florence, Venice once before

Search

Italy honeymoon ideas for a couple who has been to Rome, Florence, Venice once before

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2005, 05:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'd like to honeymoon somewhere other than Rome Florence Venice, Cinquaterre, Amalfi Coast because we have visited those spots before. As much as we love those areas, we'd like to see more of Italy. Any suggestions? We will be there in early October for 7 days.
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 05:54 PM

Tuscany, Tuscany, Tuscany. Kick back and enjoy the wine, the food, and the ambiance.
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 05:55 PM

Sardinia or the Gargano Peninsula.
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 06:17 PM

Taormina, the Aeolian Islands, Ischia, Capri, Ponza and a little cooler at that time of year but still gorgeouos--Lake Como and Umbria.
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 06:22 PM

The Lakes[really 3 destinations] and the Dolomites. Oops--you did say Oct.
Make that Tuscany !
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 06:46 PM

One word--- RAVELLO!!!!!!!!! Stay at Palazzo Sasso. We honeymooned there, it is worth every penny. Heaven on earth.
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 05:29 AM
Original Poster

Sounds like Tuscany is a winner. Where in Tuscany? I spent 2 months in Florence so I would like to see something different. Anyone heard of Terme Di Saturnia?
Thonglori, we were thnking about Ravello, how many days she would stay there? We are getting married in Positano and will be there for 5 days (then honeymoon for 7). Is it still worth it to move over to Ravello for a couple of days? I like what I've seen so far about Pallazzo Sasso.
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 05:39 AM

The Dolomites or Taormina. Totally different but both stunning and romantic.
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 05:39 AM

Palazzo Sasso is one of the top honeymoon hotels (and always on the best hotels list) in the world. But since you will have been in the area for five days already, I'd suggest going to Tuscany. This past August, we stayed in Chianti at the Relais Fattoria Vignale, a lovely hotel that overlooked vineyards, and olive groves. It was very well located for day trips to Siena, San Gimignano, and Volterra.

I'd also suggest posting again for Bobthenavigator, since he knows Tuscany very well, and always comes up with excellent hotel suggestions.

Good luck!
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 06:27 AM

We loved Umbria. Spoleto would be a great stop along the way. It was NOT touristy at all - in fact we did not see any tourists except at the hotel. It was romantic and charming....

Orvieto was a larger, more travelled Umbrian city but still nice.

I don't know if you drove the Chianti road, but we loved that on our first trip to Italy...great if you love wineries! Beautiful and romantic.
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 06:39 AM

While I've been to Italy, I probably can't offer the best honeymoon info as we traveled with a one year old.

However, based upon how we felt after our wedding, and based on conversations I've had with friends, you might want think about a place for the first few days that is more about rest and relaxtion than getting out and about - a beach, for example.

If you're having a reasonably large wedding that gets complicated by out town guests (especially relatives) and rehearsal dinners, not to mention some extra hours at work to leave nothing of importance left undone, you'll be really, really tired the first few days. For us, with the whirl of activity surrounding our wedding we really appreciated the first few days we spent at a quiet beach resort.

Anyway, best of luck.
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 08:36 AM

Perfect time of year for a Tuscan getaway ... another excellent resource for info is the "Slow Travel" website at http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 09:01 AM
wjk

There is a small hotel on a small island just off shore from Stresa in Lake Maggiore. Sorry I cannot be more specific, all my "stuff" is at home.
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 12:41 PM

www.varenna.net at Lake Como.

then tuscany! www.tuscany.net for b&B, inns and castles. We stayed 4 nights S of Siena and wish we had longer. Fave towns:
Montepulciano
San Gimignano
Montalcino
Pienza
Siena
Greve

Cortona was ok. Still want to go to Assisi, Perugia (doable from S tuscany), Lucca and volterra. Sigh. Take me with you!
Old Jan 15th, 2005, 04:00 AM

We were in Tuscany last September and had an amazing time. Spent 10 days; Went to Arezzo, an amazing medieval town, beautifully restored (where they happen to shoot many movies)- we were there for the Joust of the Saracen Festival... very exciting. We then went to Montalcino and used that as a base to explore Southern Tuscany, which in my opinion is completely more picturesque than the Chianti area; we went to amazing vineyards to try out the Brunello wines, we visited Siena, Pienza and the hot springs in a small town nearby (there are a lot of choices for hot springs in that area including at Saturnia). Next stop was the town of Lucca which surpassed our expectations... from there we explored Pisa. Final stop was Chianti; we really love wine and wanted to choose 2 bases, 1 in the North and one in the Southern region to explore. We stayed in Villa Vignamaggio, amazing location on a fabulous vineyard 10 minutes from Greve. At the time Greve was having its wine festival. In fact you should check out the festivals in the area if your going in October you may still make the harvest. From this location we also explored San Gimignano. I could tell you more if your interested on more details. We had an AMAZING time; enjoy!