Italy for 2 weeks in late September to early October

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28th, 2015, 04:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all, my wife and I will be traveling to Italy in late September through early October. Trip will be 15 days (17 if you include flight days). We fly into Rome and we leave from Rome too.

I've read a lot about the various places you can go and we are primarily interested in the following areas:

Rome
Tuscany/Florence
Naples/Almafi Coast/Pompeii
Venice

Do you guys have any suggestions on itineraries?

Our plan is to stay in Rome for 3 days initially and then head south to the Naples/AC/Pompeii area and then heading north toe Florence and then Venice before we then go back to Rome.

I'm very curious about the trip south to The Naples area and what order/timing for those 3 places we want to go. Suggestions?
Old Jul 28th, 2015, 04:28 AM

If you look here there are several posts each day about the AC - how to get there, where to stay and where to go. Suggest you put amalfi coast in the forums search box above and read through the most recent threads.

Then come and ask specific questions.

If you haven;t read a guidebook on the area yet also suggest you do that to have more specific questions.
Old Jul 28th, 2015, 05:05 AM

It makes more sense to me to put your stay in Rome last. So go directly south to the AC on arrival, then head north past Rome to your Venice & Florence stops and then end with your 3 days in Rome.

If you want to visit Pompeii and the Amalfi Coast and Naples then Sorrento would be the easiest place to sleep for access to these places as day trips.

Example:
4 nights Sorrento
3 nights Venice
4 nights Florence
4 nights Rome

Shift your days around to suit your agenda in each place but that is how I would order it myself. If you start with a stay in Rome you will waste time backtracking for your departure flight. And I would rather get over jet lag in Sorrento than Rome.
Old Jul 28th, 2015, 05:13 AM

I don't know where you are from in the States, but it is likely to be quite warm/hot at that time of year. You might do some research on temperature and humidity before you confirm your travel and lodging plans.
Old Jul 28th, 2015, 05:46 AM

It may still be warm in late September and early October but that time is when we normally travel to Italy and usually have lovely weather. I agree that it makes sense to travel directly to the Amalfi Coast upon arrival and base in Sorrento, then go to Venice, Florence and Rome. Saves the need to stay twice in Rome.
Old Jul 28th, 2015, 06:01 AM

It is unlikely to be overly warm or even hot at that time of year. If you get sunny days in the Amalfi -- which you want! -- then you'll work up a sweat on those staircases, but I would not expect a heat wave after mid-Sept. Perfect time to go, likewise for the rest of your destinations in Italy. In the cities, it's a good idea to book places with air conditioning so you can shut the windows at night against noise and mosquitoes, but still have the option of cooling the room if need be.

I agree with the advice to leave Rome immediately for another destination, but I would not arrange the trip so that you must travel between Sorrento and Venice all in one day (or Venice and Sorrento all in one day).

So I would reccomend that either:

1. Land in Rome, go directly to Sorrento
2. Florence
3. Venice
4. Rome

or

1. Land in Rome, go directly to Venice
2. Florence
3. Sorrento
4. Rome
Old Jul 28th, 2015, 06:12 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Agree with Sandralist about the order of places - that way you have several reasonable journeys but no very long ones.

there are Frecciarossa trains which take less than 3 hours and go directly from Naples to Florence without having to change trains in Rome which make that itinerary particularly attractive.
Old Jul 28th, 2015, 08:53 AM

We have a trip in September flying into and out of Rome and same time frame,
15 days on ground. This is our itinerary,all travel by train and 3 nights each place:

Go to Venice upon arrival in Rome
Padua
Arezzo
Perugia
Rome

We have been to Venice and Rome.