Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Italy Experts! Your help with yet another itinerary?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2005, 07:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a wonderful site! I've read many threads and have learned much, but would appreciate any suggestions by seasoned Italian travelers.

My wife, kids (14 & 10) and I will be arriving Milan Malpensa 3rd week of July and spending 4 nights in the Lugano/Locarno area of Switzerland. We're familiar with the area, will be visiting friends and I'll be playing music in Locarno.

After spending 4 nights in the Ticino region of Switzerland we hope to use the remainder of our trip in Florence (~3 nights), touring by car some of the surrounding Tuscan countryside/hilltowns (~2 nights, with Siena as a homebase?), drive to Orvieto to drop off the car, then training to Rome for ~5 nights, hopefully fitting-in a day-trip to Pompeii. We plan to depart back to Chicago from Rome.

So...comments? I have some specific questions:
1) Should we dump the car back in Lugano amd then train it to Florence via Milan? But then, when I want to rent a car in Florence to drive around Tuscany, how do I do this?
2)For the Tuscan hilltown/countryside, driving part of the trip....is Siena a good homebase?
3) Dropping off the car somewhere in Orvieto is a good idea, right? Then training it to Rome?
4) I'm up for hotel suggestions in Florence & Rome--family friendly, comfortable, good breakfast, good location, bit-of-a-splurge sorts of places are what I'm looking to find.

Thanks a bunch!

John Jochem
Libertyville, IL
Old May 14th, 2005, 08:34 PM

Question#2: Sure, Siena is a good home base but I believe a better one would be around Pienza giving you easy access to Montelpulciano and Montalcino. I base this on the raw beauty that southern Tuscany has to offer and that you only have 2 nights there. I would suggest driving the S222 from Florence to Siena and then take the Crete Senese drive thru Asciano to Pienza. Now this is Tuscany!
Old May 14th, 2005, 09:42 PM

Hey John, you have definitely done your homework! Here's my opinions on the questions you've posed.

1. Train vs. car from Lugano to Florence: Having a car in Florence makes no sense and, in fact, is a giant hassle. You don't need it at all. As for car rentals in Florence (or elsewhere), I have had a consistently good experience with rentals through AutoEurope.com. I make the arrangements and pay for the car before leaving the US and, like you, often rent in one city and drop off in another. If you use AutoEurope, make sure to bring all your paperwork with you.

2. I think Siena and environs are very convenient for driving around Tuscany and seeing the sites. The roads through Sienna are easy to navigate, and parking isn't a nightmare. Montepulciano and Montalcino are both easily accessible from Siena, as is the Tuscan coast, San Gimignano, and many other wonderful places.

3. Yes, Orvieto is a very convenient spot to drop off a car and train to Rome.

4. My favorite hotel in Rome is the Albergo del Senato (http://www.albergodelsenato.it/home.html). It is on the same square as the Pantheon, one of Rome's architectural jewels. I have taken my mother-in-law there (who is very picky), and she was very happy. The staff is great, the location can't be beat, and the breakfasts varied and tasty. That being said, it is sometimes hard to get a reservation. But if you have a room that looks out on the square you can literally wake-up to a view of the Pantheon from bed. Some of the rooms are also very small. If you stay at the del Senato, do what you can to get a room overlooking the square.

In Florence, I favor the Hotel Lungarno IF I can get a room with a river view, and especially if I can get a room with a balcony (the hotel is right on the Arno). Staff is wonderful, and the breakfasts amazing. I really can't say enough good things about the Lungarno. I have had such wonderful times there. Here's the address: http://www.lungarnohotels.com/lungarno_e.shtml

Neither the Lungarno or the del Senato are cheap, but I have not begrudged the money spent on them. Having a room in the center of everything -- a room with a view -- is well worth the price, even though it may be a stretch. At least for me, that is!

A good place to check out hotels that includes other traveller's reviews of them is www.tripadvisor.com.

I recently read a long trip report for a trip that sounds much like you are planning. Because it covers so many of the places of interest to you, if you haven't read it, I highly recommend you do so. You can find the report at http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34451044

Have a fabulous trip!
Old May 15th, 2005, 03:33 AM

Hi John; small world, my family had dinner in Libertyville at Bottaio on Friday night! Anyway, looks like a nice trip. It might be cheaper to keep the car in Florence rather than do two separate rentals. You don't want to drive in Florence so find a hotel that has a garage (or parking lot) where you can leave it. The Torre Belosoguardo is lovely and a bit less expensive is the Silla. In Rome, I also like the Del Senato and my family is staying there the last week of July. It will be very tough to get a reservation there at this late date and I believe they only have one or two quads, but a couple Senior Suites (we are staying in one) and Junior Suites. Other hotels with quads are the Santa Chiara, Cesari and Mozart.
Old May 15th, 2005, 04:04 AM
ira

Hi C,

Nice itinerary.

>Rome for ~5 nights, hopefully fitting-in a day-trip to Pompeii. <

That's a very long daytrip, especially for the 10 yr-old.

Have you considered Ostia Antica, Tivoli and Hadrian's villa instead?

Will you be spending any time in Orvieto? It's a lovely town.

Enjoy your visit.

Old May 15th, 2005, 06:29 AM

Hi Chi,

Your trip sounds really wonderful. Good planning!

Note on returning the rental car in Orvieto. Many posters here have said that Autoeurope has closed its office in Orvieto so double check with whichever agency you use. Also, most small town agencies are closed on Sunday and Monday mornings. Just be aware for planning.

I agree with spending some time in Orvieto. It's wonderful!