Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is Montepulciano to far south for a home base in Tuscany

Mar 31st, 2007, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

My family, (husband and I plus three adult children) will be in italy for 12 days this coming June. The following is our itinerary

2 nights - Venice - then fly to Rome
4 nights - Rome then rent a car and drive to Florence and explore sevearl Umbria towns along the way
2 nights - Florence
3 nights in Tuscany exploring many of the towns that have been recommended by the Fodorites.
Last night - Rome near airport

My question is...While we are in Tuscany is Montepulciano too far south to be a home base? Or should we stay further north in the Siena area?

Also, does anyone have a recommendation for a nice villa or winery to stay at?

Thanks in advance for all advice!
Mar 31st, 2007, 01:36 PM

>While we are in Tuscany is Montepulciano too far south to be a home base?<

There's plenty to see and do in your three days if you keep to the Val d'Orcia area, and for that reason it's not "too far south to be a home base".

>Or should we stay further north in the Siena area?<

There's plenty to see and do in your three days if you keep to this area - Siena, San G, Volterra, Monteriggioni, Chianti, etc, so it would be a good choice too.

Mar 31st, 2007, 01:54 PM

Hi Basch,

A couple of suggestions for you. You are NOT going to want a car in Florence. How about Venice, train to Florence, pick up car leaving Florence, do Tuscany and Umbria, drop car in Orvieto or Foligno, train to Rome. Or, at least do Tuscany & Umbria and drop the car before doing Florence? You can easily train to Rome from Florence.

Montepulciano is good for southern Tuscany. Somewhere around Assisi is good for Umbria.

Buon viaggio!
Mar 31st, 2007, 03:47 PM
Original Poster

Tuck,
thanks for the advice. Since we want to see more of the towns near Siena that you have listed we will look for something around Siena.

Dayle,
Due to using miles we had to fly to Rome from Venice so that we could get a flight from Rome back to the states.

As far as your suggestion to do Tuscany and Umbria before going to Florence. I think that is a brillant idea. I have to admit I had not thought of that. I especially like the idea of a train from Florence to Rome. I am off to contact the hotel in Florence to change the dates.

One last thing...any suggestions for a nice place in the Siena area?

Thanks to both of you for your help!
Mar 31st, 2007, 06:10 PM

Basch,

The things we do just to claim our miles!!

Remember B&Bs, hotels, inns, usually are small with few rooms in Italy. For planning at this late date, many will be booked, but you still have many choices. You'll have to do some work, especially for a group of 5. Start with some web sites such as venere.com and italyby.com. There are others more regional too, like www.chianti.net. Put in your dates, amenity parameters, etc. and see what comes up. Be sure to check carefully for map location in relation to where you want to visit. Cross reference using the search box above to see Fodorites mentions of the places you find! Don't get too hung up on staying somewhere all the Fodorites recommend. That can help, but it also can make a place unobtainable, and there really are lots of nice places. I've stayed at some recommended here and other I've picked completely on my own. I've done well!

Also check TripAdvisor and there are reviews too on venere.com.

San Sano - Chianti, 20 min. drive north of Siena - Residence San Sano, 4*, paradise, tiny village, lovely rooms, surrounded by vineyards and olive orchards, pool. on chianti.net
Close to Siena, but kind of a lot of driving required to see SG, Volterra.

Spello, near Assisi - Palazzo Bocci, 4*, best place I've stayed in Italy in 3 trips, 'nuf said!

Montalcino - Il Giglio 3*, nice hotel, great prices, awesome views, love Montalcino! Great for visiting southern Tuscany.

Orvieto - Palazzo Piccolomini, 3*, another nice hotel, a real palazzo, loved Orvieto, day trips to Deruta, Todi, Civita di Bagnoreggio

Hope this helps!
Mar 31st, 2007, 06:23 PM

Hi,

Sounds like a great trip! The Val d'orcia area of Tuscany is gorgeous and you would be VERY happy there for 3 nights in Montepulciano.

Another good reason to stay in Tuscany in between Rome and Florence is that it's a slower pace there than the sighseeing and frenzy of the cities.

have fun planning!

dina
Apr 1st, 2007, 05:03 AM

Montepulciano, in my opinion is too far south to base. We stayed outside Siena. I found it to be more centrally located. However, you must travel to the Montepulciano area for at least one day trip. In my mind that area has the quintisential Tuscan landscape. I preferred that area but if you want to visit many of the must sees, Siena would be preferable.