ITALY CITIES

Jun 16th, 2010, 09:20 AM
Original Poster

ITALY CITIES

Two of us will be traveling to Italy in September, staying for 12 days. We are planning to visit both Rome (5 days) and Florence (4 days) and would like to add another city. The choices we are looking at are Assisi, Venice or Naples. Looking for your input to help us decide. Thank you!
Jun 16th, 2010, 09:28 AM

There is no objective answer to your question, although that won't stop people from pretending their feelings about the places you're considering are objective.

Why did you pick those cities? They are all worthwhile destinations for some people, but it's an extremely narrow list given all the possibilities.
Jun 16th, 2010, 09:43 AM

That leaves you three days - does your 12 include travel days?
For me, the choice would depend a lot on your city of departure and like zeppole aptly says, there are a many, many other possibilities. Some of those may be more convenient since you probably would prefer not to spend much of your limited time in transit.
Jun 16th, 2010, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

We have been to both Assisi and Venice for short visits, so we would like to go back and spend more time in each place. Naples would be a first time visit. When we travel we like to get a good feel for the city we stay in and explore all that is has to offer.
Jun 16th, 2010, 09:51 AM

If you've never been to Venice, then I would choose Venice. Very easy train ride from Florence. (But I have never been to Assisi).
Jun 16th, 2010, 10:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Sue. How long of a train ride would it be from venice to Florence?

We plan on arriving in Italy Sept 21 & depart on October 3. We are looking at: flying into Venice and then take the train to Florence then to Rome; or Fly into Florence then go either Assisi or Naples before going to Rome.
Jun 16th, 2010, 10:42 AM

You can check train schedules here: http://trenitalia.com/homepage_en.html
Jun 16th, 2010, 10:50 AM

I would fly into Venice and out of Rome. Depending on the train it will take 2 to 3 hours from Venice to Florence. Venice is magical.
Jun 16th, 2010, 10:57 AM

If you have never been to Italy before then go for the big 3 - Venice, Florence and Rome. Second time round you can explore one or more of the big three in greater depth and then venture further afield.

Assisi is an unusual choice. The setting is quite spectacular but - not wanting to offend anyone - it is a bit of a one trick pony unless you are passionate about Giotto. It also takes a long time to get there and back especially if you do not have a car.

Naples has a lot more to offer in terms of architecture, location, restaurants, museums, art (especially works by Caravaggio) as well as side trips to Ischia, Capri, Sorrento, the Amalfi coast. pompei, Herculaneum etc.
Jun 16th, 2010, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your suggestions! Would three nights in Naples be enough time? How long of train ride would it be from Florence to Naples?
Jun 16th, 2010, 11:26 AM

Use the link provided above to find out about the train ride lengths.
Jun 16th, 2010, 11:27 AM

"it is a bit of a one trick pony unless you are passionate about Giotto"

So what about Cimabue, Simone Martini, Pietro Lorenzetti and the Maestro di S. Francesco? The ancient Temple of Artemis? Lots of great medieval architecture? Isn't that a whole mob of ponies?
Jun 16th, 2010, 01:56 PM
Original Poster

not to mention St Francis of Assisi and St Claire. being Catholic, that has a role in a desire to go there
Jun 16th, 2010, 02:13 PM

Franco and Steve - I really meant the religious angle but concur that there is more than just Giotto. However, it is all linked to the Basilica and related buildings.

I do feel that Assisi is a bit of a tourist (religious tourist) trap and that there are many other locations where a Catholic would be inspired without the feeling of being exploited. How about the Certosa at Pavia, San Benedetto Po (south of Mantova), the Cappella Brancacci in Piazza del Carmine in Florence with the murals of Masaccio etc etc. These places and others offer the religious contemplation without the feeling of exploitation.
Jun 16th, 2010, 03:30 PM

We liked Assisi, stopped off there in transit from Florence to Rome.

Try and be there on a Saturday night.

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...rip-report.cfm
Jun 16th, 2010, 04:03 PM

nochblad, I agree about the religious funfair in Assisi. And yet the art there (Giotto and other) is just to great to demean it. The S. Francesco basilica (to which, by the way, the historic center of town with its still excellent sights is not really linked) is THE museum of medieval Italian painting, and all those terrific painters are not to blame for those St.-Francis-shaped salt shakers.
Jun 16th, 2010, 04:05 PM

...too great...
My third post today (and counting) where I failed to preview, sorry.
Jun 16th, 2010, 04:13 PM

Franco, you must havee missed the "St Francis in a glass ball in a snowstorm" religious icon......
Jun 16th, 2010, 04:17 PM

Actually!!
Jun 16th, 2010, 04:59 PM

My husband and I have done 4 two week road trips in Italy. And we hope to return several more times in the years to come. I'm Catholic; he's not. I enjoy the art; he not so much. But I can tell you the one city he hopes to return to someday - Assisi! The food, the feel, the shops, our stay at Hotel Umbra (room 34 to be specific). We were there during the feast of the Assumption (8/15) when I would expect a increased number of religious pilgrims and even that wasn't unbearable.