Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Considering 1st time trip to Italy in 2005,need ideas?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14th, 2004, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After watching a PBS show last night about Italy, I now know where to plan our next our vacation (if we can afford it) ITALY! I've always wanted to go, but just never thought we could afford it. It just seems so expensive, until I started viewing different website and reading trip reports. Okay so here it goes. After reading a few reports, reviews etc, I am thinking about planning a trip to Florence/Tuscany, However, Venice also looks very nice. Where do I begin to help decide?? How far is Florence from Venice???? Is it doable in a day??? I am planning on a 7 day trip, depending on cost for 2. I have also found a great website that was recommended at this site called, slowtrav.com. Very informative, with reports, reviews, guidebook recommendations, etc. Okay, so where do I begin other than the boards to start the planning process?? and what online travel agencies do you recommend for affordable packages??

Thanks for your help!!
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 09:30 AM

7 days including travel days? (7 days, 6 nights?) Many here would suggest that this is not much time for moving around, that you should choose one or two locations.

How do you plan to get from place to place? What are you interested in doing in Italy? We can offer more help with details.

Venice is about 3 hours by train from Florence. I would not recommend it as a day trip. You won't want to leave Venice after just a day.

As a starting point, check with major airlines (Alitalia, Delta) to see the air/hotel independent packages they offer for shorter and longer stays. These will give you a reasonable idea of what to expect from other sources. Also, if you can, travel off-season for excellent deals. (www.italiatourusa.com for Alitalia's packages)

Wherever you decide to go, you will have a wonderful time.
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 09:50 AM
ira

Hi Louise,

I would do a week in Venice, but there are those who would disagree.

I would do a week in Florence, but there are those who would disagree.

Keep in mind that this will not be your only trip to Italy.

How about 4 days Florence and 3 days Venice. You will not see much of Tuscany.

You could fly in and out of Venice or Florence or Fly into one and out of the other.

This link might be helpful Helpful Information: Italy http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34443340

Old Jan 14th, 2004, 09:53 AM

We did Florence and Venice in ten days last year (half and half) taking Eurostar between the two. Can you add a few days on to your trip?

Also, look into flying into one city and out of another.

I agree that with only 7 days, I would not try to do more than two cities. Whatever you do, don't miss Venice. It's just magical.
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 10:04 AM

How exciting that is when you decide to take the plunge for the first time! Although a lot of people on this board are not fond of him, I found Rick Steves' books very helpful for our first European trip. It's not all facts and figures; he provides lots of commentary about differences in culture, dress, etc., and tries to inject some humor. He's very budget-conscious as well. Check websites like Expedia, Orbitz, and Travelocity to get an idea of ticket prices. They will be highest in the summer. There is loads of information here and on slowtrav regarding accomodations; there's also the thorntree message board (through lonelyplanet.com) that tends to be more budget-oriented that Fodors (generally more info about hostels, staying in convents, other inexpensive accomodations). Trains in Italy are a great way to get around; you can see schedules at trenitalia.com. There's also a great thread here called "Helpful Information: Italy" http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34452576 that has great basic information to get you going. You've made the decision--go for it!