Search

italy by train?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 02:52 PM
rmh

italy by train?

two of us are planning our first trip to Italy (2 weeks in early May). we prefer not to do any driving. our main goals are to see Rome, Florence, Venice. Ideally, we would like to visit Sienna, Assisi but not sure if that is a good idea given the amount of time & no car.<BR><BR>my question: is it feasible to travel between these cities by train? Can you provide me with the approximate travel times assuming arrival into Rome and return to Rome for flight home. <BR><BR>I apologize if this too basic a question, but this is our first trip to Europe and trying to figure out how to get started.<BR><BR>thanks<BR>rmh

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 03:06 PM
Rex

In general, a first trip to Italy can be done very weel by train only with no car (even though I actually still DO recommend a car).<BR><BR>But since you mention Siena (note: spelling - - which is also a tip off to the pronunciation - - rhymes with Elena, not Vienna, nor hyena) - let me pass on the oft-mentioned tip her: bus to Siena is far better than train. Train leaves you with a formidable climb up the hill to Siena proper. Bus takes you up there.<BR><BR>From Florence, that is.<BR><BR>And for Assisi, there is train service that is 2-3 km distant, but then bus service to get you up INto Assisi.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 10:22 PM
Kay

We have driven in Italy and also done a trip by train and prefer the train as there are less hassles - no need to find somewhere to park, and Italy was built well before cars were thought of, both of you can look at the scenery, plus its cheaper than car hire, petrol, parking and road tolls.<BR>A good site for train times and costs is: www.trenitalia.com but you must key in the Italian spelling, in your case, Roma, Firenze and Venezia.<BR>You can buy all your train tickets at once when you arrive, either from Termini, the main train station or a travel agent. We found 2nd class travel fine but the trains do get very busy, so it's a good idea to get a seat reservation which costs about 3 euro extra, on top of the ticket. <BR>Kay<BR>

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 03:03 AM
belinda

Agree that train travel in Italy is easy, but would recommend 1st class if you don't mind spending a little more. For me, the additional comfort is worth it.

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 03:13 AM
Steve James

Fastest journey times by train areBR><BR>Rome-Florence ..... 95mins.<BR>Florence-Venice ... 2hrs.50mins.<BR>Venice-Rome ....... 4hrs.32mins.<BR><BR>Rome-Assisi ....... 1hr. 45mins.<BR>Florence-Assisi ... 2hrs.20mins.<BR><BR>As Rex says, Siena is easiest by bus from Florence, which takes 75 mins.<BR><BR>Hope this helps ...<BR><BR>Steve<BR>

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 08:15 AM
rmh

thanks to all for your quick and helpful replies. i truly appreciate the assistance.<BR><BR>rmh

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 08:20 AM
Patricia

You should find some information on these website. There is also a book with all time tables. You can go to borders and check the information without buying it.<BR><BR>http://www.europass-italia.it/<BR>(practice the language)<BR>or<BR>http://www.raileurope.com/us/rail/pa...taly_index.htm

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 08:31 AM
Andre

rmh,<BR><BR>Train schedules are available at<BR>- the official web site of the Italian Railways:<BR>www.trenitalia.com<BR>- the Swiss railway web site (perhaps more user-friendly, but no fare quotes):<BR>http://www.rail.ch/pv/index_e.htm<BR><BR>Book your trains at a train station or (better) a travel agency once you arrive in Italy (but a few days before you take your first train trip). It helps to print out schedule info for the trains you want to take - just show it to the clerk so he/she knows what you want.<BR><BR>First class is not much more expensive than 2nd, but can be a lot more relaxing when the train is crowded.<BR><BR>Hope this helps,<BR>Andre

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 08:59 AM
Rob

Agree with most of above answers except for me the trip from Florence to Siena by bus was very uncomfortable -very hot, crowded,( this past May) I took the train back and it was very comfortable. The taxi ride from train station to hotels is reasonable. I did use first class and made reservations for all legs at a travel agent upon my arrival at first stay which was Bellagio. All the trips were on time although just missed a strike by one day leaving Venice.

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 09:26 AM
Kate

I would recommend buying your train tickets several days in advance. We made the mistake of buying our tickets the day before leaving Rome for Venice, and could only get 1 st class seats in the smoking car. This was in Novemver too -- not even high season. <BR>Regarding the smaller Tuscan towns: We took an Amercian Express bus/day trip to Sienna and another small city. It was easy, pleasant, and all the time we needed in the small Tuscans.<BR>Hope this helps.

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 10:09 AM
Vita

Yes, you can do this by train. Since you're visiting three major cities, I would suggest Siena as a day trip from Florence by bus. I have not been to Assisi.

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 10:12 AM
Vita

One more thing. I'm taking my second trip to Rome in a couple of months and have opted for a day trip to Orvieto instead of Assisi because it's an easier train trip. I have not looked into taking the bus though.

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 05:36 PM
ttt

topping<BR>

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 09:04 AM
Pat

One thing you might consider is flying into Rome and out of Florence rather than wasting time returning to Rome. We did this several years ago.<BR><BR>A couple of mistakes we made as first-timers on our own in Italy: We left Rome in early morning to Orvieto, only to find upon arrival there that the only train out of Orvieto for Assisi left 45 minutes later! We had a prearranged hotel reservation in Assisi so had to leave at once. Upon leaving Assisi the next day for Siena (this was a Sunday), we had to scurry to catch a bus as there was no train service on Sunday. <BR><BR>From there, things went smoothly and we took buses to San Gimignano, Volterra, Cortona and Florence without incident.<BR><BR>