Reload this Page >

MONTEPULCIANO to where next via public transportation

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 07:47 AM
michelle

i still have 3 weeks left in italy ... will be going to montepulciano from Florence (train to Siena and transfer to bus??? if anyone out there has a schedule let me know times please) ... so where can i go next via public transportation? been to siena, and san gimignano in this area ... was hoping for cortona, assisi, perugia possibly ... can i get there and how. bus and train infomation booths have not been extremely helpful in Florence. I am based in Florence for another 3 weeks ... so any other suggestions would be appreciated. I am off to Bologna/Ferrara tomorrow for a few days. p.s. I dont want to go too far ... more than 3 hours via public trans. many thanks

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 03:15 PM
Monty Pull Cheeano

To get to MP from Florence you have to go through Chiusi. Take the train to Chiusi (about 1 hr on an Intercity) and then transfer to a bus to MP (about 50 min). Buy a ticket at the tabbachi in the Chiusi train station. The busses to and from MP are reasonably well-coordinated with the trains in Chiusi. You can get to MP via a train to Siena, but it's more trouble than it's worth.<BR><BR>Warning: if the bus route includes the city of Sarteano, go to the first farmacia you can find and buy a pack of Travelgum. The road to Sarteano is VERY twisty and windy, and the Travelgum helps against motion sickness.<BR><BR>MP is a regional bus center. You can take a bus to Chiusi, Chianciano, Arezzo, Siena (via Pienza), and I think a couple of other places. From Arezzo, you can probably take other busses to Sinalunga, Cortona, Lucignano, etc. Getting to Perugia from MP without a car is a royal pain in the arse. You have to take the bus to Chiusi, then a train to Terontola, and then a second train to Perugia -- all in all, about 2.5 - 3 hours.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 03:39 PM
Lesli

Michelle -<BR><BR>I prefer to take the bus from Florence to Siena, rather than the train (gets you closer to town.) So perhaps you can take one that continues on to Montepulciano, or skips Siena altogether, since you've already been. I don't have my travel notes with me, but it's either Lazzi or SITA buses that run this route. Both have info available on-line, or you should be able to ask for an easy to read schedule at the station.<BR><BR>From Florence, I've also enjoyed trips out to Lucca (by bus) and Orvieto (by train.)

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 12:13 AM
michelle

thank you ... now the train station says it is possible to take a train to montepulciano. has anyone done this?<BR><BR>also, the above post says how hard it is to get to Perugia, I am assuming it is the same for Assisi. and is it possible to get there from Montepulciano or elsewhere in southern tuscany without pulling out my hair?

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 01:40 AM
Steve James

Michelle - There's an 08.42 train from Florence to Montepulciano with a change of train at CHIUSI. <BR>Journey time is 1 hr 48'.<BR><BR>See www.trenitalia.it for full timetable<BR><BR>Alternatively you can get a bus from Chiusi to Montepulciano.<BR><BR>Hope this helps ...<BR><BR>Steve<BR><BR>P.S. The Chiusi-Terontola-Assisi train I mentioned on the other thread (assuming it was you!) goes via Perugia.

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 03:51 AM
Steve James

P.S. Haven't used it but I think Montepulciano Station may be a few miles from town. (There will normally be a connecting bus service).<BR><BR>If this is the case (- maybe someone else can confirm?), bus from Chiusi might be a quicker option.<BR><BR>Steve

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 06:55 AM
Brian in Atlanta

My understanding is that the Chuisi option is better because the buses from there to Montepulciano are better timed with the train arrivals. I'll be seeing if that's true soon . . .

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 10:03 AM
Mike

There is connecting bus service from the trainstation directly to Montepulciano.<BR><BR>We took it last year around this time. It takes about 20 minutes from the station to MP. It's a great time of year there, but you probably know that!

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 03:19 PM
Monty Pull Cheeano

Montepulciano does have its own train station, but it's on the secondary line between Siena and Chiusi and is several miles out of town, although it's certainly closer than the Chiusi train station. However, if you're coming from any city other than ones in southern/central Tuscany, the amount of time you'll save by having a shorter bus ride you'll lose by having to change trains in Chiusi.<BR><BR>There are many more trains that use the main Rome-Florence line and stop in Chiusi, than there are that use the Chiusi-Siena secondary line.

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 11:19 AM
michelle

thanks again...<BR><BR>how about montepulciano to orvieto as a day trip?? possible?<BR><BR>will probably try montalcino, but i think i need two buses to get there.

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 09:36 AM
up4uuu

<BR>????<BR>