Search

Italy

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26th, 2011, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Italy

Hi!
My sisters and I want to send my parents to Italy for their 30th anniversary. However, none of us have been there and we don't really know where in Italy to send them. We want to send them for two weeks but I'm pretty sure they want to go to Spain as well so I want to add that to the itinerary. What are your suggestions on where to stay, and must sees in both Italy and Spain? Help Please!

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
Old Jul 26th, 2011, 01:55 PM

Need a few answers first. How mobile are your folks? What are their interests. Have they traveled overseas before? Are they more of the self-motivated type or prefer things laid out for them? What time of year are you looking at (summer=HOT).

dave
Old Jul 26th, 2011, 02:00 PM

agree with Dave......what kind of lodging do they prefer? Do they prefer coast or mountains? Big cities or small villages?
Old Jul 26th, 2011, 02:02 PM

In addition to Dave's questions - are your parents the sort of people who would prefer to plan their own trip? It's a GREAT idea for you and your sisters to spring for the trip. A lot of people, though (including most on Fodor's, I'd say) really enjoy the planning before the trip. Just a thought.

As far as where they would like, it really depends on your parents. Some people like Colorado more than New York; some people will like Rome better than Venice (or whatever). Do they usually like museums? History buffs? Outdoorsy? Foodies?

Wanting to add Spain complicates things a bit too - as you know, those are both big countries with a lot to experience in each. Would they rather do Spain as its own trip? Or Spain instead of Italy? If you think the combination would work, I'd pick one or two places max in both countries. Two weeks goes quickly, and the more they move around, the more time they'll spend traveling instead of actually seeing what they want to see.
Old Jul 26th, 2011, 02:20 PM
Original Poster

Okay...they are very mobile and will have no problem using public transportation, ferries, driving etc. They have never traveled overseas before. This will be their first time out of the country. As far as having things laid out for or if they are self motivated, they are a little of both. They want to see the "must see stuff" but they also definitely would love some time to just venture out on their own and go explore. My mom does not do well in hot weather so it will definitely have to be a time when the weather is cooler. They would prefer a more coastal setting, and probably a small village but would probably want to explore a big city as well. My mom will have no problem with me and my sisters planning and my dad will thank us for saving him the headache! My mom loves nature and my dad loves history.
Old Jul 26th, 2011, 02:36 PM

Get them some guidebooks and see what appeals to them.
Old Jul 26th, 2011, 03:31 PM

If they think "Spain", why push Italy on them? Two weeks will be used up quickly by the sights in Spain. But StCirq is right, guidebooks are in order.
Old Jul 26th, 2011, 03:53 PM

I would look at airfares and other expenses and make sure you can afford to give them this wonderful gift.

Then figure out if they like cities or country; art museums; or long lunches; why Spain more than Italy.

And then you and your sisters should buy some maps and educate yourself a little and then get together with your partents and all plan the wonderful trip they will get to go on.

If you Mom is sesitive to heat then the perfect month is the last part of September. Another option is May
Old Jul 26th, 2011, 04:11 PM
Original Poster

We are not pushing Italy on them...They want to go to Italy and were thinking that it might be possible to go to Spain as well. They would like to see as much as they can while they are there. I have traveled overseas before and am well aware that guidebooks are essential. I was hoping that someone could give me some suggestions based on personal experiences. I also understand that everybody has different interests, likes/dislikes. I am not asking for someone to plan the trip, simply asking for some suggestions.
Old Jul 26th, 2011, 04:28 PM

In Italy, you might start by checking out Rome (for history) and maybe the Cinque Terre (coastlines and smaller towns). If they really want quiet, I was at Lake Como in May (the beginning of the season) and it was QUIET. My understanding is that it's much more crowded in July and August, but at the beginning of spring, I felt like we were the only ones walking around Varenna.

How hot is too hot for your mom? We were in Italy May 8-19, in Rome for the first several days, and it was easily 80 degrees or more while we were there. Not a big deal for me, but if you're outside walking all day (especially at the Forum or other places without much shade), that could get toasty. Once we got to Venice and Lake Como it was considerably cooler.
Old Jul 26th, 2011, 05:17 PM

I suggest that you have your parents decide between Italy and Spain. Two weeks is not enough time for both if they really want to see much of either. Both are worth visiting but, for us, Italy is a place to return again and again - there is so much to see and do. The problem with trying to do so much, especially on a first trip, is that one spends more time moving about than actually appreciating one's surroundings.

I think it is wonderful that you and your sisters are giving this great gift to your parents.