Italy

Old Jul 28th, 2010, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Italy

we just got hit with unexpected news and may have to pospone our trip to Italy until October. Is it to cold to enjoy Italy in October rather than September as scheduled. My wife wants to pack lite and thinks that October we will need sweaters and coats etc...

The tentative dates would now be October 13-31st can any of our Italy experts help with the pro's and con's of October vs September ...Help
Old Jul 28th, 2010, 08:20 AM

Peter--I have been to Italy in both Sept. and Oct. and I have had a marvelous time no matter which month I am there. Depending on where you will be (Italy spans a lot of climate zones!)it may range from warm to chilly. Will you be south of Rome? North of Florence? On flat ground or in the mountains? Check out www.weatherunderground.com where you can get historical data for the area at the time of year you will be visiting.
Old Jul 28th, 2010, 08:26 AM

I clicked on your name to see where you are going. You can pack the same as you would September if you pack long underwear (check out Winter Silks) and at least one waterproof jacket, even just a simple one with a hood that folds up into a tiny pouch. You won't need a coat, and if you feel cold, you can buy clothes. If you have a fleece or down vest, wear it over on the plane. It's a good all-weather protection against chill, especially with long underwear (which dries overnight in a hotel room).
Old Jul 28th, 2010, 08:36 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Peter, I did the same as Zeppole, and see that you are going to Rome, Florence and Siena.

I can only tell you that when we spent a week in Florence at the end of October about 3 years ago, we ate outside every night - and we are NOT people who like to sit outside and shiver. the day-time, it was really quite warm ie T-shirt weather.

If I were you, I would not overburden myself with thick jumpers or jackets, though as zeppole says, i would take a raincoat of some type, just in case.
Old Jul 28th, 2010, 05:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Most of our trips to Italy have been in late October. We take clothes we can layer to handle varying temps, raincoats and a folding umbrella. I've never taken long underwear or a down vest, but I do take lightweight gloves, a warm hat and a scarf.

FYI, the average high/low temps in October are Rome 71/56 Florence 69/51, and in November Rome 62/46 and Florence 58/42. Not exactly Arctic unless you live somewhere like Miami or Hawaii.

http://www.weatherbase.com/weather/w...=124261&refer=

http://www.weatherbase.com/weather/w...?s=7161&refer=