avg. weather in Italy mid-late October

Jun 5th, 2006, 07:12 PM
Original Poster

avg. weather in Italy mid-late October

FI and I are going on our honeymoon for 15 nights; Rome, Montalcino, Florence, Venice. I know it sounds like a lot but this is our final decision and all the places that we want to be... Anyway, I am tryng to purchase some non wrinkle clothing to pack lightly and have heard so many different opinions of the weather. What should we expect?
Jun 5th, 2006, 07:31 PM

You need to prepared for rain, but that means waterproof shoes and some kind of hooded poncho. Land's End has ones that fold up into nothing. You can buy cheap travel umbrellas everywhere you are planning to go. Likewise warm hats and scarves, so I wouldn't pack them.

Other than that, you should pack for mild autumn weather. I would favor trousers over skirts and a down vest is a great all-purpose item to have. (Again, Lands' End or LL Bean.) What would make a great deal of sense is to pack some silk underwear to wear under your non-wrinlke clothes in case you are surprised by a cold snap. (Try the website of Winter Silks. You can wear the undies as PJs in winter, so they won't be just a one-time purchase.)

But otherwise, you should be comfortable in ordinary shirts and pants during the day, and you can add a shawl or jacket at night if need be.
Jun 5th, 2006, 07:35 PM

We are doing the same route, starting in Venice, at the same time. Curious as to what folks have to say.

BTW, best wishes for a beautiful love filled future!

Diane
Jun 5th, 2006, 09:07 PM

I was in Florence from October 18th through November 1st last year and it was warm and sunny everyday except for the first 2 days. Definitely bring an umbrella, but I think the key is layering...bring light jackets, but also sweaters and t-shirts...I brought my leather jacket, which only provided nice padding for presents..didn't use it once.

Hope you have a fabulous time!!!