Search

ITALY

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23rd, 2009, 08:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ITALY

Hi,

I am going to Italy for the first time in about 3 wks and need some help with transportation info:

I have a tentative itinerary which includes Venice, Rome, Florence, Milan, Asissi..We will be based in Rome for 1 wk, then Venice for 1 wk; the other cities will be day-trips... I am planning to get a Rome pass and a Venice pass for the days we explore these cities...Here are some of my questions:

1. We're arriving at the Marco Polo Airport....what is the closest train station because we have to travel to Rome right where we will be staying for the first week...what is the easiest way of transportation from the airport to the train station...and how much will it cost?

2. For our inter-city trips, I am planning to get the Italy Pass for 5 days, any suggestions?

3. What is the easiest, most economical way of getting the reservation for the Italy Pass? would you suggest getting everything online?

4. If we were to go on comfortable pace, what are some of the must-see attractions for each city?

Thank you!!!

Mark
Old Oct 23rd, 2009, 08:56 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
You do not want a pass for Italy. It's almost never cost effective and a pass does not include the cost of seat reservations (required on the faster trains - AV/ES/ICPlus/IC) which can run 15-20€ per seat.

Post your itinerary and you will get some suggestions. Are you flying into Venice first? Staying there a few days? Flying home from Rome?
Old Oct 23rd, 2009, 09:39 PM
Original Poster

Thank you very much!!! I appreciate your response

We are flying into Venice but will be staying in Rome for our first week....our 2nd week will be in Venice and will fly out of Venice as well after...I have compared the prices between getting a pass or not, and it seems that the 5-day pass is cheaper if we were to do the first class one...but you have a very good point about the reservations needed...however, the advantage of the pass it seems is that it is a faster? (if first class); my concern with 2nd class is the seat assurance for my family and the longer duration unless it is a high-speed train of course
Old Oct 23rd, 2009, 10:36 PM

There is no advantage to a pass for Italy. I'm not sure why you would think a pass would be any faster than just buying a ticket at the station for the exact same train. As I said, seats are mandatory. You can't ride without a seat reservation on the fast trains on these major routes. Has nothing to do with 1st cl or 2nd cl since ALL SEATS ARE RESERVED on AV, ES, ICPlus and IC trains. If you are traveling with family, you would qualify for a family discount of 20% if you buy your point-to-point tickets from Trenitalia when you arrive in Italy. 2nd cl is perfectly fine on the better/faster trains (AV or ES). It's roomier than coach on an airplane.

I don't think you have accurately compared the prices. Even with a slight current sale on passes, I don't think you will benefit from buying one. Every time you want to use it you have to pay an extra $22-30 (x5 days = $150). You must add that to the cost of a pass.

Additionally, some of your day trips are not a good idea. Milan is too far from any of the cities to day trip.

Florence should be done enroute to Rome as the train passes through instead of backtracking from Venice or Rome which wastes time (not to mention money). I would spend the first night or two in Florence, train to Rome (Assisi if you have time and might be better done by bus than train), train to Venice.

The only trains that don't have reserved seats are the slow r and d trains and you wouldn't buy a ticket for those as they make too many stops unless it's a route that is not covered by fast trains. The fast trains are only on the routes between major cities, not smaller towns. Many towns are better reached by bus as they will have no train service.

Day 1 - Arrive Venice, train to Florence - 91€ for family of four with family discount 2nd cl (138€ 1st cl).

Day 3 - Train to Rome - 103€ 2nd cl (146 1st) - train ride is only 90 minutes - can't imagine why you would need 1st for such a short ride.

Day 7 or 8 - train to Venice - 129.70 2nd cl (187.50 1st)

That's a total of 323€ for all your tickets except Assisi which you may want to bus. I don't see how you can buy four train passes plus pay seat reservations for four people (assumed four since you mentioned family) for that amount. All the prices I listed include your seat reservations.

Another option is to stop in Assisi on your way back from Rome to Venice. Rome to Assisi doesn't have many fast trains so a slower train might work better for the time of day you want to travel. Price ranges from 10-20€ depending on train without discount.

I didn't include Milan as it just isn't practical.
Old Oct 24th, 2009, 06:07 AM

Have you checked into cheap flights to Venice? You are in for a very long day if you fly into Marco Polo simply to get on a train for Rome the same day.

It sounds as if your apartments are confirmed as are your dates so the itinerary is not flexible. But I would opt for a flight before subjecting myself to such a grueling travel day.
Old Oct 24th, 2009, 06:08 AM

I meant to say "Have you checked into cheap flights FROM Venice to Rome? "
Old Oct 24th, 2009, 06:34 AM

From the airport to ROme it depends where is your hotel, the train is not such a great deal if you have to pay 15 more euros for a taxi, which is for a hotel not that far from the Termini.
I always have the hotel send me a car. A taxi from Airport has a flat rate, but you have to be sure to get into the right kind of taxi. Check further. Train ticket is like 10 euros each, so that makes 20 euros for a couple + taxi, and a taxi from airport should be around 40 eu, the rental car I took last Sep was only 35 eu but may be he made a special rate for me. Not sure.
For trains if you wish to save you can take the Intercity trains, buy tickets in station or pay a small fee, vey small in travl agencies, the good thing about Intercity is that they are less expensive from the go that the Euro stars, which are a little faster, but buying the tickets ahead it is easy to get the Amici discount. In Euro starts you get a 20% but have to buy tickets at least one week ahead. Instead the Intercity does not requiere so much time ahead.
If your hotel is near the Trastevere there is a local train which is only aprox. 5 euros per person.
Old Oct 24th, 2009, 06:35 AM

As some said Second class is just fine.
Old Oct 24th, 2009, 06:36 AM

Graziella - The OP is not flying into Rome. He's flying in and out of Venice.
Old Oct 24th, 2009, 07:00 AM

If you have kids under 12 (I think that's the age), you can possibly take advantage of the familia pass, which will provide an additional 20% of the regular price for the parents, and kids are always 50% of the regular price.

We have visited Rome and Venice a number of times, and have never bought the Roma or Venezia pass, simply because if you add up the places covered by it, and we do go to a lot of museums, etd., not enough places are included to make the costs any cheaper. I assume you've done that analysis.

I agree that a day trip to Milan is way, way too far. I also wouldn't even go to Florence as a day trip. Come to think of it, Assisi would be a really long day trip, too. Trenitalia shows it as a 2-hour trip, or more, depending on which train you take - that's each way, of course.

The idea of spending several nights in Florence is a good one, if you're willing to change your lodging plans.

If you want to take day trips, consider cities closeer to either Venice or Rome. For Venice, that would be Verona, Padua, or Bologna. For Rome, I'm not sure - maybe Orvieto. Personally, I could spend a week just in Rome, with a day trip to Ostia Antica.
Old Oct 24th, 2009, 07:08 AM

Hi Mark, Kybourbon is giving some very good advice on travel between the cities, if you really want to do the trains. However, you may well find that you can get a fairly inexpensive flight from Venice to Rome.

As to stuff to do in Rome, you can check out my website, go under the "Library and Touring" menu and you'll find all kinds of free downloads.

www.passagetoroma.com

Just how long are you going to be in Italy? It looks like, from your second post that it is 2 weeks. You can do a "day trip" to Florence, but it deserves more. Milan is out of the way from either Venice or Rome. Have you already set your hotel/apartment reservations or can these be changed?

dave
Old Oct 24th, 2009, 07:23 AM

>>> familia pass, which will provide an additional 20%<<<

Familia is not a pass, but a discount. The prices I gave above were based on the familia discount with Trenitalia.

Most of the time, the 3 day Roma Pass will easily pay for itself, but they do not offer a pass for kids that I know of so I don't know how it would work with kids. The Pass is 23€ and if you use it for the Colosseum/Forum/Palantine (considered one entrance) and the Borghese, you've pretty much received the value of the pass. The Colosseum is 9€, but always seems to have a special exhibit which adds another 2€ to the entrance price and the Borghese is 8.50€, but seems to have an exhibit that adds several more € to the ticket price (13.50€). Even using it for Castel Sant'Angelo would help you reach the 23€ value as it has a special exhibit right now and entrance is currently 10€. There are about 100 museums/sites covered in Rome plus you get the three day transport pass AND it lets you bypass lines at sites. You just need to use it for the two most expensive sites first for your free entrances and after that you get about 50% discount at most of the rest.
Old Oct 24th, 2009, 07:39 AM

You will also see something called the Archeological Card, which is a 7 day pass, but no transportation is included. We've found that this is only worthwhile if you are planning on visiting most of it's related sites. It has far fewer sites than the Roma Pass.

The Roma Pass is a very good deal.

There is an amazing amount of things to see and do around Rome that are free. How old are your kids and what are their interests?
Old Oct 24th, 2009, 08:40 AM

Hello Mark. To answer your question regarding getting from the Venice Marco Polo airport to the nearest train station so you can take the train to Rome, you will want to go the Venice Mestre train station which in on the mainland. The Santa Lucia train is in Venice proper.

There is bus service from the Marco Polo Airport to the Mestre train station. Here is the timetable from the Marco Polo Airport website.

http://www.veniceairport.it/page/ser...bus?m=01020202