Train reservations: where to make and how many to make

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24th, 2011, 03:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We purchased our EuRail Flexi Pass (France/Italy) and our Swiss Saverpass a while ago through Rail Europe. In about a week we'll be 90 days out from our last day of train travel so I'll be making the required reservations at that time. Our passes are for first class and there are 8 in our group with 4 of them being children ages 8 to 14.

(1) Where is the best place to make those reservations? Should I go through Rail Europe again or can I deal directly with the trains companies in France, Switzerland and Italy? If I go directly to the train companies is the process rather difficult (credit cards/translations/no toll free phones, etc)?

From what I understand Rail Europe may be more limited in reserving specific seats we want. An example is we'd like to get the 4 seats across a table and the adjoining 2 seats across a table if possible. Would this be easier by dealing directly?

I also wonder if it's a lot more $$ to reserve through Rail Europe. To make a reservation for all the trains listed below is about $350 per family for 4 people...would it be cheaper to deal directly if it's not too complicated?

(2) My second question involves how many reservations to make. We'll be taking the following trains:
June 2 - Paris to Interlaken
Paris to Basel - reservation required
Basel to Thun - reservation is possible / not required

June 5 - Interlaken to Venice
Interlaken to Spiez - reservation is possible / not required
Spiez to Brig - reservation is possible / not required
Brig - Venice - reservation required

June 6 - Venice to Rome - reservation is possible / not required

With 4 children (3 on younger side) in tow we're thinking more seriously about train reservations than we have in the past...but to make reservations for all of those is rather expensive. Two of those train rides are only 30 minutes. But I've got 2 moms that will be less than thrilled if we get on the train for the ride from Interlaken to Spiez and they can't sit by their kids. Any idea on how likely it will be to find several seats together on some of those shorter lets in Switzerland in early June w/out a reservation? In the long run $350 isn't a deal breaker...but with all the times I've said that as we planned this trip those small things are adding up. I would be rather disappointed if I make reservations for all of those legs and several of them are on half empty train cars.

Thanks for your help
Old Feb 24th, 2011, 04:01 PM
J62

I can't speak for Switzerland or France. In Italy, reservations ARE required for high speed trains Venice to Rome. You can just get them at the Venice train station when you arrive on Sunday. There are trains every hour or 2 all day long, so there really is no risk of not getting seats, especially in first class.

That's a heck of a long way to go for one day in Venice. I'd be more concerned about the train/travel fatigue going from Paris to Interlaken to Venice to Rome all in the span of 5 days, schlepping luggage from train to train, train to boat, etc. with 3 youngins in tow.
Old Feb 24th, 2011, 04:06 PM
Original Poster

Understood...the Venice leg was a last minute decision and wasn't my first choice.

Our kids are really looking forward to the train days...I think it's their most looked forward to part of the trip. I see those days as some of the more restful parts of the trip actually.
Old Feb 24th, 2011, 04:59 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
For Italy, any trains except the slow R trains (no reserved seats possible on R trains) require a seat reservation. For the fast trains (AV,ES) the cost is 10€. For the IC trains, 3€. Raileurope will charge more.
Old Feb 25th, 2011, 12:35 AM

For journeys by TGV in France, you should book as soon as possible. The SNCF allocates only a limited number of seats for rail pass holders; once they have gone, you need to pay the full fare to travel on that train.
For Switzerland and Italy, reservations can be made at the stations.
Old Feb 25th, 2011, 02:26 AM
Original Poster

kybourbon
Actually those are about the prices RailEurope is charging me. They are charging me $128 for 8 tickets on the ES train for Venice to Rome. Just a bit more than 10€ a person.

GeoffHamer
I will definitely be booking the TGV as far out as possible. That is also our longest train so it will be well worth it.

As is typical for me when I ask a question I beat around the bush too much and my main concern gets buried in all the rest...

****What I really need to know is how busy is the Basel to Thun IC train in first class on June 2 and how busy is the Interlaken to Spiez ICE train and the Spiez to Brig IC train on in first class on June 5. Do we need reservations for 8 to be in the same coach or are they rather empty?

I realize those are specific questions that most can't answer. I'm looking for general impressions from people's past experience on how busy those trains might be.
Old Feb 26th, 2011, 05:05 AM
J62

There are IC trains from Basel to Thun twice an hour all day long. I can't see any way that 1st class get sold out.

Interlaken to Spiez trains 3 times an hour, either IC or regional. They both take about the same time 20-25min.

My recommendation is to not bother making a seat reservation on either of those legs.

If you arrive at the station in time to catch an earlier train you can just hop on the next train. QED.

For what it's worth, my kids thought train trips were the most exciting part when they were the same age. For the first 30min or so that is, then they asked the proverbial kids & roadtrip question...
Old Feb 26th, 2011, 05:53 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
>>>I will definitely be booking the TGV as far out as possible. That is also our longest train so it will be well worth it.<<<

I would think your Brig/Venice leg will be longest. I only see one train per day on this route that doesn't require a change and the travel time is 5 hours. Seat fee with pass is 10€ each.

>>Spiez to Brig IC train on in first class on June 5.<<<

There are three trains per hour on this route (one R train and two either IC or EC). It's only a 35 minute ride, except for the R trains.
Old Feb 27th, 2011, 04:39 AM

Swiss domestic journeys aren't reservable, you just hop on.

TGVs are 'reservation obligatory' unfortunately the French Raiulways website doesn't alow 'reservation only' bookings so you're left with using Rail Europe for these.

For journeys wholly within Italy on Eurostar Italia trains, the 10 euro surcharge/reservation can be paid/made at www.trenitalia.com. Act as if buying a normal ticket, then when you see a drop down box marked 'more fares' select 'global pass'. The fare should then change to 10 euros. You'll get a simple choice of seating arrangement this way. You then simply quote the booking reference on board the train, no ticket required.

For Brig-Venice the site to use is www.sbb.ch, but I don't think this will do 'reservation only' bookings.
Old Mar 1st, 2011, 01:49 PM

From what I understand Rail Europe may be more limited in reserving specific seats we want. An example is we'd like to get the 4 seats across a table and the adjoining 2 seats across a table if possible. Would this be easier by dealing directly?>

RailEurope can indeed do this as they have access to I believe the same booking system European railways do - now if they will take the time to do this cumbersome block reservation I doubt it - I understand to talk to someone at RE you may have to pay a surcharge - used to be on their site but have not looked recently. And at times RE prices are in the ballpark - like Italian trains I believe RE is about $13 or about 10 euro - again this was a few months ago but I have not compared recently. Anyway do as man in seat 61 says for trenitalia.com but if that finicky site won't work I always recommend for any reservations the folks at www.budgeteuropetravel.com where you can talk by phone to someone who knows everything about these matters - I have bought railpasses from them for years and attest to their great personal service - just mention as a last resort - try the online sources others mention because at times, like TGV seats that cost 3 euros in France RE charges I believe $13 or so dollars per seat and a one-time order fee. The Italian reservations I've always made there without problem - especially as you have a first-class pass but you do have a large group you want to sit together. TGV reservations can be very very problematic on site IME - especially with a large group and you may well not be able to make them IME once in France as there is a cap on the number of passholders they let on each TGV apparently - does not mean the train is sold out just that the seats alloted for passholders is sold out for that train. Get TGV reservations in advance at all costs IME!
Old Mar 4th, 2011, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the feedback. We will most likely just make the reservations through Rail Europe even though they do have a slight surcharge attached. It seems that their prices are rather competitive to the numbers people have listed above.

We won't make reservations on all of trains...will skip out on the two 20 minute trains near Interlaken. I'm going to make a reservation on the following trains:

**Paris to Thun
-Paris to Basel - reservation required
-Basel to Thun - not required but will make reservation

**Interlaken to Venice
-Interlaken to Spiez - not making reservation
-Spiez to Brig - not making reservation
-Brig - Venice - reservation required

Thanks again for the feedback
Old Mar 4th, 2011, 12:44 PM

Yup RailEurope, contrary to what many Fodorites say, can be quite competitive with local fares and recently adjusted downward some of their Italian fares. And for any RE product I would recommend calling Byron at www.budgeteuropetravel.com, a RE agent whom I have bought railpasses from for years and can attest to great personal service and I believe lower handling/mailing fees than RE but more great advice, etc. The feeling of having everything booked can be priceless. PS - Some folks say www.trenitalia.com has changed and you may nw be able to book online discounts whereas not long ago it was inmpossible. You may want to see what discounted fares are available and how they stack up to RE.
Old Mar 5th, 2011, 07:03 AM

In years of Swiss train riding I have rarely seen any need for reservations on Swiss trains and indeed many do not even accept them I believe so for Basel to Thun I think that would be a waste of money - I rarely see any Swiss reserve seats on those trains - the train no doubt starts in Basel so will be fairly empty at that time - and since so few Swiss book seats most of the seats will be free to sit in - unlike some countries like Germany, in 2nd class, where seats may be reserved down the line - again in Switzerland most seats IME are available on first come first and if you have a first-class pass then you will always find lots of empty seats and again the train starts in Basel - I would not fret it.
Old Mar 5th, 2011, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the update PalenQ...I'll probably drop that reservation.
Old Mar 6th, 2011, 09:27 AM

Oops - now i note you have first-class passes in Switzerland as well - in that case you should find lots of empty seats when the train departs from Basel. Note if you do see a tag on a seat it may say that that seat is reserved down the line so do not sit in it - not many of these on Swiss trains as folks do not seem to reserve seats.

Cheers
Old Mar 7th, 2011, 08:27 AM

BTW - If you want to make reservations on the Swiss train Basel to Thun you can easily do that in Basel for a few Swiss francs - and you will have to go to the ticket window in any case to activate your Swiss Pass and could at least ask the clerk, who will speak decent English IME whether reservations are advised or not - most likely he/she will say no but you could easily I believe get a block of seats if you wish.

Swiss trains also may well have a childs' play area onboard - could ask about that as well or about Family compartments that could be booked.

cheers!
Old Mar 7th, 2011, 02:13 PM
Original Poster

PalenQ...as always you've provided excellent advice. I'll be making the reservations tonight.