Italy

Jan 11th, 2008, 05:41 PM
Original Poster

Italy

Italy

After a 12 days cruise to the Baltic we arrive in Milan on the 26th July. We want to go to Cinque Terre and then have about 8 days before we fly back to Aust from Milan. Open to suggetions on where we should go...........Sardinia, Lake Como, Switzland open to suggestions, can anyone give me some idea? We have been to Tuscany about 3yrs ago and loved it, but thought somewhere else would be good, we are a couple in our 50's.

Anna

Jan 11th, 2008, 07:12 PM

If you're going in/out of Milan, a logical choice may be Piedmont/Torino (Turin) or the lake district. Food, wine, history, museums, etc.

Not only Lake Como, but I'd also consider Lago Maggiore and the Borromeo Islands.
Jan 12th, 2008, 03:20 AM
ira

Hi P,

How about CT to Rome, 3 nights, train to Venice - 3 nights, train to Milan overnight before flying home?

Jan 12th, 2008, 05:09 AM

Hi pachet,

rick stein recently did a series about the med, in which he went to Sardinia.

it's certainly gone to the top of my list, though it might be a bit hot in July.

depending on how you feel about hot wether, you might like to go to the lakes, or how about the swiss mountains - great that time of year.

regards, ann
Jan 12th, 2008, 06:07 AM

My vote would be Lake Como and Venice.
Jan 12th, 2008, 07:17 AM

Another vote for the Lake District--Lago Maggiore, Lake Como are just beautiful. Although the sun can be very direct, it's rarely humid due to breezes off the lakes. As much as I adore Rome, I'd not attempt it on this particular trip.

BC
Jan 12th, 2008, 07:56 AM
jgg

I second the recommendation for Piemonte/Torino for atleast part of the 8 days. It is a fabulous region with great food, wine and people. We stayed at Baur B&B in Acqui Terme for 5 nights in June 2006 and consider it one of our favorite places in Europe (www.baurbb.com). We were able to do wonderful daytrips from there and found Torino one of the most underrated cities in Italy.