Italy

Old May 28th, 2002, 12:36 PM
Sabrina

Italy

I am going to Italy. Hitting Milan, Venice, Florence, and Rome. I need a reasonably priced, clean hotel to stay at that is close to the action in each of the cities. Does anyone have any ideas?

Old May 28th, 2002, 12:40 PM
xxx

Before we waste a lot of time, my idea of a reasonably priced hotel in major cities is between $150 and $200 US. Is that your estimate?

Old May 28th, 2002, 01:00 PM
Sabrina

Yes...Reasonably priced would be about $100 to $150 CAD per night.

Old May 28th, 2002, 01:01 PM
Sabrina

Sorry I mean $100 to $150 USD per night...

Old May 28th, 2002, 01:12 PM
Bob

We stayed at the Antica Locanda Al Gambero hotel in Venice in Oct 99 and were pleased with the updated rooms and new bathrooms. While the rooms were small they were clean and nice. <BR><BR>The hotel is located on the Calle dei Fabbri between the Rialto Bridge and St Marks. Cost then including breakfast was 210000L per night. Fax is 39 041 520 0431 if you want to check out availability. I think the 210000L was a little over $100 per night. <BR><BR>We will use this hotel again on next trip to Venice. Hope this helps some.

Old May 28th, 2002, 03:04 PM
Barb

Sabrina--We stayed at The Hotel Casci in Florence; it was spoken of highly by many on this board, and was certainly a great location. The rooms were small, but had plenty of storage space. My advice is to look at a couple of rooms when you check in, they can be very different. We paid Euro 135 for 2 people in mid March 2002, although we reserved well in advance. In addition, we got a 10% discount on top of that price for paying cash. The breakfast and taxes were included, and the breakfast--rolls, juice, coffee(or other hot bev), and fruit was fine. The family that runs it is nice and helpful, and speak good English. They also have a computer in the lobby for free internet access. www.hotelcasci.com<BR><BR>In Venice we stayed at Hotel Ca d'Oro, a 3 star, which I found on Venere.it It was very nice, a little more elegant than the Casci, and about Euro 145, but no cash discount. It's in the Cannareggio district, near the museum Ca d'Oro and its' vaporetto stop. It is a 5 minute walk to Rialto Bridge, and another 5 to Piazza San Marco. We saw parents strolling while their children rode tricycles, and really liked the neighborhood feel. www.hotelcadoro.it<BR><BR>We rented an apartment in Rome 1 block from Trevi Fountain, and really loved having the space. We were joined in Rome by friends, so a 2 bedroom apt was a better deal than a hotel. They will rent for stays of 4 or more days. I will definitely explore that option again. We used Rome Sweet Home. Euro 240 for 4 people www.romesweethome.it

Old May 29th, 2002, 06:15 AM
Dee

Sabrina,<BR><BR>There is no reason to spend more than $100 a night on accomodations in any of these cities. You can find reasonable, clean hotels and pensiones, but you have to do some homework, listen to what advice people give here, and do it as far in advance as possible. You don't say when you're going to Italy.

Old May 29th, 2002, 06:25 AM
helpful

Try searches for<BR><BR>Venice Hotels<BR>Florence Hotels<BR>Rome Hotels<BR>Milan Hotels<BR><BR>And visit Fodors Raves & Rants section.<BR><BR>There are 1000s of posts already on this topic with excellent advice.

Old May 29th, 2002, 06:35 AM
Anna

Just returned yesterday, we stayed at these hotels, they may fit your bill. All included breakfast unless noted.<BR><BR>Milan<BR>Antica Locanda dei Mercanti (double 130 Euros, breakfast not included)<BR>Great location, quiet rooms<BR>http://www.locanda.it/<BR><BR>Venice<BR>Hotel Galleria (small double with canal view and bath 104 Euros) <BR>http://www.hotelgalleria.it/indexbri.htm<BR><BR>Florence<BR>Hotel Bellettini<BR>http://www.firenze.net/hotelbellettini/<BR>Nice double with bath 124 Euros, friendly staff, good location

Old May 29th, 2002, 06:38 AM
Marj

For Florence, Hotel Casci and Hotel Europa. These are very reasonable and very nice for the price. Both are 2*, very convenient, and family run.