Italy - 10 days in November

Sep 5th, 2005, 07:24 AM
Original Poster

Italy - 10 days in November

Hi,
I know this is redundant but I too am looking for some itinerary help! Will be travelling to Italy for a conference in November and will be making a ten day trip out of it. We are starting out in Florence . Have been there before but my DH has not. He is not interested in seeing large cities (i.e. Rome) and planning is in my hands. This is what i have so far:

Florence - 3 nights
San Giminiano/Chianti - 2 nights
Sorrento - 5 nights

I chose Sorrento as a base for Naples, Pompeii and the AC (Positano, Amalfi) because it seemed to be a nice, quiet town as compared to Naples. My questions are as follows:

1) Should I skip San G. and spend more time in the south (considering it is November)

2) Is it even worth visiting the AC at that time of year? May not have the chance to travel again for a while and really wanted to see it but I'm afraid of fog and rain! I chose Sorrento (instead of Amalfi) as base since it is closer to Naples if weather is terrible and we can not visit the smaller cities...

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
Sep 5th, 2005, 08:30 AM

We have been to the Amalfi Coast in November (i think it was 2000) and it was beautiful- Shirts during the day and jackets at night. I wouldn't not go then. I doubt you would have bad weather for more than a day anyway. We had expected Sorrento to be half shut down, but it seemed to be pretty much open. There were no crowds which was great...no waiting in restaurants, good prices in the market area, etc. Pompeii was perfect. Again, no crowds-just a few Italian school groups. However, portions of the grounds which were open in May a couple years later were locked. I found out after the fact that a tip to the closest employee opens those gates as well. I hopes this helps your decision.
Sep 5th, 2005, 10:59 AM

We've been to both the Amalfi Coast and Tuscany in November and enjoyed both areas.
Many of the Amalfi Coast hotels and restaurants close down the end of November for the season, but you should be okay before that.
We found both Sorrento and Pompeii very lively in mid-November.
Tuscany, of course, is great any time of the year!
Sep 5th, 2005, 11:43 AM

We were in Sorrento last November and had a wonderful time. You can read a detailed trip report (with pictures) on my web site. The Sorrento part starts here:
http://www.rozault.com/italy2004/report04.html
Sep 5th, 2005, 02:39 PM

Stay in Chianti and visit San G
Sep 6th, 2005, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all your responses.... glad to hear we can visit AC in November! Thanks to Nonnafelice for sharing the great trip report and photos!