Italian wines - Amalfi Coast

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9th, 2006, 05:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone have any wines to keep our eyes open for as 'bring homes' on our trip there in April? We're definitely going to pick up some Brunellos from the Tuscan area but would like to bring home something from the AC.
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 05:49 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Well the AC is the place for lemoncello - regular and cream. There are other liqeuers you can try. Marcy_ shared a melon one at the KY/IN/OH GTG that she bought in Sorrento. It was a creamy cantalope flavor - yummy.
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 06:02 PM

I brought home a white from the San Marco winery that I really liked. Crisp and light and delicious.
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 06:07 PM
Original Poster

How does one pick out a great lemoncello? Is there a brand that stands above all others?
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 06:39 PM

Your taste bud will tell you. I have it almost every nite.
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 07:30 PM

Sorry, no suggestions but I'm curious because I've never tried to bring wine/liquor back. For those who have done it, how do you managed without breakage? Obviously it would go in the carry on, but other tips? I always breathe a sigh of relief when my pottery makes it back safely.
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 09:50 PM

I love most of the wines from that region. There are many small wineries, just ask around. Some of my favorites are:

Greco di Tufo
Lacryma Christi del Vesuvio
Any of the wines from Ravello
Mastroberardino,
Furore Cuomo - Costa Amalfi doc Riserva
Costa d'Amalfi Ravello Rosso Riserva 2001 Marisa Cuomo - Gran Furor Divina Costiera,
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 12:58 AM

Louisa - We take duty free with us and also bring it back. We use bubble wrap and put the bottles in our cabin bag. No disasters yet!
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 03:02 AM

On my last trip from Europe I brought back 18 botles of wine. The store keepers will give you a fish net type of sleve which easily slips over the bottle. It work very well, I have never had a problem. I have a canvas type carry-on which holds 12 bottles and I use a school size back pack for the rest of my bootie.

US Customs-I have declared the wine on form you get from the airline. I have stopped to tell the customs agent how many bottles I have, they just just wave me on. I've done this through Boston, Hartford, JFK & Newark.

Since the carry-on is overweight I make a point of working out at the gym so that when I lift the bag up to the storage compartment it looks light as to not attract attention.

My wife thinks I'm crazy. What do you think!
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 03:30 AM

What SeaUrchin said, plus Fiano di Avellino (white) & Taurasi (red). Taurasis especially are v. expensive in the UK.
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 05:50 AM

The Sammarco winery is in Ravello at via Civita 43 and they produce some nice wines
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 06:38 AM

Tico, you sound a little crazy but the good kind of crazy. Before I leave home, I stuff my suitcase with bubble wrap so I have it on hand to pack bottles, glass jars or things like tuna, marmelade, and fois gras, etc etc. And I bring lots of zip-loc bags for food such as cheese. I KNOW I am crazy! My boyfriend calls it my traveling deli. Sometimes I buy a pair of shoes on my trip (Spain or Italy) and wear the new shoes. Then I take the empty shoe box and then pack it with all my jars and cans, wrap the whole thing in bubble wrap, stick it in my hand luggage, and I am good to go! Sorry I guess I am a little (!!) off the subject here...