AMALFI COAST,ITALY

Search

AMALFI COAST,ITALY

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21st, 2004, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMALFI COAST,ITALY

GOING THIS SUNDAY-WHERE DO I BUY LEMONCELLO TO MAIL IT HOME TO THE USA-IS THERE SUCH A THING AS HIS AND HERS LEMONCELLO-WILL BE GOING TO SORRENTO, POSITANO, AMALFI, AND RAVELLO
Old Oct 21st, 2004, 03:53 PM

Now that is an original question: his and hers lemoncello?

There is a place right off of Piazza Tasso in Sorrento, next to the flour shop that has a nice assortment of all the different "cellos", lemon, nut, melon, etc.
Old Oct 21st, 2004, 04:06 PM

I think that "his and her lemoncello" would indicate buying two bottles vs one? I dunno, just a thought.
Old Oct 22nd, 2004, 03:19 AM

There are many shops where you can buy limoncello in all three towns, and also in Amalfi. You will have no problem finding one.
For a His and Hers" theme maybe you could by two small souvenir bottles, like one shaped as a Violin and one shaped as a high heeled shoe,a heart, or a moon.
The bottles come in all kinds of shapes.
The salespeople can help you think of something creative!

Old Oct 22nd, 2004, 04:18 AM
Original Poster

how about shipping it home?
Old Oct 22nd, 2004, 04:22 AM
ira

Hi RT,

Thank you for shifting to lower case.

The cost of shipping home 1 or 2 bottles of limoncello makes it not worth the effort.

Get some at the duty-free shop before you leave. Also, you can buy it in the US.
Old Oct 22nd, 2004, 04:33 AM

In my experience, the limoncellos in the fancifully shaped bottles are not the better ones. Nor do the duty-free shops carry the best limoncellos. And only a limited selection -- not always the best ones -- is imported to North America.

Since you will be spending time there, try a few limoncellos on the spot -- after dinner, etc. -- and decide which you like best. Buy two bottles and carry them home with you.

And insist, of course, on limoncellos made with the Amalfi lemons; they are the only genuine ones and by far the best.

For what it's worth, my personal favorite is Valle dei Mulini; it is made in Amalfi itself.
Old Oct 22nd, 2004, 07:43 AM

There are actually two types of limoncello--clear and crema. One could be "his" and one could be "hers."

Don't bother shipping...just carry it home.
Old Oct 22nd, 2004, 08:27 AM

I do love limoncello and have it almost daily on my sherbert for dessert. I agree that the best is made in Amalfi, but I read recently that it actually started in Sicily. I guess I will try the Sicilian version nexy May.
Old Oct 22nd, 2004, 08:51 AM

I only had one limoncello in Sicily. It was made and bottled at the agriturismo I stayed at near Siracusa and offered every evening after dinner.
It was lighter (less alcoholic) and more delicate in flavour than the Amalfi Coast limoncellos.
Old Oct 22nd, 2004, 10:27 AM

There are places EVERYWHERE to buy limoncello along the Amalfi Coast. There are not "his and hers" versions, however, there are plenty of different shaped bottles that you could pick out a masculine type (I brought my brother back a bottle of limoncello shaped in a glass guitar bottle shape, and my friend a curvy, hour-glass shape with pink colored crema di limone/limoncello).

In Sorrento all up and down the streets off Piazzo Tasso there are shop after shop of limoncello bottles and souvenir-ware. In Amalfi, I bought several different colored bottles of limoncello at 'Antichi Sapori d'Amalfi' in Piazza Duomo, 39 - adjacent to the Duomo (the R if facing the Duomo). They were on sale for 2 euros a bottle (last month). In Positano and Ravello, I noticed more shops selling ceramic ware, vs. limoncello, but it sure can be found all around. IMO, I would pick it up in Sorrento where I found the best prices because so many shops were selling it there.
Old Oct 22nd, 2004, 12:51 PM
Melissajoy

There's a small and friendly family-run limoncello factory/store in Positano. Darn, can't find the brochure, but it was right on the main road as you're driving through Positano on your way back towards Sorrento. They gave us free samples of various flavors and we brought some home as souveneirs and gifts.

Old Oct 22nd, 2004, 12:54 PM
Melissajoy

One more thing about that small limoncello factory/store in Positano...they can show you how they make the limoncello there. They have the machinery. We were taken there by our driver, Giovanni Benvenuto. (www.benvenutolimos.com) He would be able to tell you exactly where it is if you write to him. He took us on a nice full-day excursion to Sorrento/Positano/Amalfi/Ravello.