Italian Trains- Ist Class vs 2nd Class

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16th, 2005, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be traveling from Rome to Milan in July. Is there an appreciable difference between 1st class and 2nd class on the Italian trains. Is safety an issue-- I am a woman traveling with two teenage boys.

Thank you-
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 03:51 PM

Please see my reply on the other thread:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34568611

In an ES train in second class, you and the two teenage boys would be perfectly safe.
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 04:06 PM

We spent 5 weeks during the summer of 2003 traveling with college students ( my husband was teaching them) as well as our two children (ages 7 and 11 at the time) in second class througout Italy. I never felt that safety was an issue but the trains could be very crowded and hot (heat wave that summer). We ended up standing on several trains for 2 hours or so. We were not able to reserve seats due to the nature of our travel (not much notice) but I would suggest reserving seats in second. We traveled first class one time ( from Chiusi to Florence) and it was like another world! Big seats, lots of room for luggage etc. So if you can afford it I would go first class just for the ease (especially with kids). It reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where Jerry gets bumped up to first class and has a great time and Elaine is in a full coach section. It is a whole other world.
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 04:10 PM

A seat reservation is obligatory on an ES train, and when you buy your ticket, the seat reservation is included in the price.

The situation described by Guigs occurs chiefly on the regional and interregional trains for which most people do not make reservations.
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 04:15 PM
Original Poster

We plan to leave Rome early in the morning, take a 8:00 am train to Milan to catch a 4:00 fight home. Is there any chance of a delay? Would you stay in Milan the evening before just to make sure you get there in time to catch the 4:00 flight?
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 04:23 PM

I think you might be cutting it too fine. There is an ES that leaves Roma Termini at 8:30 and arrives at Milano Centrale at 13:00. (There is also one that leaves Rome at 7:30 and arrives in Milan at 12:00 noon.)

You really should check in at least 2 and preferably 2.5 hours ahead of your flight's departure.

I have never flown out of Milan, so I do not know how long it takes from downtown Milan to Malpensa, but I do know that Malpensa is quite far from the center.

My suggestion, to be on the safe side, would probably be to take an ES the day before that gets you into Milan in time to check in at your hotel and have a last Italian dinner in Milan.
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 04:27 PM
Original Poster

Probably a good idea- thanks!
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 06:26 PM

If you go to http://www.seat61.com/Italy.htm, then to Italy, you will find picture of a modern second class saloon car of Eurostar Italia under London to Ancona, Bari and Brindisi, and of an old style second class compartment, well maintained, under London to Sicily. So long as you have your seat reserved I see no call to book first class seats in Italy.

The reference library of a city near you may have the Thomas Cook European Timetable. This shows that a train with second class two-berth sleepers leaves Rome Tiburtina at 2313 and reaches Milan Central at 0715. You can board from 2255. You save a night s hotel bill, but pay a sleeper supplement of about 60 euros a head. You have your last Italian dinner in Rome, and a relaxed morning in Milan. There is a note on getting the best from sleepers and couchettes at http://www.geocities.com/rexbickers/...ghttrains.htm/.

[email protected]

Old Feb 16th, 2005, 06:37 PM

AnnieGoo, in spite of other info you have been given I would get to Milan the day before your flight out of Milpensa leaves for home. Italy can have train stikes, trains can and do run late etc. If you do not make it to Milpensa on time you could be out of a lot of money. To me that is not worth the stress etc.