Italian / French Riviera in May

Old Mar 5th, 2018, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

Italian / French Riviera in May

Hi there,

We're traveling through France in May (Paris, Auray, Strasbourg) with my boyfriend's family, before breaking off for 8 nights on our own (May 25 - June 2). We end with family in Strasbourg and are looking at either the French or Italian Riviera and I'd like some recommendations. Initially, we thought we'd head to Cinque Terre but heeding some of the advice we've heard, we're now considering other seaside locations.

More about us - we're in our late 20s / early 30s and enjoy traveling at a slower pace, especially since the first half of our trip will have been very active. We're interested in Italian or French charm, reading a good book at a cafe, strolling and taking in beautiful views, eating at scenic restaurants, drinking great wine on a terrace and enjoying some history. We want to stay out of the hustle and bustle of a city like Nice and wouldn't mind something sleepier, but want to ensure there's still enough going on. For some reason, the Italian Riviera is more appealing to me but I'm open to a charming town in France. We wouldn't mind staying all 8 nights in the same location, but could also split it if you have multiple recommendations.

Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 5th, 2018, 08:17 AM

French Riviera for sure IMO for diversity of things to see besides a string of similar seaside resorts - but Nice area is so nice - ancient old towns like Antibes would make a great lower-key base than Nice (but do visit Nice for so many neat yes nice things) - chose a base like Antibes or smaller towns and use trains and buses to go all over - no car needed here. For lots on trains check www.ricksteves.com; BETS-European Rail Experts and www.seat61.com.

A car would be fine too at that time of year with relatively little traffic compared to summer.
Old Mar 5th, 2018, 08:19 AM

Google Menton Fr and Camogli It and see if one of those calls out.