Bordighera and San Remo

Feb 24th, 2005, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

Bordighera and San Remo

Hi Everyone, I will be staying in Menton in March and plan to visit Bordighera and San Remo. Any suggestions for shopping and restaurants? Also, I would be interested in any ideas you may have for other small towns alons the Italian coast that I could visit that would be a day trip from Menton.
Feb 28th, 2005, 02:44 AM

Nicoise - Other towns to visit? Iīd recommend ALASSIO.

Finale Ligure and nearby Noli are also very attractive - but this would be a longer trip.

Albenga isnīt a beach resort but has a very interesting historical centre.

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Feb 28th, 2005, 07:20 AM

When you cross the border you will see a contrast--not for the better. I am not sure why you would go that direction with so much to see on the French side. Menton used to be in Italy--does that count.
Feb 28th, 2005, 08:52 AM

I agree with Bobthenavigator. Unless you also have allotted time to roam the French Riviera I wouldn't head east across the border. If you just want to say you went to Italy, go have lunch in Ventimiglia and turn around.
Feb 28th, 2005, 09:28 AM

I, too, agree with Bobthenavigator and St. Cirq. The eastern part of the Italian Riviera is very scenic and makes a wonderful vacation area. The western part is just not worth a lot of time IMO. We spent 6 nights in Menton in November two years ago and went only to the Hanbury gardens (ok, but not great) on the border and through Ventimiglia enroute to Saorge and Tende in the interior. The rest of our time was in France and with good reason. The French Riviera and Menton itself are far better than the areas of the western Italian Riviera. sorry, wish I could say differently but I just can't. On another trip I stayed in Bordighera and we never could figure out what there might be of interest there.
Feb 28th, 2005, 11:57 AM

We had lunch in Bordighera on a day trip from Nice on a beautiful October day, 1998.

Lunch was served on a terrace over the water and we watched the fishermen on the rocks, as well as children throwing sticks into the water for the dogs to retrieve.

I remember everything about the restaurant except the name! I can't locate my notes right now either. I know I had a plateful of little fried fish (anchovies?) that were good.

Byrd

Mar 1st, 2005, 12:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I think we will stick to the French Riviera and MAYBE just go to Bordighera for lunch one day. The market in Ventimiglia? You can have it. Been there, done that and it's a terrible waste of time in my opinion.
Mar 1st, 2005, 03:55 AM

Well - Bordighera wouldn't be on my list for a lunch trip (... or anything else). Very overrated IMO - I found it a big disappointment.

Alassio or San Remo would make a much better lunch trip. Actually you could combine the 2 and make a nice day of it.

Steve