Italian Electricity

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 02:53 AM
Chris

Italian Electricity

I want to bring a small travel iron to Italy with me. I looked at the travel catalogs for the type plug I need but got so confused. Do I just need the little adaptor plug or do I need the whole voltage convertor box that plugs into the wall? Or both? I'm not sure what the difference is. Can you help?

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 02:59 AM
Denise

I'm not an expert on this because I've never done it but my understanding is that if the iron is dual voltage (it should say on the iron, on the box, on the directions) then you only need the adapter plug which for italy is 2 round prongs. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 04:18 AM
deb

Denise, you're correct. As long as your iron is dual voltage (don't forget to switch it to 120V) all you need is the 2 prong adapter. After lugging my heavy converter with me on 3 previous trips, I finally got smart and reasearched here to learn I didn't need it.

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 04:32 AM
Sparky

Denise is right--if an electric appliance is dual voltage, you do not use a CONVERTER, but you will need the plug ADAPTER. I'm sure Deb meant to say that 120 volts is for US, and 240 volts is for Europe

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 04:32 AM
elaine

Chris,just another way of saying the above:<BR><BR>The convertor actually transforms the local electricity to something your appliance can handle. Heat-making, high voltage applicances like irons and hair dryers and curling irons often don't work all that well on converted electricity anyway. A "travel iron" ought to have dual-voltage capability so as to eliminate the need for the converter. How well it will actually work will depend. In many hotels you can borrow their iron--you might want to ask.<BR><BR>However, you still need a plug adapter so that the plug end of the cord (or of the transformer, or whatever) will actually fit into the local wall outlet.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 08:16 AM
roco

Chris,<BR><BR>Look for a can of wrinkle remover --- you spray and smooth out with your hands, let dry and voila! Downy makes a spray bottle, too large to go, but you could transfer it into a smaller travel bottle. <BR><BR>There are several brands, so look in your very best hardware or drugstore.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 09:47 AM
Jason

The european voltage is 220 volts, 50 Hz. Their receptacles accept round pronged plugs. So if you have an appliance that can work on 220 volts make sure its plug (or a purchased adaptor) has the round prongs. Plus we found that there are two different diameter prongs, but our hotel loaned us an adapter to fit the receptacle.