Italian drive times-Siena to Positano

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27th, 2003, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Despite the warnings of many on this board, we will have a car and be driving from Siena to Positano. Has anyone done this before? Does anyone know how long it will take?
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 08:30 AM

Get as detailed a map of the areas as you can find. We used Michelin's maps for Tuscany and another for the area that included the Amalfi Coast. We totally enjoyed driving in Italy, and the highway systems are pretty quick and easy to negotiate if you need to cover a lot of distance in a short period of time. We had the luxury of being able to go from Monteriggioni to the AC with stops in Orvieto, then picking someone up at the Rome Airport and making the long drive to the coast. (Actually we stopped again South of Rome because we didn't want to push our friend's jetlag too far on the first day, so our trip was more of an amble). I'm guessing that using the highways as much as possible it could take you a good 10 hours? There is a site I used in planning our trips, but I'm not at home with my notes so I can't tell you until later tonight, which gave estimated driving times AND estimated toll charges (you pay tolls often on the highways).
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks busted. If you could forward that website later that would be [email protected]. I've checked out the driving directions on mapquest and Michelin -- Michelin's are better than mapquest but I wonder about its accuracy. I've had bad luck with on-line driving directions in the past.
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 11:47 AM

My husband and I drove from Arezzo to Salerno in June and it took 5.5 hours. We stopped twice for gas/water. Easy drive all the way down. You'll get off the autostada before we did and driving will be slower from that point on.
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 11:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Parker, that's about how long we eyeballed it to be on the map. The other post made me nervous with the 10 hr. approximation!!!
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 11:58 AM

We used the michelin websites directions quite a bit this summer and found them pretty accurate. That said, we also invested in some great maps as well and used both.
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 12:18 PM

Hi swalter
We drove from Chiusi to Positano, took 4.5 hours. We used www.viamichelin.com and Michelin maps. Very easy drive. You will run into traffic after you get off the Autostrada and all the way to Positano.