Istanbul to Athens

Old Jul 17th, 2001, 06:30 PM
Samuel

Istanbul to Athens

I will be gogin from Istanbul to Athens in August. A wet blanket coz all flights aer full.

Anyone got any idea as to what alternative I have to get from istanbul to athens? Maybe train or bus or by sea ?

Old Jul 17th, 2001, 07:13 PM
lottie

As I understand it, going from Turkey to Greece by anything other than air is a two-step process. You first need to take a ferry from Turkey to one of the Greek islands close to the coast of Turkey, and then fly or ferry from that island to Athens. Here's a website that describes the process in detail:
http://www.dis.uu.se/~pierref/travel...e.html#borders

Train/bus is REALLY long, and I'm not sure what effect the ongoing conflict in the Balkans has had on this mode of travel.

Old Jul 17th, 2001, 07:59 PM
Anna

My husband and I took a ferry from Kusadasi, Turkey to Samos, Greece. It took about 2 hours, we spent one night in Samos before flying to Athens. The cost of the flight was about $60, I'm not sure what the ferry cost.

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 01:02 PM
Bill Barr

Samuel

An Athens Fodorite (I think it was Panos) posted an address a few months ago of a bus service operating daily (except Sunday) between Athens and Istanbul. Hopefully the bus company's licence allows them to return from Istanbul to Athens with passengers!

If you are interested the address is:-

http://www.ose.gr/eng/buses1.htm#timetables

Bill

Old Jul 26th, 2001, 09:02 AM
david

We just returned. Fly Istanbul to Izmir ($80, 45 minutes), taxi Izmir to Kusadasi ($30, 45 minutes), ferry Kusadasi to Samos ($30, 2 hours), fly Samos to Athens ($60, 45 minutes). Kusadasi is definitely worth a stop for the ruins at Ephesus and other nearby sites.

Old Jul 29th, 2001, 11:55 PM
Samuel

tks people.

Anyway i manage to get an airticket. Cost me about US$220 each.

U guys r great!!!

Old Nov 3rd, 2002, 08:51 AM
xxx

Topping for Marko