Reload this Page >

Should I Go To Berlin?

Search

Should I Go To Berlin?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 01:17 PM
Traveler

Should I Go To Berlin?

My husband is traveling to Berlin on business at the end of November. I am considering joining him. I don't know anything about Berlin and none of my friends have travelled there. Can you please help me with information?<BR><BR>What did you like/dislike about Berlin?<BR>Would you go again?<BR>Hightlights to See/What not to miss<BR>Restaurants<BR>Is November too dreary to visit?<BR><BR>Thank you.

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 01:26 PM
Patrick

I often like to visit new cities for three days. We went to Berlin two years ago and booked for 5 days -- it wasn't enough (by comparison, I could have left Florence after two days, 3 days was too long for me). I've just booked to return next summer for 5 more days.<BR><BR>Favorite Things:<BR>Posdam and the castles there are great.<BR>Everything dealing with the wall -- the remaining bits of it, Checkpoint Charlie museum, etc.<BR>The striking architecture of old against new, sometimes combined in interesting ways.<BR>Strolling down the K'dam.<BR>The interesting museums and sites about the history of the Jews in Berlin.<BR><BR>I've only been there in summer, but Berlin should be exciting any time.

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 01:40 PM
topper

topping

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 01:46 PM
topper

topping

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 02:21 PM
CharlieB

I have been visiting my favorite European city about every 3-4 years since 1980 - it is fascinating to see its gradual rebirth -- the reconstructed Reichstag, the reconstructed Brandenberg Gate, etc. Potsdam and &quot;San Souci&quot; is a delight - though not as grandious as Versailles it is quite exquisite, though I doubt the gardens and terraces will be as spectacular in November as they are in the Spring. My personal favorite is the Museum Island, paricularly the Pergammon Museum. I have not been able to view the new Jewish Museum, but I hear it is definitely worth visiting. My only criticism is that it is too spread out - but excellent public transportation diminishes that minor problem. ENJOY!

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 02:55 PM
natasha

Hello Traveler,<BR>I would recommend going to Berlin. It was not one of my most favourite places, but the remains of the wall and Checkpoint Charlie were extremely memorable for me. At Checkpoint Charlie I really got a sense of the desperation of the people living in East Berlin. You might also be able to go and visit a concentration camp.<BR>There were a lot of things I did not like about Berlin. Since almost everything was destroyed in the war the city is very modern. It is also pretty big. Personally I like cities that are smaller and more quaint. <BR>I went in January (for business). The temperature wasn't very low, but with the humidity it seemed really cold. We went to visit Potsdam, but it was so cold we really didn't want to spend all day walking around in the gardens.<BR>The city also didn't seem very friendly compared to the Rhein area of Germany, but I think it is because the city does not revolve around tourism, so people don't go out of their way to be friendly. <BR>Anyway, in spite of all of those things I would definitely recommend going once.

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 03:35 PM
Linda

Berlin is one of my favorite cities: it is the history of the 20th century; the culture, the friendly people, the food...<BR>Checkpoint Charlie Museum was special, Info Box near the remaining wall, Kurfurstendamstrasse, Unter Der Linden, KaDeWe Department Store, Olympic Stadium (Jesse Owens fame), Templehof Airfield (Berlin Airlift), old Jewish area, Radio Tower (don't know if that is the right name), Potsdam, 2-hour train trip to Dresden, museum island and Pergamon Museum with entire ancient ruin, symphony, opera, theater, art. That doesn't include the night life which is fun as well. I was in Berlin in November and it was cold but not uncomfortably so.

Old Nov 2nd, 2002, 08:19 AM
Michael

A very nice Berlin type bistro is Weltrestaurant, Markthalle, P&uuml;cklerstra&szlig;e 34, 10997 Berlin. Tel. 030/617 55 02. The food was good, there was a varied choice of wines and beer, they spoke some English and the atmosphere was neighborly.

Old Nov 2nd, 2002, 08:47 AM
Ben Haines

I like Berlin s vigorous cultural and intellectual life, and the easy access to it through the Thursday issue of Berliner Zeitung magazine and (less convenient) <BR>TIPS magazine.<BR><BR>I go every year or so<BR><BR>What to see depends on you: tastes differ. I like the art nouveau museum <BR>opposite the gates of Charlottenburg, and the museum at Checkpoint Charlie. Linda has sent a good list.<BR><BR>I eat all over, but look for German cooking. For afternoon coffee and cake I pick the caf&eacute; Mohring near the National Theatre concert hall<BR><BR>No time is too dreary to visit.<BR><BR>Ben Haines, London<BR><BR>

Old Nov 2nd, 2002, 08:55 AM
Marilyn

The Pergamon Museum alone is worth going to Berlin to see. Besides that it is an interesting, vibrant city.<BR><BR>I have been there several times in early February and it has been BITTER cold, so be prepared for it. For some reason, despite lined leather boots, my feet were the coldest part of me. If I went again in winter I might invest in something like cashmere socks.

Old Nov 2nd, 2002, 09:06 AM
Don

Don't take this the wrong way as I'm only inquiring. Are the people in <BR>Berlin pretty open to minorities? I've read in Frommer's that there had been some hate crimes now and then.

Old Nov 2nd, 2002, 11:57 AM
Go

By all means - go, it's an amazing city.<BR>The Jewish museum is very interesting, from the building itself to the exhibits (you would NEVER think how much German comes from Yiddish). <BR>The Pergamon museum is due for renovation soon, and due to the fact that the city is bankrupt, it will remain closed for 6-8 years, so go while you can (you'd figure they'd hurry it up since it is so important??). <BR>In terms of minorities - MANY MANY foreigners live in Berlin, nevertheless you should not venture alone into east east Berlin at night. Just stay west of Lichtenberg station, and you should be fine.<BR>Weatherwise - yeah, you might be in for gray, depressing, rainy short days.

Old Nov 2nd, 2002, 12:01 PM
CharlieB

Berlin is a cosmopolitan world capital and I am sure that Berliners are as open to minorities as are people in other European capitals. Racial incidents in Germany get much more media coverage because of the specter of &quot;neo-nazi&quot; connotations.

Old Nov 2nd, 2002, 08:49 PM
Don

Thanks for the helpful insight.

Old Nov 3rd, 2002, 01:46 AM
alice

hi traveller, I can also recommend to visit berlin, it´s just an impressing city and you can do and see so many things,there are so many museums, and especially at that time of year, it would be nice to be inside.<BR>For going out you should try the area around the alexander platz, which is in the former east town, there you find a lot of nice bars, restaurants and so on.<BR><BR>wish you a nice stay

Old Nov 3rd, 2002, 07:52 AM
fairoaksjim