Istanbul Sites Closing Times

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2008, 09:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am getting contradicting info on the internet about which days things are closed in Istanbul. We will be in Istanbul on a Monday and Tuesday and I wanted to plan out which days we would see what since it seems a lot of sites are closed on those days. Where can I get accurate info about hours.

Specifically interested in: Blue Mosque, Ayasofya and Topkapi Palace and Dolmabahçe Palace.
Old Mar 25th, 2008, 10:26 AM

Dear Luvtravelin,

Don't worry. You won't be missing anything. Turkish Ministry of Culture has organised museum days/hours according to your stay in Istanbul. )

Blue Mosque: Open everyday (except praying hours)It means it is closed for visitors between 12.00-13.00 hours for noon prayer and 16.00-17.00 hours for afternoon prayer. Best time to visit the Blue Mosque is between 9.30-11.00 to see the reflections of the sunshine on the some 220 stained glass windows.

St. Sophia: Closed on Mondays. Visiting Hours: 9.30-16.30 Which means that you can visit Topkapi Palce and Chora Museum on Monday.

Topkapi Palace: Closed on Tuesdays, which means that you will be visiting St. Sophia on Tuesday.

Dolmabahçe Palace: Closed on Mondays and Thursdays.

In short, visit Blue Mosque and Topkapi Palace on Monday.
I would also visit Basilica Cistern and Grand Bazaar on this day.

Visit St. Sophia, and Dolmabahçe Palace on Tuesday. I would also visit the Archaelogical Museum-just 300 metres from St. Sophia - before heading for Dolmabahçe. It is worth visiting just for seeing the world famous Alexander sarchophagus and beautiful Roman statues.

I hope this piece of information helps.
Old Mar 25th, 2008, 10:42 AM
Original Poster

Yes it does help - thank you. How about this for an itinerary:

Monday: Topkapi Palace 1/2 day (morning), Bosphorus Cruise (1:35pm), if time Spice Bazaar???

Tuesday: Blue Mosque, Ayasofia, Basilica Cistern, Dolmabahçe Palace, would we have time to do Istiklal Caddesi in the evening?

Which of the 3 bazaars can we squeeze into this itinerary and which day??
Old Mar 25th, 2008, 10:47 AM

Your schedule seems fine

Enjoy your stay in Istanbul
Old Mar 29th, 2008, 02:05 PM

anatoliancruiser-

will travel to turkey during ramadan pose any problems with closings, difficulty securing hotel rooms, too crowded etc? I was thinking of traveling the last 2 weeks of September or the last week September, 1st week of October. How is the weather during this timeframe? I understand mid October cooler with rain Thank you