Istanbul in February - more advice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15th, 2010, 04:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Planning the 60th birthday in Istanbul. I made a hotel reservation near Taksim Square for one week in February. I read up on the major sights we will visit. Now I'd like to hear about restaurants that would be cozy and unique for this winter week. Plus, any small museums or lesser-known sights. I would love to hear Turkish music. Thanks for any ideas.
Old Dec 15th, 2010, 06:01 PM

I realized that some people generally miss Basilica Cistern
hmm, you can watch sunset from Galata tower, you will realize why they call Golden Horn..
look at that site to see more sightseeings.
http://www.istanbulcityhotels.com/istanbul_guide.aspx
Old Dec 16th, 2010, 12:19 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Here are some ideas:

Pera museum, tepebasi + IKSV (istanbul culture and and art foundation) and Borsa restaurant at its roof, Sishane. Close to each other. (Galata Tower is also close) $$$

Sabanci museum + Changa restaurant at Emirgan on the Bosphorus. (museum fee may be waved when you eat at Changa. Just say you are going up to the restaurant at entrance. $$$

Prokopi, Armenian bar and restaurant off Istiklal, down Mis Sokak on the right, close to Taksim. very cosy and reasonably priced with specialty menu items.

Zarifi restaurant, near saint Pulcherie french highschool, off istiklal on the left. late hours with turkish music. $$

Various Turku (turkish folk song) bars on side streets of istiklal.

doga Restaurant at Cihangir, roof of Villa Zurich. Excellent fish and Aegean greens. $$$ It is the season for turbot.

Small iskender kebap restaurant, Hacibey, at Nisantasi. Only one menu item. Excellent for simple and tasty lunch. Cheap.
A good area to window shop, sit at a cafe, people watch also. Visit Pasabahce glass factory store across the street from hacibey. Visit Arkaik jewellery office across the street, firt door from the corner, second floor of apartment building.
Excellent special design some reasonably priced silver or silver/gold combination items. Will have an exhibition this weekend. check web site.

For that special birthday dinner, i suggest Changa (either location, taksim or emirgan), Sunset or Ulus 29 in Ulus, or Mia Mensa on the Bosphorus, directly on the sea at Kurucesme.
Old Dec 18th, 2010, 06:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much. Your suggestions are so helpful otherchelebi.
I will take the list with me and look forward to the wonderful flavors and sights.
Old Dec 22nd, 2010, 08:59 PM

Just copied for our January trip -- what is the best way to get to Musee de Changa from Sultanahmet? Was going to wait until we were on the Bosporus but there's a show that comes down Jan 9th, so may need to go early ...
Old Dec 22nd, 2010, 11:31 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Jenskar2, if you are going for dinner, it will make sense to take a ferry from Eminonu to Emirgan. This will give you the chance to see quite a bit of the bosphorus although it will be dark in January. The lit up bridges and the Rumeli Fortress will be great from the sea.

there is only one scheduled boat. Leaves eminonu at 18:10 and arrives at Emirgan 18:55. The cost will be 2TL or less per token.

You will need to take a bus 22E or 25E to Kabatas or Taksim and then a tram for the way back or a taxi.
Old Jan 4th, 2011, 10:38 PM

I am in Istanbul now and am surprised at how very cold it is, so be sure to pack good warm waterproof walking boots, gloves, and a wArm but light knee length rain coat, maybe one with a zip out lining. Also a couple of lightweight wool or cashmere sweaters that you can layer if you , like me, about the same age, are either freezing or perspiring at any moment. also discovered a wonderful tip quite by accident. The first night we wnt out it was not raining, and my husband and I walked from our hotel to dinner. We were constantly nagged by shop owners and restAurants. Next day it was drizzling and I tied a big scarf babushka style on my head. it was like a miracle....everyone thought I was Turkish I guess. NOBODY bothered me. Same in the markets.
We went to a very good Sufi whirling dervish show, which I can recommend highly. They also have a Turkish dance program . The venue is called Hodjapasha Cultural center.
We also enjoyed a cosy restaurant called khoras
Old Jan 4th, 2011, 10:44 PM

Oops sorry, internet hiccuped. Restaurant khorasani, www.khorasanirestaurant.com. Right near Cisterns(don't miss) and aya Sophia in center of sultanhamet. Pm me if you would like a recommendation for a private guide.
Say MERHABA to everyone you meet ("Mirra bah")
Old Jan 5th, 2011, 06:06 PM
Original Poster

These are helpful tips.
I know it will be chilly - but we live in a northern climate so are familiar with cold weather.
We also don't mind cities in the rain and finding places to stop for warmth and a drink. We are hoping for al least one nice day to take a ferry on the Bosphorus.
I am trying to decide what outer garments to bring so the latest descriptions are helpful.
Thanks all.