Istanbul Hotels

Old Jan 8th, 2008, 06:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Istanbul Hotels

Anybody have any suggestions for nice hotels in Istanbul, preferably in or near the Sultanahmet area, that might be slightly less pricey than the Four Seasons?
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 06:55 AM

Empress Zoe and Sari Konak get very good reviews here. We stayed at The Seven Hills, just opposite The Four Seasons, but it had major plumbing issues while we were there, so I can't recommend it.
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 07:46 AM

Just returned. We stayed at Ottoman Hotel Imperial directly across from Hagia Sophia. It was fine except for shower stalls that you needed a stool to step up to get into--they furnished the stools so it was possible if you aren't at all mobility impaired. Also had low lights (just like I experienced at Seven Hills in 2006. Otherwise it was a fine hotel with nice staff, decent rooms,pretty decor and reasonable rates. It has a cute bar and a lovely outdoor patio which would make it very attractive in the summer. Son stayed there two nights and at Mavi Ev near Blue Mosque and a block or two away from Seven Hills. Prefered the latter. Thought Mavi Ev had larger rooms, a more welcoming lobby. I thought both were fine. I wasn't crazy about the metal bed furniture at Mavi Ev but son liked it. Location wonderful at any of these.
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 08:46 AM

Mavi Ev (the Blue House) is a good option. Well located across from the Blue Mosque and close to most tourist sights. It is just down the block from the Four Seasons and the Seven Hills. The Mavi Ev has a nice rooftop terrace (as does the Seven Hills) but we did not eat there. The food looked fine but I had read some very negative reviews so we usually ate elsewhere. It is nice for a drink at sunset. We had a glass of wine at the Four Seasons terrace one night and we ate dinner one night at the rooftop restaurant at the Seven Hills. Everything is very close. The Mavi Ev offers free computer and internet access in its lobby for those who care about such things. The hotel is clean but some of the rooms are not overly large-our boys' twin room seemed larger than ours and had a much better view. The breakfast is included and is reasonable.
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 09:09 AM

We stayed at the Hanedan which is in a fantastic location near the 4 seasons & Hagia Sophia.

Our review is here:

http://www.soultravelers3.com/blog/C...0D5245BD4.html

There are tons of nice and reasonably priced ones in that area. I picked that one because a friend stayed there and loved it . The terrace has spectacular views.

I hear the Apricot is nice too and good price.
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 10:23 AM

Yesil Ev, opposite the Four Seasons has the most tranquil fairy garden with trickle fountain.

Empress Zoe and Mavi Ev are close by.

I stayed at the Ritz Carlton on the Bosphorus.

Thingorjus
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 06:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions!