Hotels in Istanbul Sultanahmet

Old Sep 28th, 2006, 05:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotels in Istanbul Sultanahmet

I have checked out all the hotels on the posting about places in Istanbul, but the Empress Zoe and the Sari Konak refuse to accomodate 8 women (three mothers and 5 adult daughters ) for 4 days...they say we are a group and don't want groups...The Empress Zoe says 4 days is too short of a booking for 8 people....go figure...anyway, we are looking for a a place for May in the Sultanahmet that is charming with local flavor, a degree of elegance, nice rooms , a garden in which to relax, a terrace with view, and close to everything...The Zoe and Konak seemed to be what we were looking for...any other suggestions? I love that area. Has anyone had this trouble trying to book rooms with friends? Looking forward to some good suggestions...
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 05:52 AM

The Seven Hills is right across from Four Seasons and it looked quite nice; it gets good reports on Trip Advisor. why don't you split up your bookings so that they do not call you a "group?" Friends of mine who were with a medical convention stayed at Sultanahmet Palace so that place must take groups...I did not see it but they were happy enough.
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 06:34 AM

Hi

What a weird attitude they have!! We have recently returned from Turkey and stayed in Sultanahmet. We dropped in on the Sultanahmet Palace - http://www.sultanahmetpalace.com for a drink. I was quite impressed with it. I found it to be picturesque and had an authentic feel about it. Even though we were not guests I found the staff to be very polite and gladly let us have a drink in the restaurant. However it doesn't have a terrace although you have lovely views of the Bosphorous from the restaurant. The garden was nice too. A much smaller hotel which I checked out is the Hotel Alp Guesthouse - http://www.alpguesthouse.com. For €65 a double room this is great value for money. It has a lovely appointed terrace with panaromic views. The bedroom was nicely laid out too. If you're looking for somewhere inexpensive this place is a beauty. It doesn't have a garden though. I stayed across the road from the Alp and our hotel also had a roof terrace. The owner was agreeable about bringing alcohol up there and we spent many a lovely moment there. I'm sure the owner of the Alp will allow you to do the same. Both hotels are in an excellent location for sightseeing.

Good luck
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

we considered breaking up our bookings, but didn't want to deal with never appearing to be together...if we hire a guide, having to meet her/him down the street...dashing out one at at a time, etc....better to be welcomed than walking on egg shells
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 07:31 AM

I stayed at the Best Western which I think was called hotel Spectra. They do have a terrace where they served breakfast and used to have free internet. It was right in the center of things and it wasn't Ritz Carlton plush but was certainly nice enough. Have fun, Turkey is wonderful!
Old Oct 1st, 2006, 06:39 PM

try the uyan hotel, right next door to Seven Hills and the Ritz Carlton. It's less expensive than Seven Hills and has cute rooms, a gorgeous terrace and a really nice staff. Very centrally located in Sultanahmet.

www.uyanhotel.com
Old Oct 1st, 2006, 07:13 PM

I can understand Empress Zoe not wanting groups. Gay friends of mine own a luxury B/B and will not book groups because, in their words, "groups complain and compare." (i.e members of groups compare rooms and complain if another person/couple has a better room)

"Why do they have a queen bed and we have two singles? That is not fair!"

I suggest that you stay at the Four Seasons or toddle on over to Beyoglu/Taksim/Natanasi and stay at Kempinski Ciragan Palace or the Ritz-Carlton (that is where I stay).

Do not stay at Angel's Home.
Old Oct 1st, 2006, 07:18 PM

fishee, the Ritz-Carlton is not in Sultanahmet. Thingorjus will smack you with his Hermes belt.

Old Oct 1st, 2006, 07:21 PM

Ouch, the welt is already forming, thank god it says Hermes.
Old Oct 8th, 2006, 12:13 PM

We are just wondering why you say do not stay at angels home, mariela? As we are booked in there next week, and would like to know your reasons before it is too late to change our booking
Old Oct 8th, 2006, 01:41 PM

Check out Hotel Ambassador - I believe you can book online at http://www.hotelambassador.com/
I wanted to stay here but was unable to get a room for my dates so wound up in Taksim. I did visit this hotel, though, and the staff was gracious and helpful, even sent a fax for me without charge. It is very conveninetly located and I believe has the things you are seeking.
Old Oct 8th, 2006, 04:10 PM

if i posted that i have a couple of heterosexual friends who own a hotel and they don't allow groups, would anyone think it strange that i point out their sexual orientation since it has nothing to do with the issue? i'm just curious.
Old Oct 8th, 2006, 06:46 PM

Friends of mine, an older gay couple, stayed at Angel's Home and had this to say about it:

Noisy--the stairs are marble and not carpeted. You can hear people walking up and down day and night. This is why they didn't like the hotel. Too much noise. Children running up and down street/alley in front of the hotel yelling on Saturday morning.

Cats roam around the hotel. They are pets of the owner. Sometimes they "meow" out in the hallway at three in the morning.

The hotel rooms are decorated in a lurid red with heart-shaped pillows and gold angels. There is dust in the corners and the drapes need to be dry cleaned.

It is in a good location, however. The owners are very good at assisting you in your travels. They really liked the "younger" brother of the two- brother owners.
Old Oct 8th, 2006, 07:16 PM

18ds:

We favor the Hyatt Regency..especially if you can book a room with a view of the Bosporous..about five rooms on each floor, on the right hand side of the establishment (looking out to the Bosporous) have unobstructed view...the hotel is excellent in every way. It was about $150 three years ago..may have gone up a bit since.

Stu T.

Excellent Taksim location.
Old Oct 11th, 2006, 11:17 AM

I just returned from Istanbul where I stayed at the Hotel Nena in Sultanahmet. I really liked it. It is located on a side street and the windows were double paned so it was quiet. They provide pick up and delivery to the airport free of charge.The hotel is lovely and clean with a beautiful roof top restaurant/ terrace with fabulous panoramic views. Wonderful breakfast. Very good English speaking staff. Rooms are small but certainly adequate. There is also a garden room with a roof on the main floor of the hotel where you can relax and have tea. Free internet access too. You can book on line: www.istanbulhotelnena.com
We paid about $100 US a night for a twin room.
Old Oct 11th, 2006, 02:43 PM

Last May we stayed twice at the Celal Sultan in the Sultanahmet and liked it very much. It has an excellent location, a roof terrace with a view of Aga Sofia, offers a very nice breakfast and also offered (for a fee naturally) pick up at the Istanbul airport.

Both times we stayed in the "new side" and I think the advantage to that may have been very nice and up to date bathrooms. We found the staff to be friendly and helpful and we would definitely stay there again.

Although I don't think they cater to "groups" there certainly were groups of friends traveling together and I would not think you would have a problem. You will LOVE Istanbul!!!
Old Oct 11th, 2006, 05:13 PM

The Yesel Ev is a small hotel so might not be able to accommodate your group, but you could give them a try. It is a delightful hotel between the Hagia Sophia and the Blue Mosque. It has a lovely garden, nice rooms with brass beds and a very good restaurant.
We've stayed there several times and were always pleased. As in most hotels, the rooms are not all equal, but adequate.
Old Oct 13th, 2006, 09:17 AM
Original Poster

We have booked into the Celal Sultan...thanks so much for your recommendation..that helped....the views on their website look awesome and glad to hear first hand that it is as good as it looked on the site
Old Oct 15th, 2006, 12:21 PM

We just got back and stayed at a FABULOUS hotel- Hotel Sultanhan-in Sultanhanmet- go to web site www.hotelsultanhan.com
It is a small boutique hotel with 3 floors. The 4th floor is a great restaurant with breakfast buffet. THen over the restuarant is a terrace that you can see the views from all around. It is wonderful, the staff was absolutley outstanding. And we paid $129 per night for a double.
Old Oct 15th, 2006, 05:22 PM

Hi Pejota

The Sultanhan looks great. The rack rate is €200. You got it for €129. OK, I give up - what's your secret? You didn't have to belly dance did you quot;>

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information