Notices

Istanbul / Ephesus Ramadan 2020

Old Feb 6th, 2020, 05:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Istanbul / Ephesus Ramadan 2020

We will be on a cruise that stops at these places during Ramadan this spring. How will sightseeing be impacted? Will the major sights be open? We had hoped to go to a hamman in Ephesus - do these shut down in the daytime? I'm so excited to be going to these places but now wondering if I won't get to enjoy them and the activities I'm hoping for. We have seen most of the Istanbul sights - this time we had planned a short Bosphorus cruise. Thanks!
Old Feb 6th, 2020, 09:14 AM

Nothing is closed during Ramadan in Turkey. Some conservative restaurant owners may close up shop and others may not sell alcoholic beverages until sunset, and that is all.

I doubt that you can bathe at the original Roman hamams at Ephesus, but should be able to find one at Kusadasi

Arrange a private tour for a small group of up to four. Specify that you do not wish to visit a carpet shop or a leather shop or a jewelry shop, Do not eat at any large restaurant where tours are force fed.
check TA for good Selcuk and/or Kusadasi restaurants.
Old Feb 6th, 2020, 11:12 AM

The ancient city has been in ruins for centuries. Hardly any roofs left. Public baths are open air and so are the public toilets, dry as a bone unless it rains. A rather scruffy beach is a short walk away. The village of Selcuk is nearby and TripAdvisor says it's got a modern "hamani" being refurbished.