Reload this Page >

Istanbul to Ephesus

Search

Istanbul to Ephesus

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4th, 2000, 04:24 AM
Lin

Istanbul to Ephesus

My son is taking me on a trip to Istanbul. I am a first-time female traveler. I really want to see Ephesus (not in his plans). My son says he will arrange for me to come back alone if I decide on the extra days to see Ephesus. Can someone tell me what the best method of travel is from Istanbul to Ephesus and its approximate cost? Where to stay in Ephesus? How do I access the site alone, once I am there? I am not naive, but admit to being a little "green". Thanks!

Old Sep 4th, 2000, 05:37 AM
Dave

Lin, <BR> <BR>Unlike some ancient sites, the ruins at Ephesus (Efes) are not part of a more modern city. The nearest town is Selcuk (pronounced Sell-Chuke), about 3km away. Kusadasi, where the cruise ships stop to unload their hordes on Ephesus, is about 20km away. Izmir, Turkey's third largest city (the city formerly known as Smyrna), is roughly an hour away from Selcuk. <BR> <BR>Selcuk is fairly small (pop 25000 according to my LP guidebook), but there are a number of hotels, etc. (My all-time best accomodation bargain was in Selcuk - a clean new double room, en-suite, for $8US!) It's a nice little town, with some ruins of its own (St John's Basilica), an impressive-looking castle, and good views towards Ephesus. But beware of the mosquitoes as sunset approaches! <BR> <BR>I traveled by bus while in Turkey. Long-distance bus service is quite good - there are a number of reputable companies with clean, comfortable rides for competitive fares. A bus from Istanbul to Selcuk, via Izmir, will probably take about 9-10hrs and cost perhaps $30-50US. If you decide to travel by bus, I would suggest buying a package tour while in Istanbul. There are lots of tourist agents who can arrange this type of thing. <BR> <BR>Another option is to take the train. I believe this would either involve a significant detour through Ankara or a ferry across the Sea of Marmara. <BR> <BR>A third option is to fly. Izmir airport is well south of the city, so only about 30min from Selcuk. I'm sure there must be a bus, dolmus, or some other way to get directly from the airport to Selcuk, but I don't have the details. <BR> <BR>Once you're in Selcuk, you can take a taxi to the ruins at Epheses (maybe $5US). Try to get there early to avoid the crowds (and the heat). There are two entrances, so you can either walk through and back, or arrange to be dropped off at one gate and picked up at the other. Your hotel might offer free transportation, but be warned that it will probably include a stop at a local carpet or pottery shop. To do more than just walk through, you'll need at least a half-day. (It's perhaps 2 miles from one gate to the other, excluding all the side streets.) <BR> <BR>I would recommend that you either go to a library or bookstore and read through the Izmir and Ephesus sections of Lonely Planet's Turkey guidebook. This is what I used and I think the LP series is particularly good for transportation issues - much of what I wrote above is from my copy. <BR> <BR>Ephesus is an incredible place, and I'm sure you'll feel that it's worth seeing if you can arrange a visit. <BR> <BR>Dave <BR>

Old Sep 4th, 2000, 06:21 AM
Sandy

A friend and I went to Turkey independently a few years ago . . . we stayed in Istanbul for 5 days (2 days too long), then flew to Izmir (the bus then was about 19 hrs). We stayed a day or two in Izmir and then took a bus to Selcuk (easy). <BR> <BR>We were met at the bus stop by a lady who owned a great hotel (we too paid about $10 for a double w/full bath, spotlessly clean). We only planned to stay in Selcuk for 2 days and visit Ephesus but loved it so much we ended up staying 5. <BR> <BR>We took a taxi to the ruins (he dropped us a one gate, picked us up a the other, drove us around the area, and to Mary's home), he only charged us about $5. You can pick up a guide at the ruins if you want (we didn't and had no problems seeing everything). <BR> <BR>The people are incredibly friendly and helpful in Turkey, you won't have any trouble at all getting around and having a great time by yourself. Don't worry, just go, Turkey was the best place I've ever been and I've been almost everywhere. <BR> <BR>Sandy

Old Sep 6th, 2000, 04:10 AM
Dave

To the top for Lin.

Old Sep 6th, 2000, 04:32 AM
Lin

Dave: Thank you for not being critical and finding my message. I don't know why I couldn't "get it to the top".... or whatever. You made my day! Thanks again.