Ephesus to Istanbul, How?

Apr 2nd, 2002, 04:02 PM
Jerry

Ephesus to Istanbul, How?

In early May we plan Athens to Santorini to Samos to Kusadasi & Ephesus. We want to see Istanbul & Cappadoccia. The flight from Izara to Istanbul is 1,200,000 Lira or $89 ea. How is the drive time & traffic wise & cost?

Apr 2nd, 2002, 05:41 PM
Susan

Not sure what the current exchange rate is, but 1,200,000 lira is probably only about $1 USD.

Apr 2nd, 2002, 07:23 PM
johannm

Kusadasi to Istanbul, take the bus. Buses in Turkey are clean, modern and a good way to see the sites. Tourists are treated very well on the buses. The trip from Istanbul to Cappadoccia is very long, so flying is better.

Apr 3rd, 2002, 05:32 AM
Jerry

I stand corrected, try 120,000,000 TL. How long would the bus trip be to Istanbul?

Apr 4th, 2002, 02:38 AM
isa

A bus trip from Istanbul to Izmir lasts around 8 hours and cost 32 millions with Varan Bus network. From Istanbul to Kusadasi it lasts around 9 hours and costs 34 millions also with Varan.

You can check this at Varan website (they have an English version) :
www.varan.com.tr
Varan is one of the most expensive companies so it can be used as a upper scale benchmark.

Isabelle
http://davrazia.free.fr

Apr 4th, 2002, 06:17 AM
Jerry

Sounds like a long haul on a bus, How is the drive in a rental car? We are also looking for photo ops but do not want to get too adventurous.

Apr 4th, 2002, 09:13 AM
Paule

I just checked the shell website for approximate time and distance: from Selcuk (the town closest to Ephesus) to Istanbul is 344 miles and takes about 5 1/2 hours (Kusadasi is 357 miles). I don't know the scenic spots along the way.

Will you be renting a car for a few days around Ephesus? If not, the easiest way to get to Istanbul is flying from Izmir. The cost of a day rental and the time involved for the trip doesn't seem worth it to me if you're just renting a car to get from Ephesus to Istanbul.

As for driving information, a great website to check out is: http://www.shellgeostar.com

It gives distance and time and pretty good directions. It's very helpful for planning.

Apr 4th, 2002, 12:50 PM
Ariel

Jerry - I have done both - bus, drive & flying. If you have the $$, fly. The bus is very comfortable and if you take it go with Varan - they use two drives and have some of the safest buses and no smoking - don't cheap on the bus. However, the bus usually is an over night one, so few phto ops there.

The flight is quick, relatively inexpensive and while you don't have the phto ops in between, you aren't dead tired when you arrive. The price you are quoting sounds about right (same as we paid in US $ a few yrs back). Plus the planes are very good, sometimes there are delays and I don't find them good at explaining why (or apologizing for the delay). But the service on board Turkish Airlines is very good.

My husband & father-in-law drove us from Istanbul to Bodrum (further south than Ephes) - it was a very long drive. If you were only spending your holiday doing that part you could certainly consider driving, but it sounds like you are trying to pack A LOT into your trip, and I am afraid you won't have the time to enjoy the drive up and back down.

Apr 5th, 2002, 03:40 AM
isa

Jerry,

If you do not intend to stop in some places along the Egean coast and just want to go straight from Kusadasi/Izmir to Istanbul, I think it is not worth to rent a car : too long drive...

The bus is fine especially if you do it overnight (the only problem is that you will not see the landscape). Companies such as Varan or Ulusoy are top companies, non smoking, air conditionned and very confortable with service on-board.

If you have the budget for flying, you should not hesitate and fly from Izmir to Istanbul (see Turkish airlines website : www.thy.com)

Isabelle
http://davrazia.free.fr

Apr 5th, 2002, 06:46 AM
Jerry

Thanks, I will fly