Search

Ischia Island ferry/hydrofoil

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 12:54 PM
KGS
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ischia Island ferry/hydrofoil

Am concerned about the ferry/hydrofoil trip. Is it the kind of trip one might get seasick on? Is Ischia nice enough to justify the trip and expense to go back and forth sight seeing on the mainline. Thanks for any info you can provide. Karen
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 08:53 PM

Karen, yes if you are particularly susceptible, becoming seasick is a possibility. Although when we were there the seas were relatively calm my wife found the bumpy motion on the fast ferries quite unsettling. Yet she did not experience the same discomfort on the slower but much larger car/passenger ferry services.

We actually stayed on Procida and visited Ischia for a day trip. We took the around island public bus and found this was an inexpensive and effective way of gaining a general appreciation of the island. Be warned however that even in the off season (we were there in early November) the buses can be crowded. At the Ischia ferry terminal any number of taxi drivers come tour guides were keen to offer their services and the price was not that much greater than the combined bus fares of our party of 6.

If you enjoy relatively quiet and unspoilt areas and like watching the locals go about their fishing and other traditional daily activities, rather than being focussed almost exclusively on tourists - Procida might also appeal.
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 11:32 PM

Hi KGS, I have seen people very seasick on the hydrofoil between Naples and Capri. I do not get seasick but with so many passengers "heaving" one time I got quite quesy. That particular trip however was quite a bumpy and windy ride.

So imagine that the same situation would be true regarding the hydrofoil to Ischia. Fortunatly the trip is not an overly long one.

Old Mar 8th, 2005, 01:24 AM

As RonH says, if you're worried about seasickness, avoid the fast craft which can bounce up and down. Car ferries run from Ischia to both Pozzuoli and Napoli and are much bigger ships - because of the island's size a lot of cars and trucks go to and from the mainland. The Bay of Naples is an exposed stretch of water and the weather can change quickly.
Ischia is a very attractive island which attracts a lot of German visitors. If you plan to use it as a base for visiting the mainland, you need to consider what places you want to visit; you can do day trips to Pompei or the Amalfi coast, but these are much more easily visited from, say, Sorrento.
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 02:28 AM

I stayed on Ischia for a few days last trip before going to Procida and the Amalfi Coast,
I saw one child get seasick on the hydrofoil, due to rough waters.

Ischia does have it's German tourists- in fact, many of the Italians I met spoke Geman and Italian before they spoke English!
I stayed in a wonderful, almost deserted hotel outside of the timy town of Panza, which allowed me some peace from the more touristy towns. There is an exquisite Garden "La Mortella" in the middle of the Island that is a wonderful place to visit, and a thermal spa on the far end of the Island that is also worth visiting. There are other spas as well but the very best one IMO is at Punto S. Angelo. I was there writing an article, so I didn't concentrate as much on sightseeing-but I really liked the island. It's quite easy to get aropund by bus, they are no more crowded (actually less crowded) than Amalfi coast buses.
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 08:07 AM

I'm glad you asked this question, Karen, I was wondering about the hydrofoil myself.

Bellastar, what was the hotel you stayed at? Planning a few days in Ischia at the end of an Italy trip this May; three women, we want to be able to access some of the hot springs/thermal baths, but are trying to find a budget (2 star or less) place if that is possible...

Also, Bellastar and GeoffHamer, I've just read a little bit about Procida; can either of you tell me a little more about staying there? Does this island also have thermal springs? Thanks!