How to get to Capri in Oct.

Sep 2nd, 2016, 10:46 AM
Original Poster

How to get to Capri in Oct.

My husband and I are traveling from Rome to Salerno on October 19. We will explore the AC for most of the day before traveling to Capri for two nights.

So, being that we will be traveling from the AC to Capri on October 19th I didn't think we'd have a problem finding a ferry leaving from Amalfi that evening. However, I am looking up timetables now online (Capri.net) and only see one departure and it's mid-morning.

Will I have trouble finding a ferry to take us to our hotel on Capri on October 19th in the evening (anytime between 4:30 and 7pm)?

If so, does anyone have suggestions as to how we should travel there? Private boat transfer?

Thanks!
Sep 2nd, 2016, 02:43 PM

http://www.capri.net/en/ferry-schedu...malfi&to=capri

These are the only ferry times Amalfi to Capri.The last ferry is at 4.55pm.

A water taxi would cost 500 euro or more.
Sep 2nd, 2016, 02:45 PM

On re-reading your post I see you need to go from Salerno to Capri. You are correct in noting the only ferry is in the morning at 11.05 which goes via Amalfi.

The only other way you can get to Capri is train to Naples and take the ferry from there.
Sep 2nd, 2016, 03:25 PM

Or take the Amalfi Coast buses to Sorrento and ferry from there.

11 am ferry from Amalfi gets to Capri about 12:30 - so you have just 4 hours on the island - OK if just wanting to see the Blue Grotto - boats there right from the port (but grotto can always be closed due to high tides like the day I went from Sorrento to Capri)- but I enjoyed walking several miles around the island on neat little roads and paths and seeing the fort or whatever by the main port.

4 hours too rushed IMO
Sep 2nd, 2016, 05:31 PM

For more choices you need to leave from Sorrento or Naples. Amalfi never has very frequent ferries and in Oct probably even less. Also ferries don;t tend to run much after late afternoon, even in the summer.
Sep 3rd, 2016, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

So I should clarify a few things. We are coming from Rome via train and arrive in Salerno at 11:54AM (tickets already purchased).

We were HOPING to explore the coast for a few hours (mainly Amalfi) and then go to Capri late afternoon/evening where we will be staying for two nights.

Is this possible? I know the schedule on capri.net says there are many ferries, but when you go to actually purchase a ticket on Oct. 19, it shows that there is only one ferry (which would have left that morning).

Instead of actually exploring the AC should we just bus (almost immediately after arrival) towards Sorrento and catch the last ferry from there to Capri and let the bus ride be our "exploring"?

Or is there a company or individual we could hire in Amalfi to take us to Capri that evening?
Sep 3rd, 2016, 03:24 PM

Being late October the services will definitely drop away. The last ferry Sorrento to Capri is at 5.30.
The bus from Salerno goes as far as Amalfi and you have to change for another service to Sorrento. If you sit on the left you'll get good views but over the top of southbound traffic.
Sep 3rd, 2016, 05:20 PM

There is a Caremar ferry from Sorrento to Capri departing at 7:25p.

http://www.caremar.it/index.php/en/timetables

leahhauck1, you would have time to spend in Amalfi, but I think your only ferry chance is to go all the way to Sorrento. You'd have to be on the bus from Amalfi to Sorrento by about 4:30p. When you reach the Sorrento train station, take a taxi to the ferry dock.

http://www.positano.com/en/bus-sched...itano_sorrento

However, what were you planning to do with your luggage while you "explored"? And were you aware that ferries can be cancelled if the seas are rough? We haven't had this happen to us in late October, but it is a possibility.
Sep 5th, 2016, 06:07 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your help!

Jean,
thanks for those times. Before discovering the lack of ferries, we were going to leave our luggage at the Divina Costiera Travel Office (as Rick Steves suggests). We will only have a backpack and carry on each.

Even a quick visit to Amalfi would be fine so I will look into that bus schedule. Again though, by chance does anyone know if individual boats can be hired for transfer?

TIA
Sep 5th, 2016, 06:19 PM
Original Poster

Also, Jean (or anyone else with experience), is taking the 4:30 bus arriving in Sorrento at 19:10 with a ferry departure of 19:25 cutting it too close or is it fine?
Sep 6th, 2016, 06:14 PM

Cutting it way too close. You can easily get delays on the coast road if two buses or a bus and truck meet in a narrow spot and one of them has to back up to allow the other to pass. This can easily delay you 20 to 30 minutes or more. This is ITALY, you can't count on everything happening to the minute - esp on a road like this.
Sep 7th, 2016, 01:19 AM

The buses also stop at the train station which is a taxi trip away from the port. They are not walking distance from each other.