Is this realistically doable France and England

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18th, 2008, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am still trying to figure out this May trip. You all have helped a great deal. I'm now thinking...

Fly to Paris from Atl to arrive on May 22. Catch the train to Chartres to see the cathedral. Is there anywhere to leave the luggage while we visit the cathedral? Then take the train to Bayeux for 2-3 days to see the beaches and get over jetlag. We will rent a car in Bayeux...if possible after we've had a good nights sleep.

Monday the 25th go to England from?
Calais? Caen? See Canterbury on the way to...

Here's where it gets even trickier for me. We want to do Bath, the Cotswolds and Canterbery and end up with a few days in the city...Since they are in opposite directions...How do we get to Bath from Caterbury...best to train it? To where? Spend 2 nights in Bath since we would have gone to Canterbury. I am assuming we would not have much time in Bath. Leave the next day for the Cotswolds.My idea was to take the train to Bath and head to the
Cotswolds for 3 days. Where to stay? Undecided at this point.

Then head to London where we have an appt. near the waterloo Station for a few days.

By my counting

3 nights Bayeux including Chartres on the way to Bayeux
2 nights Bath including Canterbury on the way to Bath
3 nights Cotswolds from Bath
8 nights London.

Since we really only need 6 nights in London, we have some time to slow down and smell the roses....
we love London so having extra time there is not a problem.

HELP!!!!

Thanks in advance. With your plans my trip has already changed...for the better.

We have until the 6th or 7th of June. We certainly could spend an extra day in France.
Old Dec 18th, 2008, 09:00 AM

That's a pretty convoluted route. Since you can't get directly from Paris to Chartres to Bayeux (you have to go through town and change train stations for both legs), you might want to consider driving the entire itinerary, perhaps dropping off the car at Lille or Calais and taking the Eurostar to London.

Your England trip has the same limitation - trains to the west are served by different stations than those to the southeast, so plan on either crossing London or driving more than riding trains. Map your rail schedule here as a starting point:

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en
Old Dec 18th, 2008, 09:25 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I think you'll want to go back to the drawing board on this one. Canterbury is not on the way to Bath and Chartres is not on the way to Bayeux. Other than that it is a fine itinerary. Not really.

Chartres is an easy day trip (or even half day trip) from Paris. But CDG > Paris > Chartres > Paris > Bayeaux -- all on arrival day after an overnight, transatlantic flight is nearly impossible - but at least not practical.

And France > Canterbury > Bath is just as bad.

Canterbury is a VERY easy day trip from London so I'd do it during those 8 days.

You can fly to Bristol from Paris so maybe consider working that into your plans somehow.
Old Dec 18th, 2008, 09:27 AM

Why not get a ferry to Portsmouth from Caen or Cherbourg then a train to Bath and "do" Canterbury as a trip from London? That at least would sort out the England side of your trip.
Have a jet lag day before going to Chartres, rent a car and drive to the places you want to see in France. Leave it at Caen or Cherbourg depending on the ferry you get.
Old Dec 18th, 2008, 09:36 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I agree that it is best to get a car, probably in Paris, and leave it at the Eurotunnel. This will give you complete freedom in your itinerary and timing in France.
Old Dec 18th, 2008, 09:47 AM

There is a direct train from Portsmouth Harbour to Bath Spa station - it takes about 2 and half hours.
Old Dec 18th, 2008, 10:02 AM

Regarding Chartres, as Robes said, you'll need to go into Paris (Roissy bus 4 from CDG) to take the train to Chartres from Montparnasse station.

After you see the cathedral, I would stop in Chartres for the night, then pick up a car the next morning to head on to Bayeux. There's no direct train service from Chartres to Bayeux.

After Bayeux, beaches, Mont St. Michel(?)you could drop the car in Caen and ferry to Portsmouth--there should be a day ferry of about 4 1/2 hours. From Portsmouth you are in good striking distance of Bath and then on to the Cotswolds (using this route, Canterbury would not be on the way to Bath).

Two nights in Bath would be a good amount of time to see the Roman baths, assembly rooms and costume exhibit, the abbey, etc. You might not need or want two full days.

There are many small hotels and B&Bs in the Cotswolds in all price ranges--I liked The Lamb Inn and The Bay Tree in Burford but they've gone up quite a bit in price since I last stayed there. Book somewhere fairly early, the Cotswolds is a popular area, particularly on weekends. I hope someone posts some good B&B recommendations because I could use them as well!

You could further simplify things by doing Canterbury as a day trip while you're in London--it's about 90 minutes by train from Victoria Station, I believe.

Good luck and have fun.
Old Dec 18th, 2008, 10:26 AM

"There is a direct train from Portsmouth Harbour to Bath Spa"

There are actually trains from Portsmouth to Bath every hour. And they all go through Salisbury and Bradford on Avon (which isn't technically in the Cotswolds, but is a lot prettier than a fair few of the overrated towns round here that give themselves airs and graces). A rare cross-country route that's both faster by train (141 mins) than by car.

Unless you've got a thing about a shrine to the least deserving Englishman ever to be canonised (if the Papacy had had its druthers, they'd have canonised Henry II, not the drama queen whose death he took full responsibilty for), Salisbury cathedral's a million times prettier than Caterbury anyway.

I'd go Bayeux-Caen. Boat to Portsmouth. Train to Salisbury (possibly overnighting there), then on to Bath and the Cotswolds.

If you want to fly, Birmingham is handier for the Cotswolds than Bristol. And Heathrow's handier still.
Old Dec 18th, 2008, 10:30 AM

I agree about Salisbury. Much nicer place all together than Canterbury, which tends to be overrun by French school kids.
When I said there is a direct train I didn't mean only one train a day, I meant that there is a direct link between the two, and to me that would make more sense as a route than going Eurostar to London and then out to Bath.
Old Dec 18th, 2008, 10:35 AM

I'd go Bayeux-Caen. Boat to Portsmouth.>

No boats from Caen but from Oustreham, several miles away
Old Dec 18th, 2008, 10:36 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I only mentioned Bristol because it is near Bath. But it would not have been my first choice either.

The ferry to Portsmouth > Salisbury is a great idea. You will want to rent a different car once you are in the UK. If you are planning on using public transport instead, the Cotswolds are going to be the toughest part.

You still have to work out the CDG > Paris > Chartres and back bits. I am assuming (and I know that is never a good ides) that your flights and dates at the flat in London are already fixed. Right? if so, you'll have to work backwards from your arrival in London to figure out how to break up things. IMO you will have to spend at least one night in Paris and/or in Chartres before heading to Bayeux.
Old Dec 18th, 2008, 10:37 AM

And recently when i was looking at boats from Normandy to England i found the catamarans from Cherbourg much cheaper than the boats from Oustreham - 29 euros during the day. Cherbourg is a short train ride from Bayeux.
Old Dec 18th, 2008, 10:52 AM

I took Brittany Ferries from Caen to Portsmouth and they still list that route.

Is Oustreham the port for Caen? I honestly don't remember.
Old Dec 18th, 2008, 01:02 PM

If you <u>do</u> decide on CDG-&gt;Gare Montparnasse-&gt;Chartres by public transport, be advised that the bus is the <u>Air France</u> bus Ligne 4, not the <u>Roissy</u>bus as Cathinjoetown mis-typed above. Might not be a bad way to recoup from flying before getting behind the wheel of a car.

Be advised also that the ferry/train route to Salisbury will take many hours longer than the Eurostar from France to London, across town, and out to the west from Waterloo or Paddington.
Old Dec 18th, 2008, 01:19 PM

Nice of you to say I mistyped! I got the two confused.

About taking Eurostar, OP plans to end up in Bayeux. I'd prefer the ferry from Caen than coming back over to Calais to get Eurostar. You're pretty savvy (seriously) so I must be missing something.
Old Dec 18th, 2008, 02:06 PM

You're right. Caen to Southampton is less than 4 hours by high-speed ferry. I was thinking of the cruises, which take 6 or 7.

But teach should be aware that the number of trips is rather limited, possibly as few as four a day.
Old Dec 22nd, 2008, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

What if we pick up a car at the airport in Paris and drive to Chartre and spend the night. Does that make more sense?

We can then drive to Bayeuex and leave for England on the 26th. We can drive to Caen take the ferry to Portsmouth, the train to Salisbury and spend the night. We can then head to Bath on the 27th for night and rent a car there to see the Cotswolds for 2 nights.

What train ticket will be the best for 2 57 year olds while traveling that part on England? We will then rent a car for the Cotswolds and head back to London for a week's stay near Waterloo.

I like the idea of stopping in Salisbury for the night and skipping Canterbury altogether.

Old Dec 22nd, 2008, 12:05 PM

&quot;What train ticket will be the best for 2 57 year olds while traveling that part on England?&quot;

Go online (www.nationalrail.co.uk) and get the best set of advance purchase point to point tickets you can find (Portsmouth-Salisbury-Bath-London). There's no discount card*: there IS a pass some American company sells and PalQ (click on his name and look at any thread about UK trains) goes on about all the time, but it's pricey and I'm sure advance purchase will be cheaper.

* Before some clever dick tells you about the Network Card, it doeesn't cover journeys to Bath. And you're too young for the Old Fogeys' Card.
Old Dec 23rd, 2008, 08:13 AM

<i>What if we pick up a car at the airport in Paris and drive to Chartre and spend the night. Does that make more sense?</i>

That depends on what kind of shape you're in after the flight. If you're vulnerable to jet lag, getting off the plane and into a car might not be the safest choice. You'll be in an unfamiliar vehicle in an unfamiliar environment, and it will take all the wit you can muster to stay afloat.

I would recommend that you ride the Air France bus to Gare Montparnasse, and thence the train to Chartres. Pick up the car after a good night's rest.
Old Dec 24th, 2008, 06:57 AM

Hi,

If you are planning on driving to the ferry port ... don't think about Cherbourg ... it'll take a good 2 hours to drive up the peninsula.

As well as Caen ... look at Le Havre - Portsmouth ... LD Lines do that route ... they can be cheaper ... only 30 miles north of Caen. Search for LD Lines on web.

I'd also look at getting the overnight ferry ... get a cabin .... will save you a day - but without cabin, you will be knackered in morning!!

Mark

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -