is this possible?

Search

is this possible?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 2005, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is this possible?

My husband I(early 30's) are going to Italy in the end of April and begining of may. Total of 19 days. We have a wedding near rome the first leg of the trip. My husband has never been to italy and Its been at least 10 years for me.....so here is our itinerary...please let me know if this is
too much and if you have any suggestions for Capri hotels in the $200 to $250 range and Florence in the $150 to $200 range

Rome 3 nights
Nerola 1 night-wedding(Train to Seina)
Siena 5 nights(with day trips)rent a car?
Florence 2 nights(train to cinque terra)
Cinqueterre 1 night
Milan 1 night(train to venice)
Venice 2 nights(flight to Naples)Ferry Capri 2 nights
Rome 1 night (early flight next morning)

Old Jan 10th, 2005, 12:00 PM

Probably possible but much too frantic for me. I think I would eliminate Cinque Terre and Milan and go directly to Venice from Florence. I'd also be tempted to drop Capri and add a day each to Venice and Rome. You might be able to save a trip if you booked an open jaw flight. But if you want to see everything, you may see most of it from train windows.
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 12:18 PM
ira

I agree with mamc. You are doing a lot of packing and unpacking.

Siena is only an hour from Florence. You don't have to change hotels.
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 12:39 PM

Everyone should see St. Peter's in Rome at least once in their lifetime! I'd allow more time for Rome and skip Cinque Terre and Milan.
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 12:45 PM

I would also allow more time for Rome and skip the CT.

And I would settle into Siena or Florence and do a daytrip instead of packing and upacking. For me, it would be Florence as Siena is too quiet to keep my interest for more than a day.
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 12:57 PM

My fiance and I also went to Italy in May last year, and also started out with a wedding we were attending near Rome (in Assisi though) so I got some serious deja vu reading your post! However, we didn't spend any time in CT or Milan and I agree with everyone so far who suggests you skip those. I would skip those two, and add one night to Venice and one to Capri (that way, you'll have enough time to take a day trip from Capri to Positano or Amalfi or Sorrento, which shouldn't be missed).

Whatever you choose to do, however, you will have a wonderful time! Enjoy!

Amanda
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 12:59 PM

I agree with everyone else on skipping CT, Milan, & Capri. On the Florence & Siena thing, I would stay in Florence for a few days, they stay in the Tuscany countryside near Pienza & do Siena as a day trip (only 1 hr away). I think staying in a small quiet village, or in a place in the countryside would be a welcome relief from the Rome, Venice, Florence jaunt.

Stu Dudley
San Mateo (san Francisco), Ca
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

wow...thank you for the quick reply...my husband has his heart set on seeing Milan...i have tried to discourage it...but to no luck....On the other hand...Capri is my favorite place and I have always wanted to show the hubby.....so here is another question...is Cinque terra a day trip from florence option? then I could go directly to Milan and on to Venice.
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 02:27 PM

Ok - so far you are dismissed the suggestions made by most of the other seasoned travelers to slow down your trip and skip CT, Milan, and Capri.

Sure - go to CT on a day trip - I wouldn't.....

Stu Dudley
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 02:51 PM

If you want to go to the CT so you can tell everyone you've been there then a day trip is perfect. If you want to experience the CT, you need to spend a full day and a night at each end of that day so you can walk the path between the five villages. You decide your reason for going.

Capri is wonderful as part of a trip that is near the Amalfi Coast. Going there by plane and ferry from Venice and then back to Rome to be able to have one day there is silly in my humble opinion.
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 03:26 PM

>>> If you want to go to the CT so you can tell everyone you've been there<<

Also, note that the CT is about the same latitude as Camden Maine, it's north of Rodchester NY, north of Milwaukee, and about the same as Eugene Oregon. The Med gets a milder climate than the Great Lakes, but it still could be wet & somewhat cold there in late April. I agree with Patrick on the Capri trip too - a lot of travel for not much "being there". Spend more time in Tuscany - it is beautiful that time of year. More time in Venice too.

Stu Dudley
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

We are going back to Rome to fly out so I don't have an option...I already have the tickets...Since my flight is 8am I decided to stay the last night in Rome. You have all convinced me not to do CT so I will add to The tuscan countryside instead. As for Milan he wants to go...so I will have to concede to that.
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 10:10 AM

monica, by breaking up your stay in Rome, that last day/night there is really wasted just getting back to Rome for the flight. Since Capri is your favorite place, why not take the night from the Cinque Terre and add it to Capri and do that first:
3 nights Capri
1 night Nerola
Then do the longest travel to get it out of the way:
2 nights Venice
1 night Milan
2 nights Florence
5 nights Siena
4 nights Rome
(although I think I would take 1 night from Siena and add it to Venice!)
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 03:00 PM

I think it would be helpful to look at a map before deciding the order in which you visit places. You are flying into Rome so that is fixed. You can either leave Rome immediately and go on to Capri (which is south of Rome), and then head back to Nerola for the wedding, or stay in Rome for a couple of days, get the lay of the land, and decide what you want to see immediately and what you'll see when you come back. I personally wouldn't go to Capri, particularly not in early April when it is likely to be rainy, but if you really want to go there, it makes more sense to go there from Nerola and then head north to Florence or Siena.
I don't see why anyone would want to spend 5 nights in Siena and 2 nights in Florence. As Ira said, they are only a little over an hour apart. Stay in one and do day trips to the other. If you are going to rent to a car, you'd probably not want to stay in Florence. From Florence or Siena you can take a train to Venice. Venice is not my personal favorite, but I think most posters would advise you that if youa re going to go there, you'll want to stay more than two nights.
From Venice you can take a train to Milan. (It seems a waste for just one night)Finally, you can fly back to Rome (check into low cost airlines such as Meridiana, Alpieagles and Airone), stay a few days, and see some of the things you missed the first time around.
Here's my suggestion:
Day1-3 Rome
Day4 Nerola
Day5-6 Capri (if you must)
Day7-11 Florence or Siena
Day12-14 Venice
Day15 Milan
Day16-19 Rome