Is there storage for bags in Pompeii?

Nov 22nd, 2005, 03:11 PM
Original Poster

Is there storage for bags in Pompeii?

Hi
I will be travelling from Rome to Atrani and would like to stop off and see Pompeii and Climb Mt Vesuvius, however I will have my travel backpack with me. Does anyone know if there is somewhere to leave our packs.

Also is it recommended to see the Museo Archeologico Nazionale in Naples which houses most of the finds of Pompeii before seeing Pompeii?

Thanks
Nov 22nd, 2005, 05:00 PM

I don't think it matters if you do the museum before or after the ruins. But definitely do the museum; it was great. It would be a lot to do both in one day so I would do the museum one day and Pompeii another.
Nov 22nd, 2005, 07:01 PM

I don't think that you climb Mt. Vesuvius from Pompeii. I think you have to get off the train (commuter) at a different stop (nearer Naples I believe) and then take a bus part way up Vesuvius and then walk (climb) the rest of the way.

At the Pompeii station they let us leave our luggage in the train station (somewhat casually).
Nov 22nd, 2005, 07:04 PM

Hi

Yes there is bag storage - see http://www2.pompeiisites.org/databas...f!OpenDocument

Ciao
Nov 23rd, 2005, 12:37 AM

Try this thread for some info.
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34665492 Regards, Walter
Nov 23rd, 2005, 01:42 AM

There is a summer bus service from Pompeii up Vesuvius several times daily.

(It used to run from Ercolano but now runs from Pompeii).

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Nov 23rd, 2005, 01:46 PM

Steve, I have no 1st hand knowledge of the Mt. Vesuvius bus, mainly because I'm petrified of mountain roads with someone else driving. And if that someone is Italian it's multiplied .

I don't know about the bus service being seasonal, I had thought it was year round?

But are you sure about it only leaving from Pompeii?

That official City of Ercolano website in my directions used to list the departures from both Ercolano and Pompeii. But now only lists them from Ercolano.

Also a couple of official websites only list the departure from Ercolano. www.vesuviopark.it/grancono/index.asp
www.vesuviana.it/faq.htm (in Italian).

If you have any info/URLs about changes please post it, I like too keep my directions updated.
Thanks..Regards, Walter
Nov 24th, 2005, 12:08 AM
Original Poster

Walter your directions are excellent, thank you, I have printed them out and put them with my important papers

Worldinabag, thank you for letting me know that Pompeii has bag storage. I am now certainly going to do Mt V* and Pompeii in the one day on my way to the Amalfi. This will give me one extra full day on the coast without having to back track to Pompeii

I will definately do the Museum on the day I have to spend in Naples waiting for my flight to leave at 5pm.

The itinerary is certainly taking shape.
I plan to do Mt V* first, then catch a bus (thanks SJ - great if there is one) or a train to Pompeii.

Going from your instructions Walter, I'd say from Pompeii I would continue on the CV to Sorrento then catch a bus or ferry to Amalfi.

The great thing about this holiday is that the other half (who doesn't have the travel bug) knows nothing of the areas I am planning on taking him - so lots of surprises (especially the bus ride along the Amalfi).

Thanks everyone

Nov 26th, 2005, 01:21 AM

Hi Walter,

The info I have is from Vesuviana Mobilità (- the bus operator).
But you're right - it is a year-round service. Sorry, my mistake ...

Their main service is now from Pompeii, and their service from Ercolano is reduced to twice daily.

Here's the timetable:

POMPEII (Circumvesuviana Station) to Vesuvius 1000m

08.00 - 09.00* - 09.30 - 10.00 - 10.30 - 11.20 - 12.20 - 13.20 - 14.30 - 15.30*

* The 09.00 and 15.30 services are extra services which run 1 April - 30 Sept.

Tickets available from Pompeii Circumv. Station or from Sgambati newsagents at the station.
Fare: € 8.60 return

Crater access entrance fee: € 6.50

ERCOLANO - to Vesuvius 1000m

08.25 and 12.45

Hope this helps ...

Steve