Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is there no night train Venice to Nice anymore?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18th, 2009, 02:42 AM
ber
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not an expert at the Trenitalia timetable site- but I can't find a night train listed, Venice to Nice. I know there used to be one, so am I missing something? Looking for our family of 5, next April.
Anyone know ??
Old Oct 18th, 2009, 02:56 AM

I got the following message. That was what I thought. April 2010 is too far and the site is not ready for that. Try later when the timetable got loaded. Don't know when so try from time to time before 12.12.09

> You have selected a date after the end of the timetable period (14.12.08 - 12.12.09).
Old Oct 18th, 2009, 03:48 AM
ber
Original Poster

Thank you Kappa 1. When I tried, it gave me several day trains, but nothing leaving Venice after 11 am...however I will try later in case I am too early. Makes it hard to book accomm if not sure when leaving.
Old Oct 18th, 2009, 04:59 AM
GAC

I checked the current schedules. The best 2-train combination leaves Venice S. Lucia at 8:32 and arrives in Nice at 15:59, with a 15-minute connection at Milano Centrale. There do not appear to be any night trains available currently, not even out of Milano or Genova.
Old Oct 18th, 2009, 10:22 PM

Sadly, the sleeper train from Nice to Rome and Venice was withdrawn last year (2008), after over 100 years of existence.

Unlike other sleeper tran withdrawals, there's no high-speed alternative to this one, just a long (but scenic!) daytime journey. That's Italian rail management for you!
Old Oct 18th, 2009, 11:32 PM

>> Sadly, the sleeper train from Nice to Rome and Venice was withdrawn last year (2008), after over 100 years of existence.

Too bad. I remember taking the Nice to Rome sleeper train back in 2000. It was a long journey and still unforgettable.
Old Oct 19th, 2009, 01:16 AM

Hmmm, that brings back some nostalgic memories... I took the night train from Venice to Nice as an impoverished Inter-railer about 25 years ago. Without sufficient funds for accommodation in a hostel, the overnight trains were a good substitute, and for that reason usually full of scruffy student backbackers like me. I ended up sharing an ancient compartment with a Kiwi and a couple of yanks. We discussed the merits of American football and shared a bottle of cheap red wine as the train trundled through the night past Firenze and other places I've regrettfully failed to return to yet.

Eventually we fell asleep, only to be woken at 5am at some godforsaken pre-Schengen border post where we had to de-train, show our passports, then get onto another (presumably SNCF) train.

Still, the sight of a big red sun rising over the Med, as we sped along the Cote d'Azure and the promise of a new day checking out the French girls on the beaches of Nice, certainly made up for the discomfort!
Old Oct 19th, 2009, 02:41 AM

> Sadly, the sleeper train from Nice to Rome and Venice was withdrawn last year (2008), after over 100 years of existence.

Oh, ok if that's the case I'm sorry to hear that too. And to ber, I'm sorry I gave you a misleading info.

I have a different/similar case. I used to take a direct night train leaving Geneva for Venice. Now since 2 years or so it has been discontinued. Now you have to change at Bologana at 5h00 in the morning with a waiting time of 40 minutes. Who would want to do that?
Old Oct 19th, 2009, 05:09 AM
GAC

The truth of the matter is that long-distance train travel in Europe is dying with the increase in low-cost airlines. Why pay more for a night train (or a day train), when you can fly for less?

Remember what happened to the railroads in the U.S. and Canada? How many people still take the train between Chicago and New York? Or between Vancouver and Calgary?

In Italy, the railroads are currently investing in high-speed connections of five hours or less, at the expense of night trains and long-distance daylight trains. There are even reports that Trenitalia will some day eliminate ALL direct long-distance service between Sicily and mainland Italy. By contrast, look at the passenger statistics at regional European airports: they've doubled, tripled and even quadrupled over the past ten years. The reason: Ryanair, Easyjet, and other low cost carriers.

Travellers who love to take night trains should not wait too much longer to do so, as they are being reduced over time.
Old Oct 19th, 2009, 05:56 AM
ber
Original Poster

I am so sad to hear about the demise of the night train!! For me it would have meant one less night of accommodation , and most importantly 1 precious day saved rather than a family cooped up on a train for 8 hrs.
I may have to look at flying...sigh
Old Oct 19th, 2009, 06:06 AM

trenitalia withdrew the Venice-Nice overnight trains over a year ago as well as Rome to Nice i believe.