Is there flooding in Venice?

Old Mar 2nd, 2003, 09:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there flooding in Venice?

We will be visiting Venice March 12-14. Does anyone know if there is flooding right now? If so, how does it impact on sight-seeing, do we bring our wellingtons? Also, would a spring coat (rain coat) be warm enough?
Old Mar 3rd, 2003, 04:56 AM

Hi
The Aqua Alta season is about over, so flooding would be unlikely, though not impossible.
Many hotels keep a supply of boots for guests to borrow in case of emergency.
You may have wet weather just from rain--I'd bring some form of waterproof shoes or overshoes anyway. I always do.
Check forecasts before you go for temperatures. In general, in shoulder seasons I usually recommend a rain jacket or coat (bring the lining if it has one) plus a sweater or turtleneck or two to layer underneath if more warmth is needed. Sometimes dampness makes the weather feel colder.
Old Mar 3rd, 2003, 05:16 AM

Hi Hamster,
We will be in Venice March 14-17! I guess you will be just leaving as we get in.
I just got an email from our hotel in Venice - I had asked about the weather in March. And she said:
"The weather like is very nice in this period! It's not so cold and sunny!"
I'm taking things to layer and a nice black raincoat with a zip out lining. And then I'll hope I don't need it!
Have a great trip.
Old Mar 3rd, 2003, 05:26 AM

Funny, I will be in Venice 14-17 March too ! That will be my 3rd time and I'm not worried about Acqua Alta.

You can learn about Acqua Alta on the following page:
http://www.veniceword.com/weather.html

And the following is the forecast for Acqua Alta.
http://www.comune.venezia.it/maree/oggi.asp?F=nf_b

Old Mar 3rd, 2003, 06:58 AM

Hike,
Where are you staying? It's our 2nd time and I'll take Venice in any kind of weather ( I think!). Last year was our first time there, and I fell in love and we are going back to Italy because we just couldn't begin to see enough. And probably never will.
Thanks for the websites. by the way.
Old Mar 3rd, 2003, 07:45 AM

Hi Brahmama, I will be staying at Pensionne Accademia. I decided this trip 10 days ago and sent an e-mail to P.Accademia. Fortunately they had a room available for me. I stayed at this hotel last November and liked very much. This is one of the 3-star hotels people talk about quite often on this board when considering accomodation in Venice. I got to know this pensione from a different source but Fodorites are not wrong about this establishment. If you don't know the place yet you could take a look in your March visit for your yet another futur trip to Venice. Where will you be staying?
Old Mar 3rd, 2003, 08:37 AM

Hike,
Yes you have a very nice place to stay. I tried to get a room there last August and they were booked full. This time I kind of jumped at a special offer - and am staying at the Ambassador Tre Rose - it sounded ok, and we're watching our $$$ (as usual) - They are very nice to email me and I'm sure it will be ok. It's like the cruise ship people say - "You don't stay in your room" and we probably won't be there very much at all!
I'll be like Rex and post my email. I do miss not being able to email people - to save others from being hopelessly bored like this - when 2 people are talking.
Feel free to email me at:
[email protected]
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 06:28 PM

We were there last April and the Grand Palazzo was under water by midnite. It's very strange to see the water bubbling up from the sewer caps about dinner time. When you head back to your hotel from your restaurant the elevated walking platforms will be up and folks will be frantically photographing the new lake in the middle of the square!!!This happens about full moon and high tide week. Otherwise, always wear good walking shoes and bring a rain coat. The boat rides to the outer islands can be very cold and windy.
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 07:46 PM

Deloris,
I know this is a stupid question, BUT, I really want to know! In the Piazzo San Marco, when the water was up, was there still music? Do they have some sort of platforms for the bands? I have wondered what months the dueling orchestras played, and I think I read somewhere that they played year-round. But that can't be true. Is it???
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 08:46 PM

This was a stitch!!!! The shops around the square have arcades and next to these the many stages were set up all around the square. the center of the square was lower than the shops and basilica so it flooded earlier. the bands kept playing until their audience "went under"!!!! actually, the nights we were there, some bands hung in there until after 11 pm. AND THEY WERE GREAT!!!!!!!!! The singers were fabulous and the rising waters added to the drama and romance!!!Let's not forget the moon on all the water!!! In the morning all was back to normal but a bit messy!
This is Venice!
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 11:44 PM

> Let's not forget the moon on all the water!!!

You were lucky to be there! I loved the full moon over the Salute that I saw from the Accademia bridge at almost midnight.