Reload this Page >

Is the London Eye worth it?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31st, 2001, 12:44 AM
Amita

Hi, I was just wondering if there are still long lines these days for the London Eye, and if it is worth it to go. I am planning a trip for September. I've been to London a lot but I haven't been back in eight years, so I'm going to want to see some things that weren't there last time I was there, like the new Tate and the London Eye. The catch is that my traveling companion, who has never been to London, hates waiting on long lines. To be honest, the thought of being cooped up in a capsule for 1/2 hour with 25 people doesn't appeal to me that much either. So, are the views really worth the hassle? Thanks in advance.

Old Mar 31st, 2001, 02:15 AM
Anon

Amita: I never considered going on the Eye as I couldn't see it had much to offer. However, I did go earlier this month. I and a friend bought tickets (no queue) and were in a capsule with 6 other people within about 3 minutes. I know London well, but seeing everything for such a different angle was very interesting. I'd recommend it. <BR> <BR>If you want a photograph of you in capsule with London in background, you have to book it before getting into capsule.

Old Mar 31st, 2001, 02:23 AM
Kavey

Except the photos are staged in a shed before you get onto the eye and you stand on a spot on the floor infront of a screen with a picture of capsule and london on it... <BR> <BR>Better just take your camera up with you and snap away... <BR> <BR>And yes, it is worth it... <BR> <BR>Capsule with 25 is not at all crowded and has seating too, so you can move around and get great views on all sides... <BR> <BR>Been three times and will go again soon. <BR> <BR> <BR>Kavey

Old Apr 1st, 2001, 09:45 PM
Amita

Thanks for the responses! Sounds like fun after all. I think we will just go there and see what the lines are like before we get tickets.

Old Apr 6th, 2001, 07:49 PM
Sue

Visted London last September and rode the Eye. It was fantastic. We too heard horror stories about waiting and rides not available and the reality was it was a lot of hooey. If you're staying at a hotel, check with the Consierge(sp)who can arrange for a reservation. We arrived at the Eye at 9:30 a.m. got 4 tickets, no lines, and walked directly onto a capsule. It is so huge that you won't feel cramped or claustrophobic. I recommend the Eye to everyone visiting.

Old Apr 7th, 2001, 10:50 AM
Judy

Hi Amita, we were there in Feb. right after it opened after being "maintained". We did not preorder tkts. There was a huge line that Saturday, My husband HATES(that's putting it mildly) to wait in line so we did not do the EYE. But I really wanted too. Maybe next time......<BR>Judy

Old Apr 7th, 2001, 12:04 PM
Nancy

I think you can buy your tickets a day or two before you actually want to ride. Here is the website.<BR><BR>http://www.british-airways.com/londoneye/

Old Apr 9th, 2001, 12:21 AM
Sjoerd

I was there last Friday. Waited two minutes to get tickets for immediate departure. The ride is not spectacular, but nice enough. Enjoy

Old Apr 9th, 2001, 04:38 PM
anne

I think it is worth it! We took our children up at dusk. The lights of the city were brilliant. The line went fairly quickly. The capsule is not<BR>so small where you would feel claustrophobic (sp?). I say go for it!

Old Apr 10th, 2001, 03:54 AM
Alex

Amita - definitely worth going on the Eye - I've been twice: and did pre-book both times, but if you are going on a weekday in Sept then you may not need to. Dusk is for me the best time - a really superb view of all the sites. However, I think dusk and weekends are most popular so prob best to pre-book then. Unfortunately though that means you are at the mercy of the weather - first time we went it poured, the crowds were pretty big (but still only a 15 minute wait)and the capsule got very steamed up! But 25 people in a capsule is just fine - not crowded at all, although the last time I went (January), we were lucky to have just 10 people in all.

Old Apr 13th, 2001, 10:58 PM
Lucie

I too am considering the London Eye but I'm afraid of heights... Do you think I will panic in there like I would in a regular open air wheel? Are we seated far way from the windows so we don't feel like we're going to fall? <BR> <BR>

Old Apr 14th, 2001, 09:45 AM
linda

Lucie, <BR> <BR>You are seated in the middle of the pod. It goes so slowly that you do not feel as if you are moving. There is no sensation of falling. It is not like a ferris wheel. Enjoy yourself.

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 04:35 PM
upsy daisy

<BR>upupupupupupupup for jane!

Old May 1st, 2001, 12:27 AM
britabroad

to the top. <BR>