Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is the last week of March busy in Paris?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26th, 2003, 07:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Planning our first trip to Paris (yippee!). Is the last week of March a busy tourist time in Paris?
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 08:01 PM

I can't think of anything special at the end of March. There are some fashion shows that affect hotel and airline availability, but those are mainly in early February, I think. If you are talking about next year, the only thing I can think of is that Easter is very early in 2004 and there are lots of tourists in Paris at Easter time -- but Holy Week starts April 4th next year, so I think you are fine.
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 05:06 AM
ira

Hi,

I suggest that for better weather, and still low air fares you do the 2nd or third week in April.

The chestnuts will be in blossom and it won't be quite so cold and rainy.

Try http://airtravelcenter.com/onetrav.htm
for discount fares.
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 05:12 AM

We were in Paris one year the last week of March and while Easter was the beginning of April, there was Good Friday. We only had the problem of closed stores for a day. There was a holiday bike race which closed the streets which made it even better for sightseeing! But restaurants will close too..check your holiday calendar to be sure.
The weather for us was great, chilly, temps in the 50's but sunny and breezy. We were able to comfortably walk all over the city.
You will have a wonderful time
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 05:58 AM

The Paris weather was beautiful the last week in March, this year and last.

No predictions for next year

Keith
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 03:49 PM

hey vegaslove! (i'm a vegas lover too, going in oct). we took a girls trip last year the last week of march and it was fantastic. spring was in the air! there is a festival near versailles i think at that time (i'm blanking on the name). maybe a film festival going on.
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 08:02 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
I have been in Paris the third or fourth week in March three out of the past four years. One time it was very rainy, one time it was lovely and sunny, and one time it was a combination of the two.

None of these weeks was marked by huge tourist crowds. Some sites had long lines but the Carte Musee helped us avoid these lines at the Louvre, Musee d'Orsay, and Versailles.
Old Aug 30th, 2003, 06:13 AM

I've been in Paris the end of March. It is a great time to go, because it is not too crowded then.

One suggestion: Schedule your trip for after the daylight-savings time change. I think this is the last Sunday in March. In 2004 this will be March 28. If you wait a few days before leaving, you will have more hours of daylight during your visit.